1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disrespectful Ungrateful LGBT Youth? New Generation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DrkRayne, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Nyanko

When you ignore the fact they're LGBT teens, it really sounds like just a bunch of teenage girls talking crap about celebrities. Teenagers talk crap about everything, I don't think it really matters whether they're gay or not.

2. gamma

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the majority of the LGBT youth do have a clue. Ellen (and others) sure paved the way, but it's still far from being paved enough to walk on comfortably for many of us, young and old.
    Dumb and spoiled kids exists within our community too, but I do think most of us knows how much we owe our relative freedom to courageous men and women fighting the fight before us, but we also know many battles lie ahead.

Also. Rizzles <3

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I LOVE Ellen. :3 Anyways, I try to educate myself about LGBT history, figures and issues whenever I get the chance. I'm not sure if that makes me the majority or minority in the new LGBT generation.

4. tallygirl1128

As one of those of that generation, I try my best to stay educated on the issues of our community. I also do my best to educate those outside our community. Back in my senior year of high school, I did a whole project on AIDS to help educate others to show them that it isn't a "gay disease" and in the project I educated them on how it effect our community back in the 80s. To be honest, in almost every project I've done where I was able to pick the topic, I've picked a topic that would highlight our struggle just a little more. I did a project against cyberbullying with emphasis to those that committed suicide and most of my examples were gay teens. I also did a project on Civil Unions and Gay Marriage. So all in all, I do my best to NOT be one of those teens that you are talking about and I help others to understand us just a little more.

5. Ohhai

No, you just get idiots in all walks of life.

6. Aussir

Teens nowadays don't respect anything or anyone (with the due exceptions; I'm aware not all teens are like that). I don't see what's so surprising about this. They're just doing what they do best... being piles of a smelly substance...

7. ThinWhiteDuke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 16 and would like to think I'm pretty up to date on the history but maybe you guys would stick me under that banner? I'm Canadian and have had marriage equality pretty much since I can remember, my mother goes to gay pride events with her friend as support all the time and as such...not really a big deal for me.

I'm just not interested in the community as a whole I mean I don't have problems with it but I'm more interested in pursuing my own hobbies and interests.

Thoughts?

8. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think people need to stop generalising.

9. SplitMyWishbone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    alas, I find the same but I think myself of Stonewall and that generation which is not so removed from mine and yet I'm greatful for what they did and really DO know that history -- hell we created PRIDE (parade, day, etc) because of it. But I don't know what it was like. This generation and future will not understand what ACT UP and SF AIDS, and Gay Mens Health Alliance of New York and all the other programs that have got our brothers and sisters with HIV living so much longer now than the 6 months to 2 years that were given in the beginning.

I was able to move to SF and into gay bars without (too much) fear of being arrested; I didn't think much of Stonewall but it is because of them. So the future generation starting with the one after us with 20 years will do the same, it is and will be history.

We are dealing with retirement, aging, ailing with/without caregivers and a community of like aged/minded men/women because our brothers and sisters were wiped out by that damn plague. Now I live in a remote public housing an hour away from hate mongering Fred Phelps Westboro Baptist, Kansas. It's as if I'm back in the closet again with nobody around. But that is for another forum.

Disrespect, yes, when they know they are around lgbt elders-they could show some respect and appreciation but in the long run, when they get our (I mean 'my' age), they will think the same of the next generation.

10. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course not, don't stereotype! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think today's generation of youth are very much different than any other; each generation seems to get looked down upon by those above them, in some way.

I'm reminded of this quote by Socrates:

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

12. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    this whole post is bullshit

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The question shouldn't be of gratitude. What we have now is what we should always have had. The attitude of being grateful ends up with "thank your heterosexual overlords that you're no longer being burned at the stake"

Yes, the past generations have had it harder, and I am extremely grateful for what's been done. The real enemy is the straight white man telling us to be grateful to him for his kindness in giving us rights, then complaining we want too much.

Yes, we should all be grateful, but taking privilege for granted is what straight people have always done. A handful of gay people who enjoy life without putting much thought into sexuality is fine. It's what we've been aiming for; the ability to not have to over-think your sexuality.

14. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I guess my experiences as the first, and only open transman in my highschool of 1100+ students, was something that never existed! I obviously have no clue whatsoever!

I've been shoved and beaten plenty of times. I've been afraid, and I've lived in fear. I lost nearly all support I had prior to coming out, and if you dare disregard what I had the displeasure of experiencing as, and regard me as 'unappreciative' or 'clueless,' I really have no idea what to say to you, other than this is complete shit.

Trust me, I'm aware of privileges, I'm aware of the rights I do and don't have, and I've done plenty of reading and researching of previous LGBT, specifically T*, people, whom have risked everything they had to stand up for themselves, and better the generations after. Rivera Silvera is one, one I specifically admire for personal reasons, and I've watched plenty of documentaries and articles regarding her, up to the point where she was fighting for me and other trans folk on her deathbed. She's partially the reason why I'm going into activism.

I'm definitely aware. As a mixed race, non-binary trans person, whom is not straight, I'm definitely, definitely aware of privileges and the fear I have around straight, white, cisgender men. I don't take my safety for granted. I've learned plenty from my experiences, and I'm using them to better myself and the community of which I'm included. There's plenty more like me as well, and to generalise all LGBT* youth as 'ungrateful' and unaware, is so annoyingly obtuse.

15. MichaelB

I would say it isn't the norm, no. Ultimately there's always going to be ignorant people in every division of society, why should LGBT be any different?

I have a black friend who didn't know who Martin Luther King was. It doesn't mean all young black people are ignorant of civil right movements. /shrug.

I'd also bet that a lot of young women know next to nothing about the suffragettes movement. It doesn't automatically cancel out all the other young women who do bother to learn how their equality came about.

Swings and round abouts rly.

16. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wise words! And proving that there are plenty of teenagers who do have a clue. :slight_smile:

17. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

What. The.:***:.

Throw...throw a book at them.

Seriously. (not seriously)( think of the potential paper cuts)

I love Ellen.

And Rachel Maddow too.

18. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As others have said, although the fight's not over, things are getting better, and as things start to get better, we're going to get more LGBT individuals who don't feel that society is working against them. So in their eyes, all this activity regarding making society more gay-friendly is just excessive and unnecessary, and they're probably annoyed by the fact that everyone around them expects them to partake in improving society because of their sexuality. I'm not trying to justify their behavior, I'm just saying what I think is going through their minds.