1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anime Discussion!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by chivalrous, Jan 2, 2014.

1. kaypulu

FAIRY TAIL!!! - Oh my god, the best and the only long anime series that I watch. I feel that series like one piece and naruto take forever to get on the story and they are just so bleh. But fairy tail ♥ ! I started to read the manga (and the wikipages...) oohhh! Natsu, Lucy, Gray, Jellal, Loke... I reaaally love everything that is about friendship and fairy tail has that covered with action, magic, BOOBS and SIX-PACKS. Yes. The plot thickens really nicely I love how everything is connected to everything. Fairy Tail's OVAs are super fun too.

Pandora Hearts - what an amazing series with the most disappointing ending! I was really into it, but it left many things untold. Like why the fuck have all these little details that would've gone perfectly together, and then end it without explaining half of the stuff? Still a great anime though.

Kuroshitsuji/Black butler - first season SOLID GOLD, second season mmm fine. That's all I have to say, it's a great series, I enjoyed it. A very decent amount of horror mixed in too and it has funny yaoi hints, but it's not boys love at all.

Boondocks, so much fun. Yakitate is also fun, I've watched Death Note halfway trough and I won't finish it ever probably. I've seen every episode of Magic Knight Rayearth as a kid, don't remember too much of it though.. Aaaand some boyslove series, sekai-ichi, junjou romantica, gravitation ughhh... Gakuen heaven, Sukisho, no memory of the last two whatsoever. And then there's the series I never finished and series I really don't care about. Like Ouran high school hostclub (?), tokyo mew mew, katekyo hitman reborn, elfen lied.

If we're only talking about anime series then that's my share, but besides these I've also seen almost every Ghibli/Miyazaki movie (Panda go Panda, Totoro (ugh),Kiki's delivery service, Porco Rosso, Pompoko, Whisper of the heart, Princess Mononoke, My neighbors the Yamadas, Spirited Away, Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro, Howl's moving castle, Ponyo, Arrietty, Ocean Waves, Nausicaä, that cat movie) from which I really enjoyed Pom Poko, Ponyo, Porco Rosso, Mononoke, Spirited Away and Castle of cagliostro, oh and Nausicaä.

I've also seen Paprika and Tokyo Godfathers. And If you can count these; Advent Children and bunch of Resident Evil movies. That's about it. Plus pokemon and digimon and yugioh, but these were dubbed in finnish so megapuke.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's the deal with dub hate? Why do people think the japanese dialogue is so much better for anything?

I don't get why people act that way.

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Eh. I just choose the one that sounds better.
    Dub vs. Sub has always been a pretty prominent part of any given anime fandom.
    Something akin to brand loyalty. That's probably why everything gets so worked up about the issue.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fair, but people who say "japanese only" and "dubs suuuucccckkk" come off as elitist without any good reason. I've never heard someone before you say "I choose the one that sounds better".

It's always "dubs suck". I've never heard "subs suck" before.

Brand loyalty I get, but it's always disparaging remarks from sub fans.

5. Simple Thoughts

I couldn't tell you. If I'm going to bother watching a show in a language I cannot understand therefore I have to read the dialog ( which breaks the whole reason you're watching a show in the first place ) it's going to be for a good show that's worth it like 'Case Closed'

6. chivalrous

I'm not trying to be elitist but when you watch over a hundred different series of animes and about 1/5 of those in english dubbed you find that the dialogue speed and the voice acting just don't match up to how it should be played regularly I'm not saying that a English dubbed is terrible just for me most of it is. The only exception to the rule is full metal alchemist and soul eater and naruto (not shippuden) apparently the new cowboy bepop has good dubbed but I haven't seen it yet to judge. Most people I see who prefer dubbed mostly tell me they just can't be bothered reading subs. But I think as long as we watch anime we minus well endorse ourselves in Japanese culture and try to pick up a new language. Des yo ne?

7. kaypulu

I can give some sort of an answer to this on behalf of a non-english speaking person.

There are many countries which prefer to dub everything on TV (Spain) or they just show series mainly in their native language (Germany), but where I'm from (Finland) a huge percent of the shows in TV are not in Finnish. We are one of the few who way-back-then decided to not get into dubbing. So, for me at least, TV = subtitles, subtitles everywhere. Everything is subtitled and only some kids shows are dubbed.

