1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those of you in the closet...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drwinchester, Nov 21, 2013.

1. thekillingmoon

Listening to my mother say how I should get married and all that stuff. Also when people ask me if I have a boyfriend, makes me feel bad. I'm single anyway, so it doesn't matter, just annoying how everyone automatically assumes I'm straight. At this point if anyone other than my family asked me if I'm gay, I would say yes, but apparently I don't look gay, so no one ever asks.

2. C P

C P

Gawd I hate hearing anything related to the bolded; makes me sad still since I am still closeted.

Also, the extreme loneliness, even when around others. :frowning2:

3. Etak

Trying to remember who I can be myself around, and who I can't, and constantly wondering if now is the right time, or if I'm actually straight because of how easily I hide it.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't wait until we get married and I go to the doctor for my yearly physical.

DOCTOR: "So, Mr. (my last name), I hear you just got married. Congratulations! What form of birth control are you and your wife using?"

ME: "The 'My-spouse-is-a-guy-and-can't-get-pregnant' form of birth control."

DOCTOR: "uh..."

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At the end of the day, not being able to be genuine around my friends.

6. CupcakeKisses

The worst thing about being in the closet, for me, is the feeling of anxiety I get when I catch myself checking out someone. I always get this wave of anxiety thinking that someone else saw me. :frowning2: Thankfully, I am out at my school and my anxiety has gotten way way better!

7. Belle

My greatest fear is receiving a negative response from my family. My mom specifically will be very hard to get through. She seems to be very easily influenced by what others think and say, especially if those comments make me appear like an abnormal or defective child. I always know whenever someone has told her something whenever she comes to me asking me why I am not 'normal.' It gets very annoying. I'm just scared on her reaction because I know that once I come out she'll be talking to my aunts and uncles and who knows what ideas the'll put in her head.
    I am also scared of not being able to come out and ending up alone and trying to find excuses to why I am alone. Trying to cover it up takes so much energy out me.

8. Nyarlathotep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Feeling lonely even when I'm around my best friends, I have to constantly watch myself for slip-ups and I just feel like I'm not me around my friends, so it makes everything feel kind of fake and it makes me lonely

9. antimacy

The worst part for me is definitely feeling the need to censor myself, and feeling like I can't really be me. Although, the fear of how people will react and the questions and comments from family members that make me feel like I can't come out are also pretty rough.

10. thisisawug

I am out to a few people now but before that (and still to some extent now) the main thing was the way it is just constantly on your mind. I'm still not sure exactly what my sexuality is, so there was just this constant battle within my head of:

"Maybe this is a good moment to mention something"
    "Even if it is a good moment, what would you say?"
    "You could just go with however you feel at the moment."
    "But what if you change your mind later? Wait, what if you're straight?

And then I'd get back onto the whole inner sexuality debate and it's just so frustrating never getting anywhere with it but constantly thinking about it because you're worried about slipping up.

Also, feeling like you're lying to your friends/family by not mentioning that you're questioning your sexuality even though you've never actually said you're straight.

So basically just a horrible experience. I am infinitely glad that I've been able to come out to few people now.

11. Mrtambourineman

Having to watch what you say. Not telling your parents. Standard stuffs. When I'm with the people who know its so nice to just be myself :slight_smile:

12. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in the enviable position of not having to be in the closet. It sure feels good.

13. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Mainly just fear,

I am finally starting to make some friends and telling them could basically just make me as alone as I was a year ago. I don't think anyone in my school would have a huge problem with it but I just feel like people will act weird around me

14. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Argh, I hate saying this, but a part of me really wishes I kept one foot in the closet while I was still in school, because that was probably one of the worst times of my entire life. If anything, I would've waited until I graduated before I started living as male everywhere, and kept the female facade going while in school but the dysphoria was awful by that point. At least my coworkers and family were well aware before I came out to my teachers and classmates, and I really should've kept my out status limited to just the former.

I guess what really sucked though, was having to hide. Fear of transphobia, being beaten, ridiculed, ect. Being treated less than human. I was sure tossed a lot of shit after I did announce it, and I wasn't even allowed to use the male bathrooms, and teachers hardly ever acknowledged my actual name and pronouns, and I lost pretty much all of my friends in the process. Boy was that a fun, fun time.

I guess now, I carry a sense of accomplishment since I've been living as myself full-time for the past nine-ish months, and now I don't have to worry about who knows or who I'm not out to, because it doesn't really matter. If I were still in the closet today, I might've considered suicide, again. Either that, or I'd be in one hell of a depression I wouldn't be able to escape from unless I started socially and medically transitioning.

15. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ...Not being able to live the way I want to.
    For once, I'm glad I'm surrounded by liberals.

16. C P

C P

Haha, oh wow...that's gonna be fun. XD

That's what I hate, haha. It also sucks in that it makes me potentially miss if so-and-so has been looking back. :dry::lol:

17. Niko

Having to lie about who you really are, because you're not certain if you can trust the person enough with that kind of information about you.

18. CupcakeKisses

@C P So true!!

19. UndercoverGypsy

The fear that if I come out people will start avoiding me, and my one douchebag friend who constantly hints at me being gay in public (really blatantly, too) just to annoy me.

20. Rivers

Hmm.... Back when I was in the closet, I was always worried about my friends finding about my sexuality, and then being freaked out. Losing friends has always been a concern of mine, I suppose.