1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price vs. Value

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Data, Nov 20, 2013.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I saw that, too. I think it might have been in Ohio.

No idea what happens state to state, but there are also allegations that they actually make it a point to teach employees about how to get various welfare benefits.

I wish I could say I never shop Wal-Mart...but there have been a few purchases there. But Wal-Mart is, in general, the last place I shop. In other words, I go there for stuff I can't find elsewhere easily. Like when I wanted to try a Mexican laundry detergent. (Oh, what a thrilling life I lead!) But my total purchases one week at Fred Meyer (Kroger owned, one stop shopping including full grocery store, and which is unionized in Washington) is far greater than I have spent at Wal-Mart the last several years combined.

The Wal-Mart product that really got me: fair trade certified coffee. It's nice, but it would be so much nicer if they'd also consider "fair trade" for their employees in the US.

But...being fair, Wal-Mart isn't the only place that has "Low wages. Always."

2. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

In terms of food I always try to buy the best stuff even if it has a high price. Food is like a form of health insurance if you ask me. When you see documentaries about fast food, or see how the Man vs. Food guy had to quit due to health concerns then you start to see what eating garbage on a regular basis can do to you.

3. justjade

You know, this is a great thread! My husband an I have talked about this topic at length recently, mostly about pots and pans since my sister is wanting to get some for when she moves out of our dad's house. Anyway, my husband came up with a pretty solid idea: If you're looking for something, always get the middle of the road item as far as price, like if there's a $5 pan, a $40 pan, and a $100 pan, go with the $40 one. The $10 is just cheap right off the bat, and the $100 one is likely priced so just because of the brand. Another thing I find that helps is reading the reviews for products online. That's what stopped me from buying Orgreenic pans for my husband for Christmas.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have tools my grandfather used, yeah they're worn in parts, but still functional! There is simply no substitute for having the right tool.

Ultimately the most important quality "tool" is your own mindset, your own attitude regarding what is acceptable and what is not.

5. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

Yeah, it makes me sick when stuff is expensive because of the name alone.

6. justjade

I know, right? I hate the idea of paying for a name, especially as an artist. When it comes to buying paintings, you're mostly paying for the artist's popularity, not necessarily for the quality of the work or the social impact.

As for other goods, I just want to buy what's going to work and last me a while. I don't want to buy something just because "that's a good brand" or whatever.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This can be an issue. Although sometimes there can be an expensive brand that can actually be worth the money.

With pans as an example, there is Le Creuset (French enameled iron brand) as an example. Expensive--but a lot of people swear by Le Creuset. I have heard more than one story about a person who bought one Le Creuset pot, and that pot pretty much becomes the only pot they use. One person even didn't bother putting it in a cabinet after washing because it would almost certainly be used for the next meal so it might as well just sit out where it's handy.

Indeed, there is a part of me that thinks I wouldn't mind going down that road: one really good pot to cook in day to day, and a bunch of OK pots to handle occasional tasks like making lots of stock or cooking pasta. The only problem is My Inner Sloth likes the idea of lots of pots so that I can just wash everything in a dishwasher. But handwashing might be OK if the Le Creuset pot was pretty enough, I guess.

Of course, Le Creuset's price may be partly name...but other brands of similar quality aren't much cheaper. Unless of course you go to Chinese enameled iron, but at least some of that has had huge durability problems. I've heard stories of people having a Chinese pot blow bits of enamel the first time it is used.

---------- Post added 20th Nov 2013 at 10:14 AM ----------

While I think buying quality is a Good Idea, there is a possibility of going too far. Aiming too high.

When I was young, I had too much of tendency of Aiming High--Too High. Looking back, my first computer was probably more computer than I really needed. My first good audio system was probably overkill, too, and I'd probably have been able to acquire it a lot sooner had I been a little more...modestly minded. Then, again, that system wasn't the most expensive one that dealer could put together...

8. AAASAS

You have to understand price doesn't dictate quality.

There are equal products with grave price differences, because people like you respond to branding positively. I on the other hand hate name brands, and don't necessarily trust them more. I know they cut corners whenever to increase profits, and that you as a single consumer do not matter as much.

The only thing I can think of is, I haven't found a Coke drink that I like more than Coca-cola.

But everything else you can buy a cheap version and get the same.

It is extremely idiotic to dish out cash because you recognize a brand. That is companies using human instincts against you. You get over-exposed to something, and that becomes something you can trust. We are always wary of different things, and companies know this, which iss why they try so hard to establish recognizable brands.

But this doesn't mean quality, it just means you have been tricked into trusting them.

American cars are a great example, many of them are more expensive than cheaper Japanese vehicles, but are 10x crappier.

We have been over-exposed to these brands, and ads, that we learn to trust it without giving others a chance.

I would rather pay $12,000 of a Hyundai than $25,000 for a piece of shit Ford or Chevy.

I drive a Chrysler and would never buy from the company again, even though I love Jeep's and Dodge vehicle. They're poop now just complete poop, minus the Wrangler.

I buy Adidas shoes because they are way cheaper than others, especially skate shoes, where I live, yet they last way longer. Any U.S brand of shoes falls a part in a couple months, but I have $30 Adidas Campus' from 5 years ago still. All my $60 plus shoes are at the dump.

I can eat at a Franchise restaurant and get a decent meal that tastes good because of too much salt and sugar, or spend half that at an independent restaurant and get food that is 10X better, and much larger portions.

