1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yoga stuff

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by dapulu, Dec 15, 2013.

1. dapulu

So I went to my first 4 classes of Yoga this week. It was HARD as hell. And I want to at least be able to do some postures. I know I will get better with time, it's just I feel like I can do more.

I've never been flexible, and have never ever been able to touch my toes with my hands with legs stretched out, I also didn't do much exercise the last 3-4 months...so I don't really have biceps anymore and I'm very feeble in that area.

So my question is what kind of exercises can I do to help me get in shape outside for yoga??

I was thinking about going to the gym for a bit to get back my arm strength, but on the hips area I have no idea what could help me...jumping? cardio?

Thanks for the help :grin:

2. Linguistic_Geek

You went to 4 yoga classes in one week?! Wow! 1 is usually enough for me. Maybe 2.

It will get better with time. Your strength will come and so will your flexibility. But it's not going to happen in a week--no matter how many classes you go to.

Is it possible to do some stretches/postures a little bit everyday (outside of class)? Even 10 mins a day....? Just a thought.....

3. Silver Sparrow

Running always feels really good for me after yoga. Also, make sure to stretch out your leg muscles. Squats are good too. But I'm not a professional, so be careful.

4. Myhipsdolie

Running and swimming are great. They burn off fat and get your heart pumping (cardio)
    Resistance training (weights etc) is also good
    this includes things like bicept curls with weights (or water bottles!) butterfly lifts, push ups
    etc
    Just take it easy
    Enjoy yoga
    It's a great tool that helps your mind and body become one. <3

5. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Depends on what you are doing, I think if you are working on flexibility and strength, its going to be likely you are going to work on strong slender muscles. I would recommend Pilates. And dont worry about the flexibility, it comes really quick. Yoga is about lining up the postures, and its about your own practice, if you do the breaths right you are doing yoga. When you line the postures up, even if it doesnt feel like that much of a stretch, it will really do a lot for getting you into advanced poses.