1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patriotism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Siarad, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Khadian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly, what is Patriotism? I honestly do not know any more. What once was something where it meant deep feelings for ones country has been twisted in a sense. Do I support the wars that we involve ourselves in? No. I support the men and women that go to fight in those wars because they are doing what they are told to do and really have no choice in the matter. I work beside them every day. I know how they feel about the various wars. Some of them have expressed they hope they are not sent back into battle and can't wait to be done with their years of service. Does that make them unpatriotic? Absolutely, not. That makes them human.

It's the games that are played by the politicians that have made this such a complex question to answer. So, if patriotism is a matter of do I support our troops? Yes. Do I support the games that the politicians are playing in governing this country? No, because I believe they have lost sight of speaking for the people. I have written to my congressman on varying issues and each time I get a response that he or she will vote as they feel vs. taking into consideration the views of those that elected them. For many, it has become a money game with lobbyist buying their votes.

I stopped thinking about which country is better then the other one long ago. Honestly, I think they are all the best in their own special way. I've travelled to several and have several more that I would like to see. I've gone from visiting countries like Great Britain, Canada, Australia, and others to visiting countries that are considered third world. In each, I have seen good and bad. I woudn't mind living in each for a bit to learn more about the culture. There is just so much out there to learn. I'm all about understanding people and what better way to understand the other than to experience the culture in which they were raised :wink:

2. Patriot - Raised in such a way to be - step father was in the air force - served in Korea. I actually attempted but disqualified due to having asthma - fortunately - I really don't have the proper temperament.
    Highs - none - we are better than you? Why? Pretty danged racist/judgmental
    lows/pitfalls - people start thinking they are better than everyone else and get racist and short sighted - they actually thinkl it is OK to bomb other countries and not care about people starving or dying "out there", people just think they are better than others
    Compare to others - almost non-existent - I think more globally

I have to agree - here I was raised in a household that seriously believed in nationalism but I came to believe in peace activism - I am pretty much a hippie.

I get the foreign envy all the time - if I had the actual possible way I would emigrate.

3. Abbra

I can't really define what America is anymore. It's so divided on every little thing that I'm not sure what we are. Other than the caricatures of America, I'm unsure of what our own culture is other than some superficial things.