1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Band-Aid Got Ripped Off Today

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by tscott, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think all you can really do is keep talking to her.... I don't know if you've shared with her your thoughts from yesterday evening's post, but they were very heartfelt, and that's probably a good place to start. She needs to know that this is not just some excuse to move on, but a way for you to be a whole person, for them as well as you. You could tell her that the reason you TOLD her this, instead of just packing up and leaving, was so that you could work toward the future together, even if the end result is that you won't be a married couple. That you don't want to knock her and the kids down as you open the closet door, and you're not trying to escape--and you don't want HER to feel that she has to escape either. That you still want to be an active father to the kids and a friend to her, and that for what it's worth, you still love her, even if you can't be her lover.

I feel for you so much, tscott....It's a rough position to be in, knowing that shaking up someone else's life is the only way to make your own life tolerable and real. I truly hope she can freeze the frame long enough to see that. We may see our future with some as-yet nameless guy, but we want to salvage some of the relationship that we've spent years in as well. Keep in touch, friend.

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Leaving the house is an unwarranted overreaction, as is "rushing in" to anything. You need to calm her down; get her some sedatives and a counselor (not a lawyer) right away. This is not an emergency like a fire in the house; call a doctor, not an ambulance.

3. tscott

As if life couldn't get any better...I go a photo ticket and bounced a cheque...went from a slight, very slight thaw to an even deeper freeze that before...I may get frostbite befor the day is out...we're hosting a cocktail party tonight...fun, fun, fun...oh and she saw a text from an unfamiliar person...a friend...my explaination was met with big suspision...like a I would take a lover with a drinking issue...I don't have enough problems:bang:.

4. ormanout

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would suggest you ask her to do some couples counseling with you. It's as important to consider HOW two people separate, as it is for them to consider how to live together. It's often referred to in counseling settings as "de-coupling" therapy. Our lives are full of entanglements and interwoven elements. When we part suddenly and in haste, we forever damage each other in ways that cannot always be repaired. If you have children, there will NEVER be a point at which your lives don't have need of some sort of relationship. What does the new relationship need to be?

5. tscott

Thanks for the sound advise...right now she will go to the therapist with me only if it fits her schedule...this isn't even a week old yet...I don't think se'd go with me without it involving the children. The new relationship definitely needs to be something other than this.

6. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My wife has been consistently unwilling to see a therapist, even when the issue was simply that we had trouble getting along. That shouldn't stop you from seeing one by yourself, though, or trying to change how you present your own feelings and thoughts to her. You can't change a person, but if you change how you relate to them, they pretty much have to adapt in some way. Since coming out to my wife, I've made an effort to be more assertive and direct (not to the point of being threatening, of course--very challenging when dealing with someone as insecure and paranoid as she can be). Also a LOT more patient. This is brand new to her too, after all. And all in all, after 4 months, while we're not getting along like best friends by a long shot, we HAVE reached a kind of equilibrium that's livable for now. We're actually been out-and-out fighting less than we have in years, surprisingly enough.

Something else you can do during those stony silences is to do some mapping out of how YOU would like things to play out in the long run. You will always be dealing with other people and you can't control what they do or how they react, but it helps to have a few basic goals in mind. If you're in Milwaukee and want to get to Seattle, but don't have a map, you can still think about hitting I-94 towards Minneapolis and make a few guesses about where to head after that.

My end goal on a practical level is to lighten some of the debt load we're carrying so that when I leave, my wife can still keep the house. On a personal level, it's to miss as little as possible of what's left of my daughters' childhoods, and maintain enough civility between my wife and me that we can salvage some semblance of a friendly relationship. I don't want our 20 years of shared history completely flushed down the toilet, and I don't want to leave her emotionally shattered. I can tell you that I've done a lot of dancing around with all of those goals, and there have been days where I've asked myself why I didn't just pack up and start hitting Craigslist for any quickie I could get. But although this isn't exactly speeding along, I feel that it's how I need it to be.

A lot of your situation sounds very familiar. Be as patient and understanding as you can, but summon up all the strength you have. You will not wake up tomorrow and go "Wow! Today is 1000% better than yesterday!" But you make up next month and think, "Wow, this month has been a hell of a lot better than last month." Take care.

#26 Choirboy, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  7. Pete1970

tscott,

i am going through the same thing. She wants to tell the kids so she could move on and have her boyfriends. The only real concern i have now is how this will affect the kids. They dont deserve to have divorced parents but is it worse to have them live like this anymore? I just cant bear the thought of not having a day to day life with them. I just dont know what to do now

8. tscott

She took my wedding band and said she'd rather I not wear it...she thinks I've cheated on her because of a text from a new aquaintance, nothing sexual in the message or between us nor would their be...he's been a sympathetic ear...that's all...I wish she'd have asked is all...really pissed and really hurt.