So I really don't get your statement I have found almost the complete opposite.

#28 AAASAS, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  9. Minx

I love value.:love: But at the moment price (cheap) is a survival tool. :frowning2:

So, price for now unfortunately. :/

10. Data

Data Guest

I disagree. I pay for quality, not for brand name. If I end up buying a brand name and paying for it, it's worth it. I am not easily influenced by ads and for you to assume that I am is false. Every example I gave was 1st hand personal experience, not ads.

I don't like American vehicles because of quality issues. I don't really like Asian makes because they seem flimsy to me. If my friend got into her 92 Toyota Corolla and I got into my old 93 190E and we got into a wreck, I'd feel safe in my Benz but not in that 'Rolla. Now I drive my 84 190D and I have no airbags. I don't need them because the car is built so incredibly well. I've been in 2 car accidents in my 290E before I sold it, and it took the hits in stride. Asian cars are so "soft" the unibody tends to bend and becomes a total loss.

As for food and sneakers, I didn't really intend on discussing food when I made this thread and my sneakers get used up to the point of failure so I never buy the best most expensive pair. I get whatever pair fits well and I wear them for a year. By the time they die, they stink and are grungy. I don't like spending top of line cash on things that will get thrown out in set period of time no matter what.

Briansmobile1 on YouTube says "Use it up, wear it down. Make it do or do without." I love that saying because I buy the best product I can and make it last as long as possible. Whether a brand name happens to be top of the line or not is just the way things play out.

11. for me it all depends on what I am buying

I check very carefully on food, the ingredients and all it is has everything that I am looking for - I then and only then go for price - I shop around various stores and all to get the best.

I am Vegan, check for non-GMO & organic - and I cook most stuff from scratch rather than packaged food

for manufactured items I try for mostly mid-range and look at as many ratings to get the best quality for my money especially since I have so little of it. as I have seen - if you buy something cheap - it breaks in 2 minutes. :tears:

but there are certain things anymore - you simply can't buy quality :bang: - so go for the cheapest possible and replace it every time it breaks (most little plastic stuff are supposed to be throwaway anymore :***: , at least we have recycle programs now :thumbsup: )

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The whole purpose of brands is to short-circuit thinking. It's hard to think and it takes time to inform yourself of the quality of things. Cars are a case in point: (this is NOT and endorsement by the way) Ford cars have vastly improved in quality over their cars of a few years ago, remember they were the only car company that survived the Great Recession. They had a long history of crappiness, but now they're only guilty by association.

Toyota, on the other hand, have abandoned to some extent the famous "Toyota Production System" and, from what I've read, the quality has suffered.

My main point is this: we need to steer away from automatic thinking and start informing ourselves about what is really happening out there. It is just as automatic to think that all American cars are crap and all Japanese cars are top notch (I have a Nissan Versa whose clutch gave up the ghost at 57,500 km (about 36,000 miles) to prove that crappiness is apparently one of the features they don't tell you about).

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I can afford it, and TRULY afford it? I go for the stuff I know has better quality, regardless of the price.

Otherwise, I've been taught value>price. Both from parents and from learning on my own. Waffles? I get the Dominick's brand. I actually like them a bit better than Eggo. All my dairy products go to the one for the best value. When I'm looking online, I look at at least 2 manufacturer sites as well as Ebay (Almost got a DBZ Dragon Box for 5 bucks. That's like getting a car for the price of a Nintendo DS). My card is pretty much cleared, so now I'm saving up the latter half of my Subway sandwich for tomorrow.

I stay away from Guitar Center, Newegg (because Microcenter has cheaper prices AND it's physically close to me), Jewel if I can help it, and Wal-mart, if I can help it. Target's better, anyway. Gotta love the smell of popcorn as you enter a Target :slight_smile:

... yeah.

#33 Jinkies, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  14. Gallatin

Generally, I try to find the middle ground between price and value. There are some things I won't budge on, though (for example, no generic cola, only Coke), and I usually try to stay away from lower-end items when it comes to things like technology.

15. prism

I come from a low-income family. I buy store-brand everything and 99% of my clothing comes from thrift stores.
    I save a lot of money that way, so I'm a bit less frugal with electronics that I really want.

16. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Even cheap junk is expensive where I live. I usually just buy the good stuff.

17. Artemicion

I have to mention that value is in the eye of the beholder...Thus it is difficult to determine what is "cheap".

That aside, I'm a crazy shopper and I usually compare all prices ranges of the same product before making a purchase.

18. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If it means sacrificing comfort, security, or enjoyment, I'll probably pony up a few dollars, if the product is worth the price, since these are what I value most.

There are grey areas, sure, like if I'm on a budget, or if I'm flat broke, obviously, but if it's a first or one time thing, I can settle for less.

19. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sage advice. Reviews can be very helpful. Might start following that middle road approach myself, but there are just some things I will not compromise on. Food, for example.

20. Funny - for me - Mexican stuff is trivial - the Mexican market is actually my closest market, makes it easy, "El Super" 1.5 miles by bicycle, and just a bit up the road is an Asian market - not just tiny corner markets but both of them large grocery store but which also cater to basic neighborhoods and since I am Vegan I can us both of these to cater to my diet. AND it saves money.

in fact the Targets and Trader Joe's are more like 4 miles away - as are the Foods Co (Kroger) and Food Maxx (a bit cheaper than Kroger)

also - I never shop @ Walmart - stopped the day one of their associates scammed me.