There's always the chance that the dubbing sucks ass, which is the case in every kids show in Finland. Disney's animated movies are the only things that have been dubbed super well, but everything else... I mean just check out this English vs Finnish dub on digimon:

Digimon English Dub vs Finnish Dub - YouTube from 5.10-10:10 it's the Finnish dub. Yes, this is legit, they showed somewhat 20 episodes of this in TV.

So when I see that the series is available either subbed or dubbed my brain goes immediately to this, and I'd much rather ''bother'' with just reading what they're saying, than listen to this shit. Or as I'd like to call this, I'd much rather watch anime the way I watch everything on TV; with subtitles. With subs you can hear the original language and you will know when something could've been subbed in another way. Subs are also rather helpful when you want to learn a new language.

For native speakers then. I'd say it's more of a question of ''why the hell would you bother to read tiny text while you're watching this, when you could just sit back and listen?''. You aren't used to subs, so why try them out now? And some English subs on English shows which I've seen on Netflix have been super horrible. Subs written in all-caps or all cursive or changing colours when someone else is speaking? Hrrrrr.... Seeing these horrible subs I understand the ones who prefer dubs.

Dubs, subs, both are fine but flawed. But I personally prefer subs, it's easy and I get to hear the dialogue how it originally was done, like I do when I watch English shows.

8. chivalrous

Amen to that kaypulu, I think that both subbed and dubbed can both have flaws in them but I also do believe most people are not used to them and would just want to sit back and watch the anime without having to put any effort into reading, I however do sit back and relax as I am used to watching and reading harmonically I've been doing it for years it just takes time to develop. I like to think I'm being more patriotic though by watching the show in its original language rather then in English dubbed

9. Eevar

3 favourites, Azumanga Daioh, AKB0048 and Fairy Tail.

Most hated, Gon. Thankfully it didn't last long.

I generally watch subs, as they are released first. If I watch an older anime, I go for whats available for the first episode, then every episode I watch has got to be what the 1st was, or it sounds weird with the voices changing. Although since the majority of anime I've watched over the years has been subbed, I've become accustomed to that, so tend to try to find subbed versions, and only watch dubbed if I can't find subbed or get bored trying to find subbed.

10. chivalrous

Seeing as 2 people have brought up fairy tail which i love to bits i am going to talk about fairy tail and i hope! that people have watched it otherwise i shall change the discussion to sword art online (its a 26 episode anime. which is not to long for you to watch) . So fairy tail! I wish i could see lucy fight more. she was supposed to be the main character but natsu seems to be having the longer fights. i know she did fight alot in the tournament and all but she lost. and i was sooo sad when she lost against flare. the only fight she has won was between some amateur people from a dark guild and against angel but only when she did a unison raid. i wish she would fight more and be more stronger. im still waiting for her to use Capricorn who i think would be a awesome fighter :frowning2:

Otherwise if not sword art online i will change it to log horizon (its a new anime like sword art online but do not compare them and say they are the same, they are different!)

If you have no idea of any of these animes just continue posting your favourite anime and least favourite and il join in on your discussion i <3 anime so ive seen alot of them

#50 chivalrous, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  11. kaypulu

Oh yeah it's true that she hasn't used Capricorn at all, huh weird. But I feel like she's done lots of fighting, or at least showed that she has some serious power in her, like when she saved Loke from not vanishing from the world, and she has performed Unison Raid twice. She won Bickslow! And she helped Natsu to win Gajeel with Sagittarius. And she saved Natsu from that falling raft, although she ended up falling with him, after that battle with Angel. Then again I really love Natsu battles, it's amazing how he can muster up strength even when he's supposed to be so done that he shouldn't move. I also think that it's a nice touch that Gajeel vs Natsu hasn't really ever had a clear outcome, shows that the first gen dragon slayers are both very strong. I don't feel that Fairy Tail has necessarily only one main character.

I really love Natsu and Lucy's relationship. They both believe in each other and they've both saved eachothers asses multiple times, though I love more to see Lucy fly across the sky knowing that Natsu will be there to catch her. Because Natsu was there when Grey tried to make the iced shell and when Erza went inside the R-system lachrima.

