1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it okay to be a feminist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pane123, Dec 27, 2013.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because initially the problem was that women were stuck so far behind men that the point needed to be made. It was about proving that women were actually worth the air they breathe rather than that they were equal to men. It's all well and good asking for 'equality' but when they turn around and said 'you look pretty equal to me' you have to change it a bit, hence feminism instead of anything else.

2. Hexagon

Because women are the ones who are oppressed, and have suffered oppression throughout history. Don't get me wrong, men can suffer as a result of gender roles, and discrimination against us can occur, but the vast majority oppresses women, and men are usually responsible for it. We shouldn't forget or ignore it.

You know, we call it Queer rights, not sexuality equality.

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It's called "feminism" because the problems that men and women face are all caused by the patriarchy, which is the power structure by which men hold power in society. It's obvious how this hurts women, but all the problems that men have are also caused by their dominant position in society.

Men aren't allowed to show emotions because they're supposed to be strong and in charge because of the patriarchy. Male victims of sexual assault aren't taken seriously because there's no way a man wouldn't be strong enough to fight of an attacker because men are supposed to be strong because of the patriarchy. Gay sex is seen as demeaning towards men because a man is supposed to be dominant over his partner (and thus the other man is submitting to a subordinate position) because of the patriarchy. Men are judged by how many sexual partners they've had and shamed for being virgins because of the rigid standards of masculinity that exist in our society that men impose on themselves because of the patriarchy.

All of these problems arise because maleness and masculinity are valued over femaleness and femininity. Feminism aims to address the problems that face both sexes by elevating femaleness and femininity to be regarded as on the same level as maleness and masculinity. Calling it "feminism" keeps that goal, that purpose, at the front of our minds.

Boom.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree, and I really have to question exactly what extreme definitions. And where, in the academic community, as opposed to somebody's random blog or tumblr that they just made up, are these "extreme definitions" being pushed?

5. kulele

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Totally okay to be a feminist, imo! However, in the feminist ideology, as a man you have privilege, so you also need to acknowledge the backseat you need to take in feminism. :slight_smile:

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Regarding calling the pursuit "gay rights", I don't think that's asking for a lot. True sexual equality is a whole different beast. Women have advanced beyond being kitchen slaves and arm candy for the most part, so gender equality is a reasonable goal. The former though is still a bit distant as I see it.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I always hear of these extreme man-hating feminists, but I've never once been led to the existence of any of these apparently really vocal groups. I've never been told anything that "misandry" has ever done, nor who committed the act. The best arguments (which were terrible) were links to an extremely distorted interpretations of "influential" feminists who apparently represent us all (who were really obscure and had basically no following).

My conclusion is that it's just a bullshit excuse that's trickled down into people actually thinking they exist in great numbers.

Of course, to a lot of men not agreeing to be inferior qualifies as man-hating.

However, if we talk about racism and classism present in feminism, then we've got a serious talk, one in need of exploration and exposure. White feminism is really harmful, but we're distracted trying to refute claims of misandry from misogynists.

8. Hexagon

In the west. For white middle class women. Yeah, sure. But what about everyone else? And really, there are still issues, like unequal pay etc.

9. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think black lesbian women have had it the most difficult.

10. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm surprised no one has posted this TEDx talk yet.

[YOUTUBE]hg3umXU_qWc[/YOUTUBE]

11. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for replying guys, that's made it fit together much better in my head. It makes better sense now and I can now see why it's called feminism :slight_smile:

12. Foxface

Of course OP!

As Pret said, welcome to the team! We need more men folk to recognize that inequality still exists and fight for that equality

Just remember, true feminism is gender equality, not what the naysayers say (feminazis and such)

And don't worry about past mistakes. I was terribly mysoginistic as a youngin, people can change

Foxface

#32 Foxface, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  13. Daydream Harp

Pretty much this.

Also just because there exists some extremists it doesn't mean all feminists are like that, it would be like saying everyone who likes Heavy Metal are elitists who are pro-church burning: yes there is a loud minority being loud like that, but most people who like Metal aren't that idiotic. It seems way to often people assume you refer to the sexist extremist kind just by using the word, which is a shame.

14. Simple Thoughts

Women can vote, so patriarchy is out of the window. They get just as much representation with their vote as my vote gets, and in fact no one panders to men, but they sure do pander to women voters so I'd lay out the argument we're closer to a matriarchy than a patriarchy...btw I'm just kidding, there is no matriarchy or patriarchy. That's just silly nonsense that stopped being valid decades ago.

Do men have a negative view of women? Yes, but that's more to do with rap music than a patriarchy.

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Aw, a man telling women that their struggles are now irrelevant despite copious evidence. How enlightening and refreshing. I think all feminists will change our misguided ways now.

That post is the epitome of mansplaining. You literally brushed aside sexism by calling it "silly nonsense" (read: don't bother your pretty head).

16. Simple Thoughts

*sighs* You're missing the point. Nice mix of emotional appeal and distraction though, I appreciate someone who's good at argument.

When I said 'Silly nonsense' I was referring to the idea that there was currently a 'patriarchy' not 'Sexism' I'm not even sure how you got that confused. 0.o

I even went on to damn rap music for being misogynistic.

I'm 100% behind gender equality, but fighting an imaginary patriarchy is no way to solve the problem -.-'

17. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You still have struggles for equally. It's not as though everything is perfect now because women can vote.

18. Simple Thoughts

Again, missing the point. -.-'

I never said men and women were equal, I said there was no patriarchy.

Media is the enemy here, they parade women left and right as sex objects...especially rap music anymore these days. They influence people's beliefs with their music, and their value is misogny so how do you think people are going to be influenced?

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Patriarchy isn't imaginary, but it's not a formal set of rules. Sexism is basically the same. That men control almost all wealth in the world is patriarchy. That men have almost all senior political appointments, are vastly over-represented in parliaments, and massively dominate business and diplomacy is patriarchy. That women are held to a set of standards benefiting men and made my men is patriarchy. That the most powerful religious organisation on Earth (and most other churches, too) has only men in senior positions is patriarchy. That three-quarters of people in poverty are women is patriarchy.

Sexism generally is patriarchy, and denying its existence is ignoring the biggest obstacle to gender equality.

20. Simple Thoughts

I'm staying out of this one. You seem fairly set in your ways. Carry on with your concept of a patriarchy meanwhile lil Wayne will teach young kids what to think about women and then they'll grow up into voters and all the progress that was made by the women's rights movement will be wasted...but it's cool.

I actually do need to clarify. I'm speaking specifically about America...I don't know much in the international realm. There probably are several patriarchies that need dealt with their.