1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buried or Cremated?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Data, Dec 6, 2013.

1. GingerGuy

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I'm not bothered. However for practical reasons my current request is cremation so I can be laid to rest with my dad (and mum who most likely will be there before me - it's double-depth).

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cremation. Real estate is expensive even for a grave plot. Besides, as much as I like the idea of having an elaborate mausoleum, why should I care? I'm dead! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I've decided I'd rather be remembered for my deeds than by a physical reminder that I was alive.

4. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really care. If my family wants to dispose of my body by feeding it to the dogs, so be it. I couldn't care less.

In fact, I would prefer to have my body thrown down a bridge and into a river, then have it show up in a random beach and creep the crap out of people.

5. purplekitty

Like Absol and Hexagon said, being shot into the Sun or into a Supermassive Black Hole would be cool.

But before being shot into anything, I'd like to donate whatever parts of my body can be used. I don't know if I want a viewing before I'm cremated, but if I did have one, I want one like my Great-Grandma's. She was propped up with her favorite book to make it look like she was reading.

If I can't be shot into the sun or a black hole, I'd like to be scattered in the ocean, a volcano, outer space, maybe an underground river or cave, I don't know just cool geographical places.

If no scattering can be done, I like that bio urn idea. Giving back to the Earth is very appealing. Or maybe being put in an hourglass. If the hourglass, it would be amusing because then people can turn it over to give me something to do.

6. Goodnyte

I want to be cremated. I don't need my family spending thousands of dollars on me for a casket, grave plot, head stone, etc etc. Just burn and dump me then have a party to celebrate my life.

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's because death is such an interesting topic. We have no idea where we're going to be. We don't know if Christians are right, if Hindus are right, if athiests are right, we simply don't know. And that's something I think is really nifty. We'll never know until it happens. We don't even know if anybody is right about all of this. So all we can really do is guess. And with this particular topic, it's interesting because it's respecting a person who *used* to be living, but is now deceased. So you have kind of a paradox, there. But you go on doing it, anyway.

There's part of me that thinks that, and there's another part of me that echo's The Who, going "I hope I die before I get old". Another interesting thing about death: When?

8. Salazar

I'm giving away my organs, including corneas, so open casket out of the question. I used to really want to be buried, but I've come to not care very much. I'd like to be remembered, and if there was one place that my family could go to do that, that'd be great. I would want everyone to feel shit when they were to visit, though, so it would have to be somewhere fun, like a ski resort or something haha

9. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to be cremated. I just like the idea of having your ashes spread around somewhere that's important to you.

10. Formality

There's part of me that thinks that, and there's another part of me that echo's The Who, going "I hope I die before I get old". Another interesting thing about death: When?[/QUOTE]

Let me qoute Tyrion Lannister:
    "Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities."

That being said, I'd rather die too old than too young.

11. Data

Data Guest

So, because I'm a dunce, I didn't make this with a poll. I should have, but I confess I don't know how to do it and I didn't want to make a thread that was all messed up for the mods to delete.

Here's the current tally that I have gone through and counted:

Cremated - 33
    Buried - 10 (including me)

Others:

Cryo-frozen - 3
    Buried at sea (as a whole body) - 1
    No preference - 6
    Wolves - 3
    Science (not organ donation) - 2
    Shot into the sun or black hole - 3

:slight_smile: Looks like cremation won by a LANDSLIDE.

Tons of people wanted to donate their organs. That's excellent.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The trend toward cremation and simpler funerals points toward yet a few other industries (making caskets, funeral planning, cemeteries with extensive land) that will become a little less relevant in the future. However, rest assured, they can't be outsourced.

13. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

[youtube]wkQJUQP-GjE[/youtube]

14. Data

Data Guest

Oh GOD I don't want to buried in a "Made in China" casket. That would haunt me forever. :eusa_naug

In that case, I'd opt for NO casket at all. Just wrap me in a shroud and bury me like that.

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can get caskets and headstones from Wal-Mart...

16. Data

Data Guest

WOW. I knew Costco sold caskets, and I always found that kinda funny. I didn't know wally world did it too. Amazing.

It's a good business to be in I guess. Everyone dies. Everyone.

17. Lewis

Cremated!

Hate the thought of slowly decomposing under 6 ft of mud...

18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

No preference, I just want my organs to be donated.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I applaud all of you who think this way. Being slightly neurotic about health matters, though I am in pretty good health, would make me feel guilty about donating "faulty" organs, so I pass on that check box.

20. BattyNora

Cremated, I think. I want to donate as much of my body as possible to help others.