1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Duck Dynasty star goes on homophobic rant

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Dec 18, 2013.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Freedom of speech means that the government does not have a right to go after him for what he said . But the company A&E has a right to get rid of his butt and he's a fool to go say those things in a magazine it's one thing if he was saying that crap in his church or at home or just with his buddies off the show . And just like the rest of us learn in life if you do stupid stuff at your job or say stupid things that could land you in trouble they have a right to firer you so he should blame himself for being a fool and saying these things in that magazine and he didn't only say things about gay people he also said things about African Americans as well . Just because he's famous doesn't give him special treatment and these bigots need to be nipped in the but because lately their starting to think they can get away with saying any bigot crap and know this is not ok . Because it's worst to sit back and just let these people get away with being bigots with no consequences for their actions .

2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not suggesting A&E were wrong to distance themselves from him. What I am suggesting is that there's a distinct line of hypocrisy coming from his defenders ie them defending Robertson for saying what he said using the 1st amendment and then decrying others for using their 1st amendment rights to call him out on it. Works the other way around too and that's a trap I wonder if we're in danger of falling into.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh i'm sorry i missread :icon_redf

4. blueberrymuffin

They're free to "call out" anyone, but what's worse is many of those defenders want to bring back DADT and block ENDA, where 2 words of speech can get you fired. They also are fond of saying "employers' rights" but attack A&E for doing the right thing. Hypocrites to extreme.

Also, if anyone went off on christians and bestiality, or christians are evil, murderers, heartless etc like that sermon, they would be calling for his head.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate it when some of my religious friends post things supporting this guy as some sort of champion. Some of them are so nice, and yet on this point they are revealing the ugly truth of their beliefs. I sometimes want to just come out and pour out my heart in denouncing this casual homophobia. But, I'm a calm person that wouldn't want so much excitement.

6. starfish

tempest in a teapot.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, one of my friends posted this link about a gay guy who has no problem with Phil Robertson's comments.
    A gay man’s take on Phil Robertson and the A&E controversy | Solus Christus

However, that post smells fake to me. First off, very few gay people address other gays as "homosexuals." Also, the person acted like homosexuality is a mysterious force that has no explanation, equivalent to religious faith. Instead, most gay people are very adamant that they were "born that way."

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    He or she writes like they're one of those ex-gay sorts. The references to homosexuality as being sinful really stand out for me on that front.

9. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally agree. The hypocracy makes me sick. I and my partner lived with DADT for 7 years. She risked her life just the same as the straight soldiers, yet we couldn't officially acknowledge that we were a couple, or get the same support help that the spouses or girlfriends of the straight soldiers got. And ENDA hasn't passed yet. As my boyfriend said the other day, the same right wingers that are complaining about Robertson getting fired wouldn't say a thing or would probably cite religious and employer rights if I publically came out and my employer fired me.

10. OuterSpaceACE

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree this seems totally bogus. I'm asexual so I can't really say, but I've never heard a gay person refer to other gay people as "fellow homosexuals". Homosexual is kind of a scientific term. I also find it really hard to believe anyone who was gay would say "we still don't know the 'cause' (of homosexuality), despite many theories." Speaking from my experience as an asexual person, I do not think of my identity as needing an explanation or as the result of some cause any more than we think heterosexuality needs to be explained like that. It's just part of who I am. It's the outsider that demands the explanation. That's why I think the author wasn't gay. Some straight people look for a reason or 'cause' of being gay. Gay people just ARE gay, I don't think they'd think of it the way this author does.

If it is fake, how pathetic. It's just a way to try to lend credibility to that view-point which is quite idiotic. How dumb to try to paint this as a left vs. right issue. The last time I checked, treating people with dignity and not calling them animal-fucking terrorists wasn't a left or right issue.

11. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just because something doesn't have a totally scientifically proven cause (yet) doesn't mean there isn't a cause. If you took that guys opinion further, you could say that technically because we haven't found the missing link yet, evolution has no more scientific weight than the Holy Bible.

