1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contact lenses and eye color

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Any contact lens wearers? How I've avoided needing a correction is beyond me, but I see it coming sooner than later.

Can a person get contacts that would change your eye color? I'm talking either direction, say brown or hazel over to green or blue ... or from green or blue over to brown and hazel.

I'm not saying I'd do this and would go with glasses, most likely, as sticking something in my eye every morning is not something I would look forward to. However, do they get this request? From men as well as women? Do they find it strange?

Thanks.

2. AKTodd

Been wearing contacts since my senior year in HS.

Colored contacts are available in a variety of colors. Not sure how much they cost or if there is any difference in the wearing experience as a result.

It is also apparently possible to get contacts that not only change your eye color but radically change the appearance of your eye. Think having cat eyes or zombie eyes or cyborg eyes or whatever. My eye dr's office sells them and their display easily has over 20 options. Presumably for people who want to kick their Halloween costume up a notch. Again, no idea about cost or wearing experience.

Todd

3. MrBrightside

I wear lenses some of the time, for nights out and work and stuff. Pretty much any time i want to look good. Had a few problems with them, and can only really keep them in 6 hours max alot of the time before they get itchy and i lose them in my eye :grin:

4. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wore them for a couple years in college, but because of my astigmatism I had to get the gas-permeable kind, which really irritated my eyes, so in the end it wasn't worth the trouble for me. Plus, I eventually realized that I preferred my looks with glasses anyhow, so I gave up the contacts pretty quickly.

At the time, you could only go from a light eye color to a dark one, and although I really wanted blue eyes, since mine are brown, I couldn't do the color changers. Now, however, you can get opaque lenses that will allow you to go from brown to blue, green, zebra stripes, whatever, so it's actually rather tempting. I could go from white-gray hair with dark brown eyes, to dark brown hair with blue eyes, and really freak out my co-workers!

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've worn contacts since I was 14. Take a look at my album and you can see my real eye color, and I've been told many a time that I have great eyes, so I have no need to change the color.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've worn contacts since seventh grade. I've been told I have pretty green eyes, but I've always thought it would be cool to have blue or grey colored contacts. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. LD579

You can get coloured contact lenses without a prescription. Those can be worn with glasses, or, if your eyes are fine without aid, with nothing else.

You can also get coloured contact lenses with prescription... including coloured contact lenses with prescription for astigmatism. Buying them online can be quite cheap if you know your prescription.

What I would recommend is getting one pair of coloured contact lenses, without prescription, and seeing if you like them or not on yourself. If possible, try to test them out as opposed to having to buy them (Some or most places don't allow you to test coloured contact lenses).

If you do like them, then you could look into heavier investments (year-round, prescription+astigmatism ones, etc.). If not, then your costs were minimal and you learned that you don't like them. From there, you could try another colour, or you could just see that maybe they're not for you. It heavily depends, I suppose.

I know a few people who wear coloured contact lenses. It's not that odd at all, actually. One of them is asian and she wears gray/purple (Haven't stared at her eyes enough to be sure xD) ones, and while that's honestly a bit striking, as most asian people have brown eyes, I think it looks perfectly fine and that they're easy to get used to on someone else.

8. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Half-blind without corrective lenses, but can't wear them. Apparently, my eyes are "too flat". How do you like that?

9. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've had prescription contact leses before but they were just a pain in the backside. I have a thick black pair of glasses. If I really don't want to wear them then I just take them off and suffer. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Hopeful

I've worn my contacts for a few years now (I've had glasses since I was 8) and I like them. I have astigmatism, which gives me fewer options, plus my eyes get dry and contacts irritate them but I think it's worth it. I like my eye color, light blue with green, so I've never gotten colored lenses, nor do I know what the price difference would be.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been wearing lenses since probably middle school.

1) Yes, there are contacts that can change your eye color. Depending on the brand and their selection, you have an interesting range of options. I have dark brown eyes, almost black--so I can't certain shades with this one brand that are meant for lighter colored eyes. (I've had hazel, green, two shades of blue and gray before). There are websites that sell different odd designs and colors, but if you have an astigmatism like I do, then it's harder to find something that works with it.

2) Yeah at first I felt weird and uncomfortable putting an object near my eye, and at first it was a bit annoying getting them in and stressful getting them out. But after a while it's like nothing. They don't feel strange, at least to me they don't. Sometimes I forget that I'm wearing them until I check a mirror unless I'm wearing plain ones then it's harder to remember.

12. person57

I wear the contact lenses that are supposed to help you see but I do believe there are contact lenses that change your color. Trust me, sticking something in your eye every morning is worth it. It's not as bad as it seems and it didn't hurt me at all. It felt weird the first time I tried contacts but it doesn't hurt at all. I love contacts and I think they're way better than glasses. Also, I've been wearing contacts for about seven months now.

13. prism

If you have brown eyes, colored eye contacts won't look natural. I have a few friends with dark brown eyes that tried blue/green lenses, but the brown still shows through as a circle around the new color.

14. Zooombini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wear contacts and yes they do have colored contacts that can "change" your eye color, although they are often uncomfortable. You can buy some that are more comfortable, but they're often really expensive.

There are also tinted contacts that are generally there for your natural eye color to be enhanced. Those usually are more comfortable.

15. Sarcastic Luck

Contacts really aren't that bad. I've only ever had the soft ones though, so I can't tell you how the hard contacts are. It's a bit frustrating to put them in and it can feel weird, initially, but they're worth it. I ended up getting some green tinted contacts, and they did decently enough. I honestly wouldn't mind some of the theater ones.

However, there's some minor things to look out for.

You'll need to invest in a good pair of sunglasses. The contacts will make everything brighter and if you have sensitive eyes like me? Holy hell will it hurt.

When you're putting the contacts in, make sure you don't have them inside out. It'll hurt. Also make sure you don't have any hairs or anything in your eyes. Eyelashes under the contacts, again, hurts.

The sunglasses are probably the big thing.