1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the Walking Dead need more/any LGBTQ Characters

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by agonizingnose, Dec 21, 2013.

1. agonizingnose

I was playing through TWD season 1 for the 50th time and I realised something. It's not to important, but I could not identify a single openly LGBTQ character in the series. Does anyone know of any queer characters, even if they only appear for 2 seconds before Telltales lead writer murders them like everyone else? Or if not, would it be nice if the game implemented a bit of sexual diversity?

2. My Two Wings

As far as I know, the Telltale game doesn't have any queer characters (not confirmed, anyways). Maybe there will be in season two? It would be nice since both the comic and TV show have some.

3. Richie.

It would be nice.

4. Tracks

I haven't played the telltale games but isn't it a game that makes the comic feel like my little pony by comparison? I dunno if sexuality comes organically into play in a world where you meet a character, they say their name, and boom! bam dead from a zombie. The tv show hasn't added any lbgt characters yet... But if you're not Caucasian, you're going to die pretty fast. The only reference on the show I can remember at all is when the hillbilly asked the woman who looks like Jamie lee Curtis if she was a lesbian because of her haircut...

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I don't think it would make any difference at all.

I mean there are 2 ways you can handle something like that, either make it really obvious right from the start, or let it come out during character development.

Character development is great, but in a game where everyone dies it's just less likely to come up. Maybe if someone shows a picture of their family and it's two dudes, but other than that...

If they make it obvious...I mean really I just don't want to play a game where I'm introduced to say, a trans person, but due to timing constraints they had to dress them up like a drag queen, or a gay character who looks like he fell off a pride float and into a vat of liquid gay!

Probably most importantly, that game does SO many things to me, that spend little to no time giving a shit about their sexuality, all I cared about is making sure Clem was safe...

6. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually there was a lesbian couple in some of the last few episodes but I think one or both died in the most recent episode

7. Gallatin

^One got shot and killed, and the other ran away (fate undetermined).

8. Kreiger

It'd be nice if they focus on romance sometimes in the games to have a gay couple, but seeing as how its zombie apocalypse, sexual preferences don't tend to play a huge factor in those.

9. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think it would be that unlikely to have love in the zombie the apocalypse. The walking dead has a few pregnant women, so some people are clearly getting it on.

Also the last of us had a gay character and was able to work that in in between lots of zombie killing.

10. My Two Wings

As far as I can recall, TWD has only had two pregnant women (one in the show so far).

But yeah, there are a lot of romantic relationships in the show and comic. Every character pretty much ends up with somebody. There's also been a few same-sex relationships (two in the comic, one in the show): Dexter/Andrew (comic only, as Dexter was replaced by Tomas in the show), Aaron/Eric (comic only, as they haven't reached that in the show yet), and Tara/Alisha (show only, as characters are not in comic).

And they handle each reveal quite well I think, since they're not treated as these big shocking discoveries. Dexter/Andrew is revealed because Axel tells Andrew that Dexter won't be faithful to him now that there are women around; Aaron/Eric is because they kiss at one point; and Tara because of a conversation she has with her sister about her last girlfriend. No big, over-the-top, obvious "OMG I'M SOOOO GAY" thing, just a simple "Ohey, these are regular people who have regular attractions for the same-sex".

If the comic and TV show can do it, the game surely can too.

I'm a bit iffy on Alisha though. She has one flirty conversation with Tara that pretty much was only to tell the viewer, "Psst, she likes women too." And this is pretty much the only interaction between the two characters before they go out. And their relationship consisted of them standing next to each other in a few scenes. I mean, I know relationships happen quickly in TWD, but this was too rushed.

11. CrimsonThunder

Certainly not necessary. They'd just die anyway lol

My favorite type of sexuality in games is the ones where you can choose your own sexuality, like in Mass Effect 3.

12. photoguy93

Hey.... Maybe the gays are all on a remote island, because they outsmarted the zombies! :slight_smile:

13. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Two pregnant women show up in season 2 of the game. It would be spoilers tell who or what happens though. I think the people at telltail could easily handle a gay character or two. I think they might do it too.

(I don't watch the show. I have tried, but I always forget to watch it.)

14. My Two Wings

Ah, okay. I need to play season two. Hell, I still need to beat season one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes yes you do. It's so good and you should finish fast. I think I'm illegally allowed to spoil the ending to season 1 by now. Heck you can't say much of anything with out spoiling the end to season 1.

16. My Two Wings

I'm pretty sure I already know at least some of what happens at the end of season 1, so whatever.

17. MisterLW

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can't see that. I wouldn't think it would be too important in a zombie apocalypse. It's not like you're gonna start relationships or whatever... Unless someone has a really weird zombie fetish... That would be a great idea!

I think in a survival scenario, it wouldn't really matter at all.

"You gotta consider her a living person; that's it. You're either livin' or you're not. You ain't little, you ain't a girl, you ain't a boy, you ain't strong or smart; you're alive." - Chuck

I think adding a "coming out" scene would be pointless...

18. MisterLW

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Come to think of it, Lee had to tell the group he was a convicted murderer, right? Isn't that kinda enough? I mean, it's kinda like coming out.

19. LadyApp

they pretty much killed them right away isn't it?
    :eusa_doh:

20. HavocKat

HavocKat Guest

It would be nice to see diversity in all shows without falling back on stereotypes or tossing a couple in there just for them to be killed or written off a few episodes later to say "hey look we did it that one time so we're awesome".