1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blm, Oct 23, 2013.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For my gender... 12, maybe?
    For my sexuality... not sure.

2. mvjp

i started coming out properly at 19

my uncle however was about 30 and was so scared about coming out that he did it while on a business trip in australia (his parents live in wales) he also waited until after his dad passed away because he was scared of being rejected - the irony being he later found out that his dad had always suspected and didnt mind in the slightest

he has now been in a steady happy relationship with his now fiance for 16 years :slight_smile:

3. castle walls

I started to come out to my close friends when I was 14. I came out to my immediate family when I was 15

4. PalestrinaMX

I was 20 when I came out. I did it because I fell in love with a guy and felt I could no longer hide who I was.

5. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    22, I'm still only out to one person though

6. Thedistra

16 to my family and before I knew it my sister told the whole world so fully out as well.

7. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I started realizing I was gay around 16, and came out at 18.

8. feelinglostx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've had feeling things weren't right since I was 12, I started realizing I was a lesbian when I was 14 but didn't tell anyone, I'm only coming out to people properly now at 24.

9. sysreq

I was 14 when I came out...just a week ago.

10. Cerith23

Came out to my parents 12th October 2013! 17 years old... Still not out to friends or anyone else.

11. jalen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm just now coming out at 19.

12. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am 28. The only people to whom I have admitted I am gay are the folks here on EC and the therapist I will be beginning sessions with in a week and a half. I've only talked to him on the phone so far. My goal is to slowly widen that circle to friends who I know will be supportive.

Like everyone else said, your right time to start coming out is when you are ready. Don't let anyone else's "coming out" age make you feel bad about starting to consider coming out at 25. Many (not all) of the teenagers on this board are lucky to have families and communities that are much more accepting than either of us grew up in. There's something to be said for anxiety issues varying from person to person that can make coming out more difficult as well.

P.S. I in no way want to diminish the bravery of the teens on the board who have come out to their friends and family. You rock! FWIW, this 28 year old admires your courage and aspires to be as honest with my friends and family as many of you already are.

13. Emulator

Hard to tell. I've been giving hints along the way, but as written on my profile no one knows the whole story yet.
    I guess I started hinting around...12? 13?

14. Tzoa

I'm not really sure what the "rules" of coming out are. About a couple weeks after I realized I might be bi I went to the adviser for my school's LGBTQ club and told her I was questioning. A week later, I had told my mom and a couple friends that I'm bi.

This was all a couple months ago, so I guess it's safe to say that I started coming out at 23. I'm still not comfortable telling anyone else I know (my dad, brother, other friends, the numerous people I know from school) but one day I'm sure I would, if the topic came up.

15. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I started to think I was gay in my mid 40s but have only just come out at the age of 53.

I now feel as though I'm 17 again so I am reborn as a teenager.

Sale Gay Guy

#35 SaleGayGuy, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  16. Tzoa

That sounds both amazing and terrifying at the same time.

17. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I was 21 when I came out to my parents. I told close friends a year earlier! I felt like I had left it so late and I was just causing myself unnecessary worry but I never felt comfortable with it before then. I don't think there's a right or wrong age to come out. Just do it when you feel the time is right and everything will be fine!

18. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've just started coming out at 22.

19. Juneberry

Out Status:
    Some people
    The first time I tried to come out was when I was 'round 12 as well. Back then, I was living with my grandparents and my father was in fairly bad state...The one I tried to come out to was my grandmother. You can see that story in the subforum.

The first time I came out to my father was when I was about 14/15, starting high school. Dad was in better shape then when I was younger, and he was very comfortable with it. He was one of those people who sort of knew what was going on before being told, and just smiled because I finally admitted it to him myself.

As to how to know when it's the right time though? I think it depends on you. I told my grandmother when I did because I thought she could help me understand it better since she was a social worker/nurse, and that drove my feelings that it was time to come out to her. With my dad? I hated hiding things from him to begin with, and I started going out with a girl online at that point, so I figured this way it wouldn't be hard to talk to him about stuff with her too. But...I think the way to come out and when is based on you and the people involved. It's not something that age decides, but your inner feelings and your trust in those around you.

What might make it easier for you to come out is to choose someone you trust and perhaps someone you know is comfortable with the LGBT community. This is just my guess, but...If you have at least one person supporting you, it might make it easier for you to build up the courage to tell others. But you should also wait until you feel ready. Thus...Trust should be a major factor in this. If you don't trust the person to accept you, it might make it harder on you when you're first starting to come out.

20. BiJimmy

BiJimmy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was in my mid-40s