9. tscott

I got a text later today saying she'd be taking the kids to youth group, and she does not want to attend chuch with me in the future which further cuts me off from my youngest daughter...my vicar feels that since my children have found a home at this church that I should go to this other one...I have to agree, but I really love this church and the people...The one suggested has a gay vicar who's married...she'll still be for the time be my pastoral minister...but she thinks it would be better if I went there...she still thinks we'll make it through and end up friends, but I am doubtful...I see both the vicar and my therapist next week...I know I didn't want this or sign up for any of this...If I move out for a couple of days I don't think she'll see it as a breather...it'll be just me whoring around...that's the most unkind cut, because I have been faithful...and damned if I don't want to just to get back some of my own...knowing full well how stupid that is...I can't tell if I want to explode or melt into a puddle of tears.

10. Richie.

It's hard things are changing no one likes change. Don't worry it will work out. It has too

11. tscott

Well, apparently I've been outed to my eldest daughter, who is convinced I've cheated on my wife...how do I even begin to disabuse myself of that one...life only gets better...apparently I am sick and disgusting...but apparently not so much so that she still couldn't borrow my car.:***:

12. Aldrick

Okay, I want to give you some advice TScott, but I want to clarify that I understand things correctly first. Are you saying that your wife outed you to your eldest daughter, AND told her that you've been cheating?

If that's the case, then in my opinion a red line was crossed right there. It not only begins to drag the kids into the situation, but it also involves a lie that slanders you in your daughters eyes. Unacceptable.

In one of your earlier messages you said that your wife told you that you needed to tell the kids. I didn't see in any of your later messages where you noted that you've done that. Assuming that the others still don't know, now that your eldest daughter is aware that you're gay, the chances of your other children finding out are very high.

I'd advise you to sit them down (without your wife) and talk to them. This preemptively prevents them from finding out in a manner that you can't control, and prevents your wife (or eldest daughter) from painting an inaccurate picture.

Finally, I recommend you speak to your wife about how things are unfolding. Let her know that it's unacceptable that she's involved your eldest daughter, and that she's lied about you having an affair. Just because you're moving to end the marriage, doesn't mean that she gets to slander you, shut you out of their lives, or turn you into some type of emotional punching bag. There is a line between being compassionate toward her feelings, and allowing her to engage in behavior that is destructive to you and your family.

You are not a villain.

13. Pete1970

Sorry Tscott,

From what ive read on your posts, you are doing this in a very compassionate and kind to your wife way.

And you are not sick and disgusting

14. tscott

My eldest doesn't live at home...we've had a contentious relationship for a while now and her emotions always run very high...my eldest had borrowed my phone when I got a text from a friend, just a friend...he's gay and he would have been unfamiliar to either of them...that's when it all started...the message was about his having to work outside and needing to get warmed up...non-sexual, very innocent, no double entendres...I did lie saying it was someone with whom I worked, but the other kids were about...in any event...I can only assume conclusions were jumped to and thus the end results...my wife does want to the me to speak to the other kids so I'm sure that nothing would be said to them...yes, a line was crossed, but it can't be undone...for all I know my daughter pushed the issue with my wife (my wife and I are not exactly having any conversations that involve more than a word or two)...see my therapist on Tuesday and the vicar at my "old" church on Wednesday...I'll bring it up at these meetings...on another note...met the vicar at my new church...he's gay, but the new church's congregation is less gay than the previous one.

15. flatlander48

One thing to remember is that none of this is anyone's fault. You are just playing the cards that you have been dealt. However, what does come into play is how we react to the situation. It is SO EASY to become angry, aggressive, defensive, etc. but that's only going to feel good for a very short period of time. Also, if your wife is in a very agitated state, your being in a similar state will only throw gasoline on the fire. There's a lot of pent-up anger and frustration. Sometimes we cope in a reverse manner by withdrawing, not speaking, etc. but sooner or later the anger and frustration will surface. If the situation goes to that, you can only make it worst.

16. tscott

Well, the deception issue w/my wife is overall...should not have waited from November until now to come out to her...my eldest is feeding off that...I've been laying low...trying not to react, vented to my priest's partner...I've been very good about supressing my anger over the years...told her her feelings are her feelings, but that I won't be a punching bag for anyone.

17. flatlander48

The thing to remember is that there is a point at which people stop listening. If there is something that needs to be discussed, presented, a decision made, etc. staying away from that point is significant. Rarely does anything good happen once that point is past...

18. tscott

flatlander48:

Can you elaborate...I guess I'm not understanding?

19. flatlander48

Sure...

This relates to situations where something has to get discussed and decided, or at least understood. I think between you and your wife there is A LOT of anger and frustration just below the surface. Maybe she has been very quiet, as you said, because she knows that if she started taking or listening, that anger and frustration would come out. Hard to say, but it's a possibility.

But, anger has the tendency to blind us and we just focus on the rage inside. If it is her, she won't be capable of hearing much of what you might say because the anger and rage is so strong. It tends to drown out everything.

As a case in point, have you ever listened to someone as they vented? They are stuck on getting out whatever is on their mind. Anything that you say will have a hard time penetrating...

So, as you talk to your wife, it is good not to let the conversation sink into a place where the rage and anger takes over. Works both way, too. Remember the old saying:

"When you are up to your ass in alligators, it is hard to remember that the initial objective was to drain the swamp...".

#39 flatlander48, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  20. tscott