LGBT Sex Education

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Dec 27, 2013.

?

LGBT Sex Education Rating

1. 1. "I Never Received Any LGBT Inclusive Sex Ed"

79 vote(s)
    76.7%
  2. 2.

12 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. 3. "I Received Some LGBT Inclusive Education"

10 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. 4.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5. "I Received Half Of My Knowledge From Sex Education"

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. 6.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7. "I Received Most Of My Knowledge From Sex Education"

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. 8.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 9. "I Learned Everything I Needed From Sex Education"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10. "I Have Taken An LGBT Specific Course On Sex Ed"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Nope. Even when I was in public school, it was pretty cis/het oreintated. And while they at least made an effort to cover contraseptives, there was a definite pro-abstinence angle.

Everything I learned about LGBT sex and relationships, I had to research myself. It was how I learned about how to have safe gay sex and what transpeople were...

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We got nothin'.

3. Simple Thoughts

I've never had any sort of lgbt specific sexual education.

I'm pretty sure in America if you try to introduce LGBT sex ed into a school system the republicans would fight to the death on keeping you from doing so.

4. justjade

Never had LGBT sex ed in high school. While I was going to a Christian school, the only thing they taught us was that being gay was bad, being trans was bad, and accepting anyone who's either one or both is bad.

5. My Two Wings

It would've been nice to have had sex education period. In the lovely state of Virginia, sex education is not required at all, and any school that chooses to offer it must send a notice home to parents and allow them to opt their children out. I remember getting one of those notices in high school, but then I guess they got rid of that part of health class.

I think the closest I got to sex ed in school was a pamphlet in fifth grade that briefly explained the ins and outs of puberty, some brief STD education in health class in middle/high school, and a video we watched in high school that once again focused mostly on puberty-related stuff. Most of my sex education came from the internet.

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In high school, all I had was Health class but I took it online so I really didn't get any in-class lecture on sex period.

But then again...

Can I blame Texas for not including this?

7. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I skipped every single sex ed course from k-12. The thought of having to learn about the opposite sex grossed me out. I still know everything I need to.

8. Adhoc

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Elementary school sex-ed basically covered the basics of puberty-- outlining the changes that would happen to the body, describing good hygiene habits, etc.

High school sex-ed for me covered most topics of heterosexual intercourse and safe-sex, along with how to recognize and prevent STDs, etc.

I only remember one direct reference to LGBT sex-ed, and that was in the form of a warning that "LGBT persons could still get STDs, so they aren't 'risk-free' just because they can't get pregnant." Needless to say, the significance of the risk of AIDS wasn't thoroughly covered.

9. djone12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    in the state of tenisse it is illegal to teach about gay peaple so non what so ever

10. nonbinarym

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Since I started middle school 2 years ago(I'm know in 8th), boys and girls weren't separated. They were before, but not in middle. Last year, my science teacher didn't really talk specifically about it, but he dropped hints that applied to everyone, whether LGBT or not. During the last two weeks of school, there's a box. A question box that the teacher has at the front of the room for people who may want to ask the teacher a question that they don't want to share with the class. During those last two weeks, anything you tell the teacher is confidential. He told us a story about how one year a boy wrote him a long and elaborate letter telling him that he was gay. That was pretty much it, though...