1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT folks and music preference

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Dec 27, 2013.

1. AlamoCity

What music genres do y'all listen to most often? Do you suppose being LGBT predisposed you in some way (whether through the environment our through your very nature) to certain genres?

It just seems the stereotype is that all LGBT folks listen to pop/dance music/Lady Gaga-esque music. Is this your favorite genre?

I personally don't mind such music styles if I hear it in a store, but won't shell out money on iTunes for such songs and they're nothing to write home about. Now, Charley Pride's "Mississippi Cotton Pickin' Delta Town" and "Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show will cause me to buy the entire album. That said, my parents listen to country so that probably influenced my likes.

To this day, I don't know the name of a single Beyonce, Madonna, or Britney Spears song (checks Google, learns Beyonce sang "All The Single Ladies" :bang:slight_smile:. I find this interesting because stereotypes tell me that if I go to a gay bar, I'll probably find all of this music blasting through so that would probably predispose a lot of LGBT folks of certain age (i.e. over 21, or the equivalent drinking age in your jurisdiction) to the pop stars by association with the environment that is safe for their orientation.

Don't want to make blanket statements so I'm curious to know y'alls favorite genres in music and how y'all got such preferences.

2. Hexagon

I would be delighted to massacre this stereotype. I like folk, indie, post rock and punk. And associated genres.

3. The Spark

Anything from Christian metal to folk to Lana Del Ray to Florence + the Machine to Imagine Dragons.

4. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anything rock, metal, indie orientated!

5. Caitlin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally, I'm a fan of metal and rock music, anything similar also.

6. Daydream Harp

While I like some electronic music, I find Lady Gaga to be more interesting in what she tries to do rather than what she actually does (that and the whole "Gaga is a man" meme thingy have caused a lot of transphobia it seems which I am really sad about). Musically I much prefer Progressive Rock, Prog Metal, Mathrock/Core, Jazz Metal, Orchestral Metal and Folk Metal in various forms, though I listen to a little of nearly everything.

7. timo

I like indie, rock, punk pop, metal- and hardcore. Stuff like that. And like Hex said:

8. thekillingmoon

electronic, indie, alt rock

I don't really listen to radio pop like Katy Perry and etc.

9. kem

kem

indie-rock, pop, electronic, jazz, classic, R&B, hip-hop, rap. Anything as long as it's good and inventive

10. tulman

Classic Country, Bluegrass, Southern Gospel

11. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I do primary like metal music, especially black metal. But I also believe wholeheartedly that my musical preferences do not gain value or prestige for not fitting the stereotypes, nor do they lose value or prestige for fitting the stereotypes. Which is why I'm not ashamed to say that Top 40 is probably my secondary musical love right now. (Granted, I think 2013 was a fantastic year for the Top 40, and a lot of my favorites of the year are crossover hits, so that's probably why.)

12. KazTastic

Ewww pop music.

OK, I'll admit that I'll listen to some of it ironically (apart from Ladyhawke, who is freaking awesome), but it has to be pretty bad, and from the early-mid 90s.

I prefer alternative rock (listening to Muse while writing this), Riot Grrl, grunge, punk, metal, some techno (stuff like The Prodigy, Pendulum, not dumbstep), some indie rap, even some stereotypical "gay" music gets played (Placebo, Scissor Sisters, early Madonna, Kylie Minogue).

Most of the music I like is from 1985-2005, with some exceptions.

13. Xochipilli

My music preferences are, for the most part, stereotypical. I love Our Lady of Gaga!

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Uh huh. Favorite genres are Black, Death, and Symphonic Metal, here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I mainly listen to rap. And definitely not today's rap except for Kendrick Lamar. I usually listen to Nas, Run-DMC, Outkast, 2pac etc.

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I favor instrumental music, especially classical, folk (incl. Celtic), and "world" (the most ill defined genre ever). I'm mainly ignorant of most modern music, but some of them can be boring. Most of my preferences come from listening to my local classical radio station and being a classically-trained musician myself.

17. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mostly listen to 90s rock. There are small smatterings of other stuff in my music collection, and there are a few pop songs I like more than I care to admit.

18. binda94

i listen to everything except rap and hip hop am a huge Simple Plan fan then Aslan and Garth Brooks i know very old fashioned for a teen

19. Harve

Aye.

I don't think my music tastes scream ragingly masculine, but they're not too feminine either. I'm not sure where electronic music falls in the whole spectrum, but it's mainly produced by guys. I'll listen to indie rock again. One day.

Oh and Beyoncé's new album is dead good, honest.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jazz - R&B - classic rock - pop (if not too stupid) - great movie soundtracks (instrumental, not vocal) - classical - will not listen to most country unless it's rock-country fusion and will not listen to rap.

And, since it's still the season, here's a little bit of country that's not too bad, actually, because it's more of a "gold standard" than anything else:

Dolly Parton - Hard Candy Christmas w/Lyrics - YouTube