1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Death of Nelson Mandela

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by gayphdstudent, Dec 7, 2013.

1. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ I thought you were mourning. It is not that I don't like it. It is just I find it strange and silly.

2. Mzansi

If Nelson had EVER approached the situation like you have,
    This country would've been DESTROYED,
    Take your unfounded opinions of him away,
    And don't make this racial as you're making it here,
    It goes against his principles
    He used selective and minimal violence,
    As evidenced by mass uprisings that were meant to bring economic productivity to halt,
    Rather than harm the population of the country,
    Him and the countries leaders at the time SAT DOWN(Check the CODESA talks)and discussed the terms to end the regime,
    Without the hallmark features of mass violence and murder.

I'd be VERY careful how you choose to word your opinions of someone so revered,
    You're going to seriously offend the people for which he stood up for.

---------- Post added 8th Dec 2013 at 09:33 AM ----------

Just because he hasn't had an affect on your life all the way in England,
    Doesn't mean he hasn't had an impact.

To any South African,
    Or most,
    He represents the start of a new age,
    And was instrumental in the ending of Apartheid,
    I think I can speak for the majority of our 52 million strong population and say he meant something VERY dear to us,
    He is,
    After all,
    Tata Mandela(Madiba) to us.

---------- Post added 8th Dec 2013 at 09:36 AM ----------

He is well known,
    As far as I know,
    When I lived abroad,
    The first thing they asked was,
    "How is Nelson",
    It's quite awesome haha!

3. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    People really need to develop thick skin. I mean it is just words end of the day. They only hurt if you give meaning to them. Or it is a possibility they never really experienced being exposed to different views.

It is not about impact. It is about mourning for someone you never met or don't know very well. Though the other member (phdstudent) kindly explained it to me so I get it now.

Too chicken soup for the teenage soul to me. I understand he has done good. No doubts there.

Oh that is a beautiful avatar you have of Alek Wek. Alek Wek is so beautiful.

4. Harve

[​IMG]

Proud.

5. Mzansi

Alek Wek is quite stunning,
    And whats beautiful is she doesn't fit the usual "norm" of what the modelling industry would've previously though as "attractive" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. gayphdstudent

Harve, thanks for sharing that wonderful pic and info. Although a South African myself, there are so many things about him i am still learning. I heard the other day that after becoming president he paid for the school fees etc of some of the 'white' warders of the prison he was held in for decades. The big message was not that white people should not oppress non-white people, but that oppression in general is wrong and his kindness, generosity and forgiveness proved he was true to his words in his actions.

7. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't get it. It is getting way over the top now. The BBC went f*ckin crazy over the story. I bet most people that attended the memorial are not even sad. Just went there for the flippin sake of it. What a load of old **** hahahhahahhaa.

To make myself clear. I have nothing again mandela. Don't even know the guy personally.

9. gayphdstudent

I think alot of people who are aware of the atrocities that happened in South Africa over centuries, especially in more modern times, and of the role that humanitarians like Mandela played as well as his kind, gentle and compassionate heart, do actually get what a loss it is. It depends how aware each of us is of the big picture perhaps.

10. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ Naaah its not that. It is treating an ordinary human being like some sort of saint. I don't care whether you have saved the world from flying hippos, there is no need to treat a person like some sort of God. It is borderline embarrassing.

Sure I respect the guy and his achievements. I would do the same for any other human being.

11. GingerGuy

I don't think there's anything wrong with mourning the death of a celebrity like a family member. It's true that you never knew the person, but you can still admire them for their contributions to society, and recognize they generated many cultural and political achievements that affected your life. Let's imagine a black child who grew up in the apartheid, suffering and bing discriminated against everyday. Considering Mandela made their lives better by extinguishing that abnormality, it's their right to mourn and respect him, sometimes exaggeratedly so. Also, it's possible to separate someone's personal life from their achievements. Take Michael Jackson, he was a drug addict and maybe a pedophile, but he still got widely mourned for his immense talent and huge contribution to the music world. When people cry over a TALENTED star, they are not mourning the person itself, but all the movies that won't be made, songs that won't be sung, and charities that won't be founded because of the death. And I respect that.

It's true that most people at his memorial weren't weeping or saying that it was a disgrace that he has passed except for family members, but we got to remember he was 95, for gods sake. He had lived a long and fulfilling life, and his death was expected. It's different than a 20 year old talented musician or star who dies because of a road accident accident or a deadly disease.

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't mean to be rude, but MrAllMonday: are you an ethnic minority? I ask since your posts reflect a profound disconnect (or just unfamiliarity) from Mandela's accomplishments and symbolism as a figure for a specific cause. He was imprisoned for so long because the apartheid government recognized how powerful a leader he was. Because you think the attention he's gained is exaggerated, you act patronizingly to others as if they are fools.

Anyway, like another poster mentioned, I am glad to have lived in the post-apartheid era brought by Nelson Mandela. I think I gained most of my appreciation for him and the anti-apartheid struggle after watching the documentary film series "Have You Heard from Johannesburg?"

13. gayphdstudent

Perhaps there is a wide range in how well known his life story is...the movie 'Long Walk to Freedom' currently showing in South Africa might be useful to those who feel disconnected from Mandel as a person...and who are unsure of his qualities that are worthy of admiration.