Who hates gay stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Andstillimhere7, Dec 12, 2013.

1. EscapeArtist

Or the masculine female stereotype. Though in my experiences I find women more eager to adopt relationship roles--which I don't necessarily enjoy either. Primarily because I'm attracted to women. Beautiful, complex, dynamic women. As opposed to women who look or act like men.

2. Harve

Hmm yes, I guess I've been lucky enough to've not come across people who have a fixed idea of what being gay is, but not everyone's so lucky.

(I suppose I, even as a gay guy, tend to make assumptions: if a guy is flamboyant then I'll be 90% sure that he's gay and if he, say, plays rugby then I'd be 99% sure he isn't. In all honesty that normally proves to be right but if someone's an exception then it's not exactly mindblowing or anything)

3. LiquidSwords

Well I'm that 1% I guess :icon_bigg Had our club christmas party yesterday and when he was wasted the captain came over and talked to me said he knew I was gay because this other kid, the only other person at the club who knows, had told him. Told me it wasn't a problem at all and if anyone gives me a hard time for it he'll "fucking kill them" his words :lol:

This is a good development for sure.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hate gay stereotypes with a passion I remember this straight guy and I got in a fight online because he told me that all lesbians are fat and ugly . and that most bisexual chicks only date men .
    Can't stand Charlie's daughter on two and a half men

#24 stocking, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  5. photoguy93

Okay, not to be rude, but that's actually kind of offensive to those of us who aren't "normal" and who are femme.

See, I know that everyone is busy trying to squash stereotypes, but is it worth offending we femmes?

I am also surprised that our first thought isn't about, say, the whole HIV thing or the whole "we sleep with anything that has a penis" stereotype. Those are issues that we all face; not just one area.

#25 photoguy93, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  6. EscapeArtist

I'm not surprised to see this. In fact, I think even my post was a bit out of place as men have beautiful femme qualities. Sexuality is fluid and deserves less of analysis. End of story.

7. NebulousAgency

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for adding this. When the discussion about stereotypes comes up I'm always fearful that some of the 'normal' gays will take the chance to start attacking effeminate and gender-nonconforming queer males and men. Considering how those who break gender norms are often subject to additional discrimination, it's arguably a really sick example of victim-blaming to imply that they are, in any sense, responsible for homophobic attitudes. Beyond that, I'm not too keen on fellow queers telling me my existence is in any way undesirable.

Thankfully, the people on this forum seem to be more level-headed.

#27 NebulousAgency, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  8. thisisawug

The thing with stereotypes in the media is that it plants in everybody's minds the idea that all queer people look/behave in a certain way. It gives ignorant people the wrong idea about the LGBT community, but it also makes it harder for people to accept their sexuality.

I don't fit into the stereotype of a gay woman, and that's one of the main things that keeps making me doubt myself about my sexuality because I often find myself thinking that I can't be a proper lesbian because I don't fit any of the stereotypes.

We're all constantly bombarded by these stereotypes in the media and it makes it incredibly difficult to remember the true diversity of the queer community, which does of course include those who have some stereotypical qualities, and others who don't. Luckily we have places like EC to remind us :slight_smile:

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For the people who fit a lot of them, they can either embrace them and laugh at themselves or are offended by them. Sometimes, they schizophrenically do both.

For the people who do not fit a lot of them, they either find them funny, in a ridiculous sort of way, or are offended that they might be included in the fold. Sometimes, they schizophrenically do both.

10. chivalrous

People seem to think I act very sterotypically so in one sense this forum makes my stomach churn a little and I don't even do it on purpose, it's just passive! Bah!
    But in one sense I do not like the very very flameboyant ones. I atleast i know I don't act like them

#30 chivalrous, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  11. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    My sisters think my friend is gay because he's nice and has good personal hygiene.