What did you want to be when you grow up?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drakkarlucifer, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My answer to this question still changes daily... I'll apologize in advance, as this is sure to be a long post. Fortunately, I can take advantage of the extra hour is just acquired, thanks to Daylight Savings Time. xD

Age 5-10: No clue. I changed dreams everyday. Mostly I just wanted to be a Disney Villain or a Spice Girl...

Age 10-15: I found a serious goal of becoming a Marine Biologist. With a brief interlude of wanting to be a teacher, an Egyptologist, a counsellor, and a Senator. Immediately after announcing to the class during the dreaded Career Week my goals of Marine Biology, and discovering another student who shared this dream, I promptly killed it. Why? Apparently I also wanted to be one of a kind...

After about age 16 (ironically enough when my career goals should have become more serious) I swerved abruptly left and fell in love with professional wrestling. I had even picked out schools to go to, saved all my money from odd jobs to attend them, and planned my entire road to the top. Soon after, I realized it was more political amongst the major brands of Sports-Entertainment.

Then I wanted to be a comedian. Still kind of do actually. And I love writing. Something with writing would be ideal. I'd also want to do something food-related, since that's so much more than just a passion for me (and, I'm actually pretty good at it).

So, in my dream world, I would write for a newspaper or magazine, write books and cookbooks occasionally, and then do stand-up or improv on the weekends. Maybe have a talk show or a radio show or something like that.

I'd sell my soul-less shell of a corpse to Beelzebub for a sitcom thrown in there somewhere. But not just acting on a sitcom. I want to create my own vision and build it around myself, because I'm a total control freak.

Other career options I've considered for more than ten minutes include: bed and breakfast owner, personal chef/caterer, real estate agent, clergyman (as recommended by a career aptitude test - I'm not even kidding), specialty foods store owner, artist, cultural attaché, kitchen designer, Muppeteer.

Oddly enough, I never saw myself going for what my family urged me to take a course for. I finished (with pretty decent grades too) a certification course to become a fully-fledged Pharmacy Technician (which places around here provide training for, this setting me ahead because I'd need far less training than most other applicants.) I even applied to every pharmacy in the area years ago. Honestly, I'm glad I never got hired as one though.

At least when I dream, I do it big and in vibrant Technicolor detail. I even imagine arguing with an editor or having a pre-tape meeting with fellow producers before filming a talk show.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very first thing was possibly a chemist, though I'll say an astronomer to play it safe. My "future profession" went in a thousand directions. Botonist, chemist, writer, animator, voice actor, musician, demonologist, paranormal investigator, stunt coordinator, marine biologist, director, forensic scientist, forensic anthropologist, FBI officer, EMT, detective, crime fighter ETC...

3. Siarad

Either Britain's first lesbian Prime Minister or a successful film director.

To be honest, I'd still very happily take the latter now but I might change the former to Britain's first (as far as I know) lesbian Education Minister.

4. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I wanted to write true crime from the time I was in high school. I still want to do that, but I also want to establish a nonprofit, and I want to make documentaries about everything, the topics ranging from history to biographies and modern social issues.

My father instilled a ruthless competitive drive to be like him: rich, cruel, domineering, and ambitious. I fantasized about running a corporation, surpassing my father and uncle in financial success, and using that money to buy a mansion with a pool, and women. When I realized how horrible I was at math and that I couldn't ever dream of matching my father's abilities in terms of running a business, I was initially devastated. But I also started to consider things differently, and I realized how my true self (and my woman half) had been suppressed as a result of being raised in such a machismo household. As expected, I floated away from the ideals I had previously cherished, but my father continued to pressure me to be like him.

Ironically I became the exact opposite - I began to revolt against him by the time I was 18. My worldview had already shifted when I was 15, because that was when I had the epiphany that not only was I not like my father, but that inwardly I was a woman too. I still have that ruthless drive to accomplish my goals, but my goals aren't the same and now my agenda is focused solely on Third Worldism.

5. Case

Currently DE. Also, FL, NV, AL and California!
    In middle school I wanted to be a horse trainer. When I hit high school I settled on wanting to pursue forensic anthropology. So when I made it to college I majored in physical anthropology for 3 years. I then found out I didn't like it as much as I should have. Since I was minoring in sociology, I took several criminal justice classes. I also took a crime scene investigation class a year before and love the police work side more then the science. So I changed majors to criminal justice and decided that I wanted to me a police office and make detective. When I took my internship with a wilderness outdoor education organization I found my love of the outdoors. So I've finally figured out what suits me and that is being a US Park Ranger/Law Enforcer. So I'm going back to school to finish my training this year.

So, I've changed my mind a lot. I still want to train horses one day. Think I'll do that when I retire. I also plan to volunteer as a part of a dog search and rescue team once I land a permanent job as a Ranger.

6. MyChemRomance

Ever since I was 5 I've wanted to be a singer. Now, (I'm 13) I've decided to learn guitar. I'm getting better and I'm planning on forming a band soon. Except I'm going to be the lead guitarist.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Despite all the interesting careers everyone else seems interested in, I have to admit I've always felt destined for public service. Being a bureaucrat at DFAT seems to be my life's goal. My great aunt seems interested in me becoming an academic professor like her, even though that doesn't bring in much money. Not everyone can marry an upper-class Swiss NASA engineer to support their career. :dry:

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always wanted to go into law school to be a civil rights lawyer, but then that changed into activism/journalism (mainly focused on LGBT issues), which is what I want to do now. I also want to maybe do something with helping people in need.

9. Ridiculous

I wanted to work at the Lego factory in Denmark.

Dang I want to be an aardvark when I grow up now.

10. leer

from a young age I wanted to be a lorry - truck driver just like my dad I had loads of them as toys I had a favored one I refused to go to bed without it As I got older I went of that Idea.I liked the Idea of becoming a wrestler me and a few mates would play wrestling but I realized you could get hurt easily ''bit of a wimp at that time '':icon_sad:.From the age of 10 I wanted to be a professional Footballer something I knew I was good at I was in the school side & for a time a sunday league boys team I would have loved to be taken on by a club I was scouted by a local side ''Stockport County '' but I didnt get taken on .:tears:

11. kem

kem

When I was 7, I wanted to be a gymnast. I still sort of do. If only my parents had put me in a gymnastics class... :/ From first grade until grade 7 I wanted to be an artist/painter. Then I sort of lost faith in myself and decided to focus on languages and become an English teacher one day. In high school I greatly improved my artistic eye and realised I wanted to be an artist again.

12. BiPenguin

When I was grades five and six, I wanted to buy a big bus and travel Australia going to schools and public places to perform as a Puppeteer.

13. lukeluvznicki13

Ages 7-9 : a teacher
    Ages 9-11: famous singer
    Ages 11-13: famous actor
    Ages 13+: a lawyer :slight_smile:

14. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Guest

Let's see:
    1. A Drawing Artist
    2. A Ventriloquist
    3. A Farmer
    4. A Singer