1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are all gays shallow?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Darkrai, Dec 4, 2013.

1. robclem21

I think a lot of people mistake not being attracted to someone physically for shallowness. I think it is a big mistake to say "all gays guys are shallow", yet it is probably fair to say gay guys are no less shallow than straight guys.

Just think how much effort straight girls put into the way they look (makeup, clothes, dieting), yet it all seems so much more natural for girls than for guys because that is how straight guys "expect" to see girls in every day life. It has become a much more matter-of-fact deal with straight people than gay guys, which may make it seem like it that perfect body culture is pushed much more on gay guys. Obviously straight guys don't feel that same need because their target is women (who may be just as bad but thats another debate entirely).

I can't deny that some people are shallow, but I think comparing gay guy pressure to look perfect can't be compared to straight guy pressure to look perfect. However, straight guys are just as shallow when you compare who they are attracted to.

2. AmityRanch

Generalizations are shit.

3. lukeluvznicki13

a large percentage i found can be extremely x.x. It is unfortunate but you get shallow people everywhere these days...

4. kem

kem

What is 'shallow'? I consider appearance important, and if a stranger were to asks me out, I'd base the decision on his appearance (since I don't know his personality). If it were someone who I thought had a wonderful personality, it wouldn't matter what he looked like (within reason)

Some consider even this to be shallow, but I think being shallow is only having interest in the outer shell of a person, instead of what's inside. Hence, shallow = not deep

5. jargon

Are all gays shallow? Probably a little bit.

Are all straight/bi people shallow? Probably a little bit.

Are all gays exceptionally shallow? Nope. :slight_smile:

6. Hit the nail right on the head here

even when I am making sweeping statements about what I want in my life I am not about to state what is right for anyone else

7. C P

C P

There is some shallowness there imo, depending on what we are talking about. There are a lot of people who won't even consider you worth their time if you aren't what they'd consider 'physically attractive', as if that is the only aspect worth noticing.

I can assure you that sometimes if you give said person a chance, things can change. The more you get to know someone and like them, your perspective on their physical appearance can change as well.

8. KazTastic

I don't think it's a gay thing. It's more of a malehuman thing. I've met plenty of shallow people who are not gay men. Granted, it seems to have become a stereotype of gay men though.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is true. But, when a person drives or walks through the Castro, WeHo, or Hillcrest and sees legions of guys who live at the gym, pour themselves into tight jeans, wear t-shirts that might cut off their circulation because their biceps are about the explode, and parade around in search of the next trick (and all their pumping and preening is to allow them to be more selective in picking those one night stands), then there is some validity to the observation of some shallowness.

Granted, not everyone, and actually only a small segment of the gay male population falls into that group, but that group does exist. And there are other identifiable clusters. So, they then become poster children of sorts to people who don't like GLBTs. And all the while, there are GLBT folks who do not fit these stereotypes. And that's a good thing, imo.

10. KazTastic

@Tightrope
    In my opinion, it's the hookup culture that's shallow, and not the LGBT+ community at large. Those "gay villages" tend to cater to those who are into the hookup scene.

#30 KazTastic, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    True. However, there are those who don't fit the stereotypes who descend on those villages, or find hookups outside of village-type venues, for whom the process is also shallow.

And then, there are visible and invisible types who are not shallow. But, darn, they can get horny, too.

12. no.
    some are, some arent.

13. Beware Of You

Again like anyone

You have shallow prats like my ex who wanted me as something to sleep with.

14. CupcakeKisses

Agreed...Some people are shallow and that depends on individual personality

15. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe that it's a person thing, not a sexuality thing.

16. Oxelotl

No! Not all gay's are shallow. I know gay people who aren't shallow, but I've also seen people who are. Just like I've seen straight people who are shallow and I've seen straight people who aren't shallow. Hell if we want to go further I've seen men and women who are and aren't shallow and I've seen people from different continents be shallow and not shallow. It's all down to the person. Sexual orientation is only an indication of what gender someone is/isn't shallow to. It doesn't indicate they are shallow.

17. Minamimoto_Fan

I'm as shallow as the next guy. I have my moments, but it's nothing to do with my sexuality

18. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aussie pretty much covered all bases. I've never been a part of that scene, so conventional attraction is just icing on the cake, if even, compared to what type of person I'm going to possibly be spending years of my life with.

Most people are shallow in one way or another, but at least when it comes to hook up culture, it's honest and upfront; you know exactly what to expect before going in. I can "get" why straight men would value physical appearances, and why straight women would value resources and stability, but not quite why gay male culture would put certain traits on a pedestal. I'd love to research the history of how certain types became so prominent, sometime, though I've got the feeling that a lot of it is related to privilege.

19. C P

C P

Depending on what all we are talking about here, the media hasn't exactly helped either...

20. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly. Often when I see threads that have the format "all X are Y," I feel irritated knowing that they're likely to spark inflammatory debates.