How to come out at church?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WanderingGhost, Oct 15, 2013.

1. WanderingGhost

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So my gay friend has been doing an awesome job at coming out of the closet and he came out to the entire class yesterday during a presentation. He's told almost everyone that needs to know except for the members of his church (Baptist). Apparently they're really close there so I guess he feels like they need to know. But he wants to do it in an incredibly fabulous and awesome way. Any ideas?

2. June Cleaver

DON'T I am born and bread Southern Baptist and some things don't need to be known by everyone. If he comes out there they will 24/7 try to fix him and when he does not change, he will be more than likely asked to leave his church. Your sexuality is your business and if close friends know, well that is good so they are ready to accept your BF when one is had. Family goes without saying.... June

3. biggayguy

There is a denomination specifically called American Baptist. As far as I know, they are the only Baptist denomination that welcomes gay people without judging. Your friend will likely get the left boot of fellowship after coming out in most Baptist churches.

Wearing a rainbow sash would be one way to come out. Many gay Catholics do this when they receive communion. Some priest will serve them and some will not.

#3 biggayguy, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  4. LILuke

Just my personal opinion, I don't think they really need to know about either of your sexualities. It's only going to cause problems. :/

5. biT3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :bang: You must forever give up the idea/ desire to find acceptance with any group. period.
    Groups are/ have been/ will be...and "everlastingly"....... Uniform to their own self image/ head trip.
    You seek unity, where only uniformity can exist. Give it up..... who needs acceptance by a pack of morons?
    c'mon, God may indeed Love you; but the church that bears His name....well..think!

6. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would only tell people you are close with. Like your friends and immediate family members. If this is driven by a desire to be accepted by the public, then I'm afraid it is going to be difficult. Most people still do not accept homosexuality. Also be careful because many people still react violently to homosexuals.

7. Werbinich

Whom one likes is one's own business. No one else's. However, people, the church included, like to pry and judge only by prejudices and stereotypes.

Be careful!