1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Duck Dynasty star goes on homophobic rant

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Richie.

Don't worry about others, they will pay eventually

2. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Um, what does this have to do with political correctness? You insult a group of people and said group will not want to have anything to do with you. I'm pretty sure things have been this way since the dawn of mankind. It has nothing to do with people not wanting to hear an opinion they "don't agree with" (though I know a certain group who likes to claim it's that, due to the cowardice of its members regarding standing by their views). It's simply a reaction to being directly attacked.

"Again, what he said was just stupid, but he had a right to say it." - Of course he does. Who ever said he didn't? However, people (as well as his employer) have a right to react as they see fit to the views he decides to express. Do YOU have a problem with that?

#82 Adi, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  3. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Awesome to see you read every post before commenting. :rolle:

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know what? Freedom of speech.

You know what? He's an insensitive backwards thinking bigot.

Freedom of speech.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like somebody else said, if this Duck-dude doesn't like it, he can always move to Russia, and talk about 'family values' there. He's free to leave anytime!

6. Simple Thoughts

I honestly don't care about the Duck Dynasty guy at all.

I'm not shocked A&E kicked his butt to the curb. He didn't represent want the company wanted to be known as standing for so they ditched his butt.

Personally, it sounded like a good healthy dose of Karma to me.

P.S: Person who's comment is above me, I love beast boy! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My brother is obsessed with that show.

I find most "reality" TV outside of pawn stars to be incredibly stupid.

8. Simple Thoughts

I don't like "reality" television. It's just senseless mind rot. I get mad watching Pawn Stars because they clearly rip people off. I'm pretty sure things that belonged to historically significant presidents are worth more than a thousand bucks.

9. Lipstick Leuger

Everyone is so using the 'freedom of speech' thing. I wonder how many of them would be willing to follow up with this 'feedom of speech' if an American born Muslim said they wanted to burn the American flag and that they felt a Jihad was needed? Would they be willing to support this person? What if they stated that they follow the Koran because it's the word of Allah? How about if they also said "But I respect people and don't judge them and would not do a Jihad." would they then? No, they would not . It's not a case of free speech, but a case of bigotry and support for it still in America.

10. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Um... I think Americans should read their first amendment.The freedom of speech only protects you from the Government and physical repressions against your speech... and there are limitations.

I think Americans in general need to read their constitution and their bible before making comments...
    Also... United States free speech exceptions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. oneday004

I really don't care if Robertson don't like gays he is entitled to his opinion..... just like I'm entitled to dislike redneck hillbilly swamp people that kill defenseless animals. What really gets me is he is revered as some kinda hero , he is just an uneducated idiot savant who luckily cashed in on some duck call. In my opinion the gay community should grow a lil tougher skin and ignore the son of a bitch.

I also believe that he was set up in the interview, ask a homophobic redneck hillbilly fundamentalist idiot what he thinks of gays , how do you think he is gunna answer? Not alot of thought there.

As part of the gay community I believe we have bigger battles to fight, win the love and respect of our friends and families first, the rest will come and we wont have to worry about these bigoted narrow minded A holes

12. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You know the show is fake?
    This is how they looked before the show was made

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They transformed into rednecks all the sudden...

13. Simple Thoughts

America read? Clearly you don't know Americans lol

14. OuterSpaceACE

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are misrepresenting the first amendment. The right extends to speech protected against action BY THE GOVERNMENT. Phil Robertson was not acted against by the government. He was not arrested, audited, or anything. The government is not involved at all. That is what the first amendment protects. It's pretty irritating, this whole first amendment business. Don't cite it if you don't understand it's meaning.

Now let's say I'm racist (I'm not at all, but let's say I am). Once I worked at a restaurant as a host. A couple came in. I took them to their table which happened to be in the back near the restroom because that was the next table in rotation. Customers seldom have an understanding of why you are taking them to a particular table. The woman looked at me and said "oh hell no, why are you putting us at this table?" I told her it was next in rotation, but I could find another one if she didn't like it. She said "honey don't ever sit black people in the back like that." I looked at her puzzled. She explained that they had to sit at the back of the bus and they will assume you are being racist. I apologized and admitted I hadn't thought of that at all. Of course I genuinely felt bad that I inadvertently brought up those feelings for her, but I was also trying to represent my company well.

What if I didn't agree with her? What if I thought she was being too sensitive? What if I was actually racist? Would it have been ok to share with her my beliefs about how white people deserve the best tables? No. Obviously not. I'd obviously get fired for that. Why is this so hard for people to see? A&E is WELL within their rights as Phil's employer to let him go for what he said.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with being PC. And let's not downplay his idiotic opinion. That line of thinking quickly leads to oppressive legislation. This is a millionaire family and I am sure they spend their money supporting anti-gay politicians. These aren't the incoherent ramblings of my racist grandpa from smalltown USA, this is a guy with a huge audience and lots of money and some influence.

Let's not forget that in 1998 Matthew Shepherd was beaten to death, drug behind a truck, and tied to a fence for being gay. In 2000 Arthur Warren was murdered, beaten and run over four times. This happened near my home town. He went to my college. This kind of speech isn't the innocuous opinion some would have you believe. This has to be stamped out where it is found.

15. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This has already been discussed, and I clarified my point.

Once again, I was stating that the Constitution protects an individual's freedom of speech whether people like it or not, and people have the right to criticize what someone says. Never once said the government was involved at all, and I am well aware it is protection from action from the government.

But thank you.

#95 Mike92, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see this as some kind of example of over-reaching political correctness, as much as the right likes to trot out the phrase.

Mr. Duck is free to find other media platforms to espouse his views; from Fox News to sites like Redstate, he has many options aside from A&E that would be welcoming platforms for his antics.

To quote Bruce Springsteen from his first album,
    "You can do what you like, but just don't do it here."

17. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Awesome to see you read MY post before commenting. :rolle:

18. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, I read every word.

But the things is, I'm not going to repeat myself for the 7th time.

I've stated my opinion quite clearly in this thread. More than once.

19. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you had read every word, you wouldn't have felt the need to post irrelevancies. Then again, judging by the opinion you've "quite clearly" stated in this thread, you do seem to have a deep attraction to straw men.

---------- Post added 22nd Dec 2013 at 01:46 PM ----------

This went from bad to worse.

‘Duck Dynasty’ star Phil Robertson anti-gay video emerges as A&E beefs up security amid threats
    The 67-year-old reality celebrity denounces gay people as ‘insolent, arrogant, God-haters,’ punctuating his rant by blowing on the duck whistle that made him famous. While Robertson has some prominent right-wing supporters, A&E was forced to beef up security at its Manhattan offices after violent threats against the patriarch from others.

Source: ‘Duck Dynasty’ star Phil Robertson anti-gay video emerges as A&E beefs up security amid threats - NY Daily News

20. OuterSpaceACE

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know buddy, didn't much look like you clarified your point to me. You keep talking about "equal protection under the law" and freedom of speech. You even previously mentioned the 1st amendment and the constitution. Now the fact that he wasn't arrested means that we need to get the words "first amendment" and "law" out of our mouths while having this discussion. You understand what I'm sayin'? It's got literally nothing to to with the matter at hand. You think America has become too sensitive. Well what the fuck is wrong with living in a society that is sensitive to the feelings of others? People CAN say what they want, but they CAN and WILL be held accountable for it. You are young. Maybe you'll grasp this all later on.