1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blm, Oct 23, 2013.

1. blm

blm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi all, how old we're you when you came out, I haven't told anyone and I'm 25 I feel like it's totally depressing me as I feel ready for a relationship but doesn't feel ready for everyone to know that I'm gay. Not a good combo I know I feel trapped. I guess what I'm asking is how will I know the right time to come out at this rate my chance of happiness is non existent, and also how do you all feel about having secret relationships, what's your opinion on this?

2. June Cleaver

I was 18 when my boyfriend outed me. My parents already knew because I thought I was a girl when I was younger. But he gave them proof positive. June

3. Colours

I was 19 when I started coming out, but I came out to most when I was 20.

4. Ruthven

I don't know, you may just know when it's the right time for you to come out. When you feel comfortable. Of course, it could just happen somehow even when you're not ready like it did with me.

I was 18, almost 19 by two months, when I came out.

Hmm...if I was in a secret relationship, I think I might be frustrated with having to well keep affections and all that hidden away all the time. But if I knew it was only temporary and my partner just needed to get themselves like comfortable and do it at their own pace and all that, I'd understand and be patient I guess.

5. Lerenmika

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Came out as bi at ~15/16, came out as a lesbian at 22. There is no magic age that's 'best'-- it's whenever you're ready.

6. GayNerd

13. I know it's quite young, but at your age, more people would believe you. Just make sure that you have a place to live in case your parents aren't supportive.

7. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 26 and bi and am just now starting to come out to a few close friends and family. It took me that long to be comfortable enough in my own skin to be able to tell anyone else. Don't come out to anyone else before you're out to yourself, if that makes sense.

8. apostrophied

Told some people when I was in my mid-teens, but only really starting to come out now, at close to 22. Don't do it if you're not ready or if you can't live with the potential consequences. On the other hand, if you feel like the only thing holding you back is irrational fear, maybe try to go ahead anyway. Good luck!

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Started coming out to people irl at 15, and now I'm 17 and fully out. I'm proud with the progress I made. :slight_smile:

10. gamma

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 25 and I have just started to come out. I think you'll know when your're ready. When I started voicing the truth to myself it didn't take long until I stated to feel comforable sharing it with others. I'm far from fully out in that I haven't told that many face to face, but I don't hide it anymore.
    As far as relationships go, if you find a guy you like who is willing to enter a relationship under current circumstances, then go ahead. I doubt it's healthy keeping it a secret in the long run, but as long as you're both ok with it I see no harm in trying. Good luck to you!

11. Girl24

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was 23 when I realised I had feelings for a girl (having never really questioned my sexuality before). I started talking about it to a close friend within a week and gradually opened up more to him over the following few weeks as my feelings grew stronger. It took me about six weeks to say anything to the girl I'd fallen for and then another three months or so before I said anything to my parents.

I found, though, that my main reason for coming out was that I'd found someone I love and I didn't want to have to keep our relationship a secret and live a double life. I think if we hadn't ended up together, I wouldn't have felt the need to 'come out' and announce my sexuality to anyone. It's simply a part of who I am, and I shouldn't need to announce it.

12. Amerigo

all alone on the edge of 19

13. lovely lesbian

27 but then I'm not out to everyone x

14. BiPenguin

I have not 'come out' but a small handful of people know. Solely because I see it as my business. Anyway, I was more outed when I was in high school by one of my brothers who walked into my bedroom to find me and another fella together in process of sex. What a way to be outed. LOL

I was about 14 years old.

15. leer

16. timo

I first came out at 21.

17. Hexagon

12 for sexuality. I first told someone about my gender when I was ~8, started coming out for real at 15.

18. Given To Fly

I came out last year not long after I turned 31. Wished I had done it years ago but now I figure there's no sense in having regrets. :slight_smile:

19. TheOutsideLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  20. Hrantou

First time I ever told anyone I was probably 12 or 13. The next time I told my group of friends, I was probably 15 or 16 in high school. Gradually over the years, I told more people. Now I'm 21, and the last person to tell will be my sister. After that, everyone who is important to me in my life will know.

I've been in *semi* secret relationship. His family didn't know, but his friends did, and we avoided the family founding out like the plague. For us it didn't work in the end. Too many secrets ruined us in the end.

As for the right age to come out, I'm a firm believer of doing it when you're ready. I was forced to come out to my family when I was 17. It didn't go well because I wasn't ready.