What else then. I'd like to see more of Loke, I feel like he just appears and then he has to go away. I really hated the Edolas arc, GOSH it was so pointless and long and dull and I hated the villains. And when they were back for the Key of the Starry Sky arc? Just kill me. Although rebirth Oracion Seis was coooooool! (I just checked the wiki page, I didn't know that Starry sky was Anime exclusive story arc. Fairy tail has surprisingly good anime exclusive arcs, like aren't they really meant for to just give the manga some extra time before the Anime catches up with it? But still, I could've done without this one...)

and there was something else... OH the fact that many story arcs revolve around capturing lucy, it's ridiculous. Like the phantom thing and Starry sky and it seems that she has to be captured for the grand magic games too. BLEH.

#51 kaypulu, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. I do have a couple friends that can't really do subs, but that's because of issues such as dyslexia. As far as my opinion of dubs, if they are done well (which doesn't seem to happen that often in English) they are excellent, but if they aren't, they are terrible. There are so many aspects involved in dubbing that can destroy it, from bad or inappropriate voice actors to a translation that can't possibly fit the timing of a scene. Sometimes even the general sound of a certain language might fit a series better. For example, I actually preffer the German dub of Last Exile to the original Japanese, or the English dub. My German comprehension is fairly low, so subs are still turned on, but the sounds of the language fit the scenes better (it's a steampunk type anime with mostly world war era Germanic visual themes surrounding the equipment and costuming), the voice actors fit the charecters better, and the timing of the dialog fits the scenes better.

13. chivalrous

What i want to be seeing more of which is what i love about the show fairy tail is when lucy and natsu take on jobs there generally fun and great, but i also love the arcs its a good show! but yes if i saw lucy taking on more jobs independently i think that would make for a good episode. i dont see why she cant she has that second origin thing and is strong with her celestials. and yes events revolve around lucy yet she never takes part in any of it. like remeber the arc where they were trying to capture lucy because of a job? well she didnt even participate in any of the fights mirajane took her place!

14. GreyFox

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate to say it, but I'm kind of a fan of dubs- i tend to like the voice actors they get for shows!

the shows I watched when I was younger (and still watch!) are: Sailor Moon, DBZ/DBGT, Digimon, Card Captors, and Pokemon from time to time.

15. Simple Thoughts

DBZ is awesome...GT was a dissapointment, and I loved sailor moon :3

16. chivalrous

The dubs for those shows were good. i never watched card raptors though as a kid.
    and i had a feeling dbgt would be terrible so i never watched it

17. thekillingmoon

The reason why I don't like subs is because the original voice actors are better. They have a certain intonation that english speakers fail to convey. It just doesn't sound as good and I have no problem with reading subtitles. It's kind of like if you were going to read a book in the language it was written or you could read the translated version and it would be ok, but the original is always better.

18. Simple Thoughts

GT killed DBZ...Vegeta had a mustache, Goten ( who's hair is supposed to be uncut-able) had a way different hair style, and all of the newly introduced characters sucked and the things that made the old ones great were stripped from them. It was just a giant middle finger to the fans.

19. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I must agree. Look up the term "lost in translation". Basically, every culture has their own idioms. Translated literally, and you completely loose the meaning. You need to find comparable idioms, or sometimes change things slightly to fit. The problem with translations, sometimes you change something early on to fit, and later on in the story, what was changed doesn't fit at all, or becomes a major issue. For a work to be translated without these issues would require the work to already be complete and self contained (few are, most everything references something else somewhere along the line) and multiple passes, first to get a rough translation, then reviewing the translations to clean them up, and make sure they are consistent the whole way thru. Most anime and manga have the final translations of the begining parts released while the work is still in progress (the original might only be a few volumes or episodes ahead)

20. PurpleGrey

I prefer subs, but I make it a point to also try the dubs at least once if there are dubs.

The only dub I hate is for Fruits Basket. The high voices are annoying and Yuki sounds like a molester. Shigure is okay, though.

Also Azumanga has its "Blue Three" moment. :bang: