1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I come out to a teacher?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hellokittyhero, Oct 16, 2013.

1. hellokittyhero

I have a teacher who I am really close too, she is my theater teacher and is always there for her theater kids. We call her mama, I know that teachers have to tell certain things to the counselor or report things to a students parents but if I told her about my sexuality and talked to her about it, would she have to say anything to my parents? Thanks you guys!

2. mvjp

certainly in the uk as your sexuality is not damaging to your health (and assuming it doesnt affect your studies) i see no reason why she would have to tell anyone i know that personally i have told teachers probably far more worrying things in the past and they have been dealt with without getting parents involved so id say that if thats the person you feel most comfortable telling and you feel you are ready to do so go for it

3. AmiBee

I'm a teacher in the US. No, we would not need to report anything about a disclosure of a sexuality. But, if you said that you were having sex with an adult or sending or posting inappropriate pics of yourself, yes a teacher would need to to report it. As long as nothing inappropriate or illegal like that is going on, teachers do not need to share the info. Good luck and best wishes with everything.

4. hellokittyhero

Thanks to the both of you! I hate holding this in, who I am shouldn't have to be a secret and I feel like talking to her about this will make everything easier for me! thanks again you guys!

5. mvjp

my head was pretty mashed til i started coming out i know its a cliche but it gets better

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, the only things that teacher's disclose if it's something that is physically harmful to you or others or something that NEEDS to be disclosed. IMO, teachers are the best people to disclose information to as there is some student-teacher confidentiality when it comes to stuff that is not previously described in the first sentence.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since I'm from Missouri I think I could be of help here (Welcome to the site by the way, my fellow Missourian :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I know that for a lot of teenagers, teachers are one of the best types of people to confide to, and can be of some help. They usually offer great advice, and I see absolutely no problem coming out to your teacher. Also, I know that in the US it is illegal for teachers to tell other teachers, counselors, parents, etc. about a students sexuality (a.k.a outing them) without that student's permission. Your secret would definitely be safe with her until you were ready to tell others. :slight_smile:

I wish you nothing but the best of luck. :grin:

8. Kenny207

Hey there! Let me just tell you about my story first. The first person I came out to was my teacher. She was a very special lady. She gave me my passion of acting, so you can guess how much she had affected my life. My teacher was very accepting and she gave me very nice advices. She told me this. "Kenneth, you need to understand that in life, no matter what you do, you can never please everyone. So make the choice that matters to you, and those who matters will stay and those who don't will leave. I'm defintely staying. "

So yes, I think you should. Teachers keep these stuff really conifdential unless you become seriously mentally illed/depressed to the point of suicide. Most teachers are pretty open minded so they give really good advices. Go for it!