1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pride parades should continue even after LBGT becomes a "normal" thing.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by livi, Dec 1, 2013.

1. DesertTortoise

Why showing solidarity matters. For queers everywhere on the planet. A good parade can be both celebration, education and a show of solidarity.

2. Mzansi

Personally I think pride works against LGBT people many times,
    As a lot of what is being displayed,
    Plays RIGHT into the stereotypes others have of LGBT people.

I feel that if pride should continue,
    It should celebrate the right and pride of EVERYONES sexuality,
    Maybe more centered on the theme of sexual liberation of all sexualities and so forth.

Currently I feel LGBT pride is more a show of stereotypes,
    Rather than a unified standing against discrimination,
    Not that it isn't a fun event and all

---------- Post added 1st Dec 2013 at 11:05 PM ----------

This is,
    So true,
    Thank you.

---------- Post added 1st Dec 2013 at 11:07 PM ----------

Woohoo!
    I'm from the sole dark green in the Southern Hemisphere :3

3. UndercoverGypsy

There shouldn't be such things as Gay Pride Parades once we have equality, because if we're equal, we have no need to be "proud" of our own sexual preferences. There would be no point, nothing to be proud in, because it would be considered normal. Really, gay pride is more about being proud of the cause of making gays equal than actually being proud of something you have no control over, which just wouldn't make sense.

Also, there used to be black pride parades. Not anymore, because of equality (yeah yeah, there's still racism and all that, but that's the people, not the laws).

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This.

Actually recently I had a chat with my boyfriend about it. He has been to many in different countries, I´ve been to none. (We plan to together next year.)
    So actually he is more about experiencing it, and I look from the other side, how it is preceived.

I think it´s fine to have a parade, I´m quite neutral about it, but one shouldn´t risk their lives wanting to have the the right for it, like in some countries. It´s not like the parades make acceptance. It does show however, that they are not alone in that country, but still I feel there are better ways for that, that aren´t half as risky.

I feel we are trying hard to get something like a Brazilian sexualized carnival. At least it is that part that is always shown. Not the people in clothes that stand for something they work hard for, like supportgroups, LGBT school groups, AIDS awareness and such. People that matter.

My boyfriend is like "I go like I bloody well please, to celebrate" and think that people that dislike it are just sour, envious maybe.
    I can also understand that.
    But if we want more acceptance, this is defenitely not the way.
    But as far as wanting to celebrate, sure , why not.

5. fortheloveoflez

Ya of course we should have equal rights. However, even when that is set in stone that doesn't mean that homophobia will be erased. Until I never hear the whole "I'd hate if my kid were gay/trans" then I'd think being lgbt is more or less "equal"

6. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

No they shouldn't. Feeds into stereotypes and does not show the general public that gays/lesbians are normal, hardworking, tax paying Americans. They are shown as perverts, freaks, and gender bending. Back in the 70s, the motto used to be "we are just like you, except our sexual preference." Today it is a giant shitshow trying to show how different we are from straight people. If we did something like the 1963 March on Washington, that would be remarkable and would show the country that we are average everyday Americans. Gay men could show that they are just like straight men and just as strong, with the only difference being their sexual preference.