What the **** is homosexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by enthalpy, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Techno Kid

Sure, but we are matter that can understand the universe and create or destroy cities/natural systems.

2. Foxface

The problem I have with this whole conversation is that OP constantly refers to us as nothing but chemicals. That is a good theory and opinion but not fact. It's just yours and some others' opinions and theory on it.

We all have our own beliefs on what the world is and who we are. I choose not to work in the reductionist realm. When I say from a Zen stance that "I am me" I mean that I am the collection of who I am not just this mix of biochemicals.

What of our experiences? What about the other 'bags of chemicals' we meet? Are you telling me the interactions we have are not to be considered?

Again, I appreciate that this is your opinion but I will respectfully disagree

I don't think we need to take reductionist views but I'll defend your right to do so

Foxface

3. enthalpy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How is it not fact? What else could be there besides chemicals? Our memories and experiences arise directly from our brains and the stimuli they perceive. There's nothing more in our brains than matter nor is there anything more around us than matter and energy. You are you, you are your consciousness, you are the thing you call you and the thing you call you only exists because substances arranged themselves into the cells in your body.

#43 enthalpy, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  4. Foxface

and that is once again an unproven theory. We disagree on this matter and that too is fine. You see us as base chemicals, I see us more as a soul, mind apart from just chemical processes and emotions.

Foxface

5. Nyarlathotep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i can't really contribute to the exact nature of what homosexuality is, that seems like a rather philosophical question that can get pretty esoteric rather fast. As to the alien thing, homosexuality is witnessed in well over 500 species of all genera and most likely occurs in pretty much all life, so aliens would be pretty understanding, as to the direct cause i have no idea i like to think it has more to due with environment than epigenetics with things like population density being brought to account but the most likely reason it exists in the first place is just a natural way to prevent overpopulation. All species can reproduce fast enough to the point where their habitat can no longer sustain them, resulting in mass starvation and just a lot of stress factors being put on that species so preventing overpopulation would reduce the potential stresses a species can have and therefore lead to an increased likelihood of long-term survival, or else it would only occur in a select few species throughout history or would have died out completely as a trait

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I majored in biochemistry and am working toward a medicinal chemistry PhD., so I think I have a good grasp of those terms... Yet, thermodynamics is still mysterious. For example, why was entropy low at the beginning of the universe?

7. enthalpy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's a good question... I don't know to be honest, I'd guess because of the massive amount of energy released b the big bang? I'm just a freshman right now, and I'm majoring in biochemistry as well.

8. Doorway

Coming from a family of semi-famous scientists/neurologists, having an interest in stuff like quantum physics, and being in high school, I can say that it seems like every branch of science presents itself as being the be-all-end-all for explanations. Biology largely ignores chemistry (outside of biochemistry, of course), chemistry ignores physics, etc. In practice, they all mesh together into one whole field, but since I'm taking classes I get that general impression. Of course, astronomy is far better than biology for explaining and figuring out the secrets of the universe, but that's just common sense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You seem so obsessed with quantifying and reducing something as major as human sexuality into simply just biochemical terms. Numbers and multisyllabic words and formatted essays are all well and good, but even though homosexuality is indeed something in our brains wiring, it is more than that. Why be so black and white? Being homosexual means you enjoy being withe those of the same sex instead if with the opposite (*hug*) You cannot put a formula on the joy all over your body when you're with the one you love :kiss:. To quantify that and refuse to see it as what it is doesn't make you a scientist, it makes you a human calculator. And nobody really likes calculators.:eusa_naug

Broaden your horizons, kiddo.

#48 Doorway, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013