1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom basically knows.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GirlWhoWaited, Nov 11, 2013.

1. GirlWhoWaited

So my mom straight-up asked me if I'm questioning my sexuality today. She's not homophobic at all, so I wasn't worried about that. She did take me by surprise a little, though, so I was kind of off my game. I told her that I wasn't questioning (well, I'm not), but that I really preferred not to label myself, and that I had never been in love with a girl, but it wouldn't be a big deal or a shock if I ever was. She told me I should have been a lawyer. :roflmao:

2. TheUglyBarnacle

She's right. XD That was a diplomatic way of being honest. XD
    Congrats on coming out...in your special way. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's nice to hear coming out stories that went good. Your mom's amazing. :slight_smile:

3. selfboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  4. GirlWhoWaited

Thanks! My mom is amazing. She was the only person in my family to stick up for my cousin when he came out (I was 4 at the time. He was 18.), so I knew she'd be cool. I'm just not so good with the touchy-feelies, so I was hoping it wouldn't come up unless I got a girlfriend. It's kind of nice that I don't have to worry about it, now, I guess. Lol.

5. apostrophied

Hahahaha... I think you'd have a future as either a lawyer or a politician. XD

But I'm glad it went well for you and that your mom's cool with it! On one hand it sucks being pulled out of the closet, but if she was acepting about it, it kind of saves you the trouble, you know?

6. GirlWhoWaited

Yeah, she probably knew if she didn't bring it up, I never would. Lol. This way, I don't get to talk myself out of it. Thanks! :icon_wink

7. apostrophied

Exactly! And you're welcome!! :slight_smile:

8. GirlWhoWaited

9. Robben

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out to my Mother she was accepting, but she did say I was mature and that I am experienced. She was not able to offer any advice. She felt it was more of a decision and a choice. For me the struggle is in being gay without the same family. While I have come out to my Mother and Brother, I feel they are far from offering any real empathy or insight. You can get AIDS has been the only caution they gave. They don't know what it is to have a sincere same sex relationship. They only know that my being gay is what I believe is right for me.

10. GirlWhoWaited

Hi, Robben. :smilewave I don't know your situation, but maybe they don't know what to say. It's hard to advise someone on something you've never gone through yourself. They've heard it leads to AIDS, so that's what they tell you. It might be the only thing they have to offer. It seems like you've been given a great opportunity to help them have a more realistic view of what relationships mean for you, and for the LGBT community in general. Even if she thinks it's a choice, she's accepting of you for who you are, it sounds like. So, maybe it isn't a bad choice in her mind. It's a step in the right direction, at least. :slight_smile:

11. GayNerd

Aside from the lawyer part, all went good! :lol: I'm so happy for you. :grin:

12. GirlWhoWaited

Nah, the lawyer part was just her being her. We're close, so we tend to be sarcastic with each other. :wink: