1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does your doctor ask you about your orientation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Dec 14, 2013.

1. prism

When I was 20 I needed to get updated health records for my university, but I didn't have a physician, so I visited my old pediatrician. He is a very blunt native from Brooklyn. When he asked me if I was sexually active and if I had a boyfriend, to which I replied "no" to both.

"Are you a homosexual?"
    My heart STOPPED. I wasn't out at all, and I was definitely not about to come out to the man that delivered me. All I could do was heave out a startled "no!" @__@

2. the fact that this statement can be made in the richest nation in the world is pathetic, trillions of dollars killing people all over the world and we don't take care of our own

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hadn't been to the doctor in years I'm signing up for obamacare today so i wouldn't get til 2014 :tears:

4. my doctor asked me once. i told him flat out then it started a convo of 'how old were you when you came out e.t.c' then he said well dont you think 12 is a bit young to come out, i laughed and said no haha. thankfully i wasnt offended.

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm out to my doctor (both as gay and trans*), and she never asked previously.

6. Beware Of You

I told my doctor because I went for depression and she said that its no problem and she supports LGBT, turns out she is awesome especially with a lot of the issues that involve LGBT people

7. girlonfire

I have an adolescence survey that I have to take every time I get a physical. One of the questions is "do you think you might be gay or lesbian."

I've been lying on it...

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, nothing concerning sex or sexuality has ever come up when I was at the doctor's. Since I'm 30 and get checked every year I'm kind of assuming that if it was a common thing to ask around here, I'd have been asked by now.

I'm assuming she assumes I'll be the one to bring it up if I have any health concerns or issues relating to that.

9. sparkly glasses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Always get asked if I'm sexually active then "men, women or both". Felt good to finally be honest this time.

10. blueberrymuffin

I see some got asked cause they went in for depression or it's at least related to sexual health. That seems defensible, but an ear infection? This still blows my mind. I should've said "none of your business."

11. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    On the thing they make you fill out in the waiting room, on of the questions is "are you confortable with your sexuality" and then just yes or no, my doctor has never said anything to me but if I ever checked off no, I assume he would

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only been asked once if I was sexually active at the doctor's office, they didn't ask about my sexuality. I'm sure that'll change when I go to a university health center, though.

13. yidnah87

I've never been asked by my doctor, but if I were asked, I would be honest.

14. DrkRayne

My gynocologist knows, for obvious reasons, but my primary doctor, no. My partner has came to visits with my before, he refers to her as my good friend and when I say my fiancee, he says "oh yes him."
    I dont think he knows and as of right now, there is no reason to tell him.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How did you handle it?

When I did the intake forms for this physician, it had that question, listed along many others, for general health conditions. Since most stuff doesn't apply, I just put a bunch of dashes in the blanks.

My current doctor of three and a half years asked me in a surprised tone "You've never been married?" at each of the first two visits, some 4 months apart. There is a single option and there's a divorced option. I checked the single one on the intake data.

The most obnoxious, and I will never forget it, was the first visit to a new doctor in about my mid-30s, and probably prompted by my marital status. Other than depression related stuff and one medication for that, his first question was "Have you had any homosexual experiences?" It had a nosy tone more than a concerned one. I told him no. Screw you, a-hole. I didn't see keeping him, anyway. There's other ways to handle that - ask about unexpected weight loss, night sweats, fevers, diarrhea, swollen lymph nodes, and an exam of lymph nodes and the genitals to look for anything that is askew. I wish I would have come back with something snide, since he was truly a jerk ... and with a new patient. I tell my current doctor when I think he's not getting it (and not because he leads a nice life and belongs to a country club - has that paraphernalia in the exam room). He still keeps me as a patient, though, but only contends with me 3 times a year for 20 minutes at a time.

If I needed to go in for something that revolved around organic issues linked to sexual behavior, then I would.