When I was in high school, I tried to choose to be straight, it didn't work then. Later on in my life when I became attracted to a guy for the first time, I didn't choose that either. And my attraction is limited to one guy, while my desire for women in general remains, so whatever is causing my desire isn't just some choice. There might not be just one cause for sexual desire. Perhaps my desire for women is hard wired, but my desire for my boyfriend is chemical. I may not know the exact cause, but I know it has to be biological in some form, and isn't just some "choice", any more than the rest of my family "chooses" to be straight.

12. Foxface

I hate to say it but this comes back to freedom of speech once again

I'll start with the proper response because I am sure someone has their reply cannon set to fire

I do not agree with what he said

However, he HAS the right to say it whether we like it or not

Now the beauty of this situation is, AE also has the right to not affiliate with him any further. People have got to understand that the first amendment doesn't just apply to fluffy talk about how gay is good (which it totally is!) It DOES apply to ugly speech just as much. You can fight and kick and scream all you want but this douche has the right to say what he said

And just like AE, you have every right to plug your ears, or not watch his show or buy his products. Though let me tell you, there are reasons other than this to not watch, starting with the fact that the show is pathetic...

but I digress

I'm sorry, but we can hate it all we want but I stand by his right to be a moron in public just as I stand by all of your rights to say "this guy is a tool and I hope his show fails"

boycott the show folks...for many reasons but especially this. He won't learn but he'll get his in the end when the power of non association takes over

Foxface

13. Just Jess

I can't watch a reality T.V. show about a family of people that sells duck calls? :cry:

Please fill the void, T.V.! How about this: ice fishing AND paint drying! You can have that idea for free.

14. Gallatin

:roflmao:

Honestly, if that was a show, it would not shock me at all, given the other crap they make series about.

15. starfish

I've seen a few episodes of this show when I was visiting family before. I thought it was a good rainy day show or show to have on the background while you do house work. It was like a redneck reality TV version of the Three Stooges.

That said this hole debacle is much more entertaining that the show. They should make a show about that.

Oh there is an idea for a reality TV show. The outrage of the week.

16. OuterSpaceACE

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is anyone else old enough to remember when A&E used to be a channel that showed biographies, documentaries, and crime dramas? It reminds me of the movie Idiocracy. Everyone should boycott it for the fact that it is so dumbed down. Just like MTV. Remember Matt Pinfield and Kurt Loader? :tears: Nostalgiafail. No hope for humanity. I'll miss you, Bate's Motel.

17. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Every time he said "Yuppies" you had to know what he was thinking "commie, pinko, lefty, faggots". Its probably what they told him to say. It did make me uneasy every time he said "yuppies" on the show as I knew what he was thinking. Too bad to, the guys are intelligent, charismatic, and entertaining and now I will have to stop watching. I really feel for Sy tho. It must be hard, all those years in the closet with such a homophobic brother. It was interesting listening to Terry Bradshaw talk about there competition for a spot in the NFL I think. Apparently he quit to go duck hunting, which was probably really that he left to go get drunk and high.

I just hope it doesn't become some big religious right thing to grow a fat beard. I would hate to shave mine. Fuck that I'll dye it rainbow before I shave it.

18. justjade

While it's America, and he is entitled to his opinion (even though it's wrong), when you're in the public eye, you can't say things like that without getting dropped hard. I don't appreciate the things he said because, to me, they just sound like ignorant horse shit, but really, he can think whatever he wants. Reminds me of how people in church used to tell me that science was based on fake evidence placed on earth by the devil to make people doubt their god's existence. I just with all these people elsewhere on the internet would stop hailing him like some kind of martyr or something. There's nothing heroic about making an ass of yourself.

19. AlamoCity

And I thought I was the only one who had that experience haha.

20. Gerit

Although I don't support this guy's opinion, WHAT DID A&E THINK WOULD HAPPEN. You have a show full of backwoodsy rednecks and we're supposed to act shocked when they spout homophobic stuff?

I do support his right to say it however. The first amendment grants people to say their opinions, no matter how stupid they may be.