Queer identified straight people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Oct 25, 2013.

1. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Holy shit, no one thinks this way. Maybe two people on the internet and that's it. Aside from that, no straight person gives a damn.

2. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    That doesn't make sense. If none of them think like this, why is the Queer movement becoming inclusive to them?

3. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's not. At all.

edit: Aside from straight allies which do no harm, obviously.

4. jargon

I'm open to the possibility, actually.

Being a cishet doesn't automatically make you part of the "dominant"/"privileged" category. Granted, it helps. But consider an openly cross-dressing, straight, cisgender male. Does he actually have it easier than most openly gay guys? I suspect that on average, he actually has a harder time, since most people can't wrap their heads around his combination of gender identity, gender presentation and sexual orientation.

IMHO, "queer" doesn't mean non-cishet; it means non-dominant with regards to sexuality and/or gender. Obviously the line for exactly who that includes is fuzzy, but the point should be to eliminate taboos about the sexual lives of all consenting adults, not just the particular ones that are relevant to us.

5. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not too worried about those guys. I'm mostly worried about cishet girls calling themselves queer to attract guys or seem more unique and rebellious. Kind of like what happened to the term bisexual. That is one of the reasons why I don't identify as bisexual. I don't want to be grouped with cishet girls. I would identify as gay or lesbian if I could know for sure that I don't like guys.

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Queer? Straight? At the same time? Sounds like a paradox, or maybe something a left-wing extremist would say. (i.e. "EVERYONE CAN BE LGBTQIAOMGWTFBBQ! IT'S HOW THEY IDENTIFY THAT MATTERS, F*** COMMON SENSE!")
    "Queer" was simply a word that meant "odd" or "strange" when it first started out. It devolved into a homophobic slur, and now it's being reclaimed by the gay community, or something- the current slang for it has a fuzzy definition (does it refer to gender, sexuality, behaviours, or what?).
    So long as it's not a "phase" or adopted by attention-begging girls to make themselves special or whatever...
    I guess I can try to wrap my head around it.

7. akct1991

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I live in San Francisco and spend a lot of time in Berkeley, so I run into this a lot, especially at party's. I hate it. It was incredibly difficult for me to accept that I'm gay so seeing too progressive for their own good twenty something's calling themselves queer as if it's a political position is incredibly annoying and devaluing. My thought process is did you ever struggle with being queer? Have you ever felt uneasy holding your partners hand in public? No. It's like white suburban kids who want to be black, it's annoying. Ironically the same straight people who call themselves queer or some variation of it are the same people who constantly accuse others of cultural appropriation.