1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what on EARTH is with this ridiculous stereotype???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by livi, Nov 29, 2013.

1. livi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok so i told somebody i was a lesbian, and they said "thats awful." and when i asked why, they said "that means you hate men."

im completely sick of this stereotype that says that all lesbians have a hatred to men! Some of my best friends are boys!

2. It's based on the good ol' feminazi, that's all.

3. GingerGuy

Yep. Not all feminazis are lesbians, though

4. campervankid

I agree, my mum has this idea that I wont even want to watch a film or read a book if it is about straight people because I don't like men

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do straight people hate their same gender? No? Didn't think so.

Yeesh, I wonder how many of these people's combined brain matter it would take to fill a dimple on a golf ball.

6. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    The term Feminazi can only apply to the Dworkin types who actualy think women are better than men.

Later on in life she had even more warped views about gender and sex, equating heterosexuality with evil, and even advocating that everyone become androgynous.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be fair, some time ago, I worked with several different groups of lesbians who owned collective businesses. (One was an auto repalr shop, one a professional sound company that did concert sound, and one a wholesale bakery.) Two of the three were absolutely separatists, and really did seem to want nothing whatsoever to do with men. The sound company did actually employ one or two "token men."

I managed to become... tolerated by all of these groups simply because I took the time to understand their concerns and not try to argue with them.

I think there's a subset of lesbians who really dislike men and do everything possible to avoid being around them... but I do think it's a subset, and one that's getting progressively smaller.

8. to be fair - I don't hang out with men

I am tired of guy who try to force me to have sex with them or convert me - the guys at the Gay & Lesbian center at the last city I was in - or the guys who were married to my friends were fine but any single guys I ever ran into 100% of the time - they hit on me

I am serious

at the Bus depot, bus stops, library, sitting waiting for a train to pass by on the street while riding my bike guy rolls down his window, sitting at a red light on a bike, grocery store, list goes on

but for the ones who are with my friends I am fine with them

9. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

10. Lipstick Leuger

I know it. It is pretty silly actually. Especially since I am raising a male, and have several good male friends. (Who think it is hillarious to tease me about all the man hate! LOL) It's just peoples way of trying to make sense of the fact we don't want sex with men. They just don't get it and never will. People think all lesbians are short haired and play softball also......

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll have to remember this expression. It speaks volumes. It's as good as "he (or she) doesn't know how much he (or she) doesn't know."

Regarding lesbians, most seem to get along with men fine, some get along extraordinarily well with men, especially with gay men, and some seem to hate men.

Mostly, it's about reading someone. Any negative kind of eye contact, uneasy attitude, and surliness should tell one to stay away, but this applies to anyone.

I've had a couple of experiences I remember.

I was once in grad school, and was sitting in a corner of the library deep in thought, working on whatever. I then got up to ask something to a woman at the circulation desk, aged 30 or so. She looked at me with hatred, started to almost lose her composure, and angrily answered my question. The question pertained to library operations. To this day, I wonder what I asked that set her off, since I usually get helpful people in libraries.

I was once on vacation and there was a military base nearby. Three women from the base, and with special military plates, were in this rare car that caught my eye. I'm assuming they were lesbians, with one being almost a certainty. I asked them if I could take a picture of the car. The owner said yes and was nice. We even small talked and found out we had lived in some of the same places. The more obvious one, who all posed for a picture with their car, as well, was about 6 feet tall and when I look at the picture, the anger I sensed then was in fact present, and I felt that if I said anything wrong or kept them 30 seconds too long, I would have been decked.

A cousin, who is about 10 years older, saw the picture and said that this woman just needed to "find the right man." I don't think my cousin understands human sexuality since, when he was young, he was convinced women found him irresistible.

12. Saint Otaku

Like some people have been saying, I think people often equate lesbians with a fiercely militant brand of feminism.

Still, many lesbians and women in general, especially the older ones, have suffered and do suffer much oppression from men. Take my grandmother for instance: a lesbian and feminist who was abused by men in the military, was discriminated against by men in school athletics, and lived for years in an unhappy marriage with a man. She still tells me to this day that all men -- myself excepted -- are "awful."

I don't think she's too serious, of course. She lived large portions of her life around men, and even helped them as a prison counselor-or-something.

#12 Saint Otaku, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  13. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    A man actually sticking up for women and feminism. You don't see that every decade.

14. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Uuuuuugh, I know, right? And so much of the time, people figure it's because I had a bad experience with a guy.

15. prism

Let your friend drown in her ignorance. As a lesbian, I LOVE men, I'm just not sexually attracted to them. I've always had a lot of close male friends.

16. fortheloveoflez

THIS^^

And I can write paragraphs and paragraphs on how the whole "lesbians hate men" is actually a statement that is only upheld by misogyny and sexual repression of women