1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on National Coming Out Day

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geek, Oct 11, 2013.

?

What do you think about national coming out day

1. I came out on a coming out day

5.0%
  2. I plan to come out on a coming out day

12.0%
  3. I came out on 2013's coming out day

13.0%
  4. It's okay

59.0%
  5. Dumb Idea

11.0%
  1. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I just thought I'd see what people's thoughts were on national coming out day. My questions to you you are.

1. Do you think having a national coming out day is a good thing or bad thing.
    2. If you're out of the closet, did you come out on national coming out day? If you're in are you planning on coming out either today or some other year?

Personally I think it's a good way to pressure people to try and get people to come out but in a sense I feel like it's kind of pointless.

2. js28

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think it's a bad idea. It might help to encourage some people to come out and perhaps it makes the whole process seem a little less mysterious and clandestine.

But I don't think I'd chose to come out on National Coming Out Day. I'd do it whenever I felt most comfortable.

3. lovely lesbian

I don't think it's a bad thing but I think you should come out when you feel it's the right time.

4. Fiddledeedee

I definitely agree that you should come out only when you want to and you feel ready to. I think the use of Coming Out Day is that if you have reached this stage but can't find a good time to tell anyone, or you need a courage boost and the knowledge that you are not alone, then it provides an opportunity. It can also serve to get people talking about LGBT issues and coming out even if they are straight.

Last year, I posted an announcement on Facebook that day, in order to come out to my church friends. It worked pretty well, though I don't know how many of them saw it. At the same time, completely independently of me (and I of her), my sister posted a brief status saying she was trans*. It looks like it went well for her too. I think that most of her Facebook friends already knew and it was just confirmation.

5. Space

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I sent my dad an email coming out to him today. I have not heard back yet but fingers crossed. Having a day dedicated to coming out helped me I think. It was good to have a deadline even if it was arbitrary.

6. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm planning to do it today on facebook (my dad, some of his family, my sister and some of my mom's family are on fb) but tell or text my sister first, and then tell/text my mom after.

I'm gonna vote on the poll later, if I do it I'll vote that I came out on 2013's NCOD, if I don't, I'll vote that I plan to do it on a coming out day.

7. WiliamRoberts

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It feels like a deadline, which I'm not very comfortable with. The day went over my head mostly.

8. MaybeJory

I think it's empowering even if you don't come out today. I believe in energy and we are all connected. I woke up this morning completely proud of being a lesbian and considering coming out to the world. It's not the right time, but I just felt the pull to do it.

I had no idea it was National Coming Out Day. I picked up on the energy flowing through the universe. That positive energy of so many people being okay with themselves is powerful.

9. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Interesting. Did you know that she was transgender before? I wonder how common it is for someone to be bisexual and have a LGBT sibling. Glad to hear things went well with you.

Hope things go well with you. I'm not sure what that means if you never get a response. I agree it's nice to have a deadline. My goal is to figure out my sexuality completely and be ready to out myself next year.

10. Fiddledeedee

Geek: I suspected it, which means it wasn't a surprise, but I accepted her as a cis guy until she let me know. I too wonder how common two or more LGBT siblings are.

Anyway. I had a friend come out to me as bi today, which may be because of the day although she didn't mention it. It went well. She was among the first people I came out to.

11. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Dang. Talk about NCOD being super connected to your life.

12. DesertTortoise

I like the idea of it, if it's not about coming out on that day, but a celebration of whatever day that was for you--a celebration, that being queer is not a curse, but a gift! Giving us a different window and vision of the world... if only we choose to open it together.

---------- Post added 11th Oct 2013 at 12:50 PM ----------

Ann Coulter.. disown your son day? Hmm, does she have children? Why not? What IS her sex life, anyway... since she's so preoccupied with everyone elses. Tell us Ann... who do you love in secret?

13. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a good idea. I get that it makes some people feel pressured, but you're really just putting that on yourselves. If you don't want to use it, there'll be another one next year. I think it's a great way of giving us a talking point to get the coming out conversation started, and I like the idea that loads of people will be coming out on the same day, like we're supporting each other - it made me feel more confident somehow. I've seen some stuff saying it's today and some tomorrow - well, I came out to some people yesterday, some today, and I have another plan for tomorrow, so whatever day it is, I've got it covered lol.

14. Siarad

I hate seeing all the stuff on my Facebook news feed about National Coming Out Day and wishing it was the right time for me to fully come out.

I did come out to my pet rabbit for what's worth but I think he already kind of knew!

15. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Interesting because i've never seen anything on my facebook about that. Maybe because a lot of people that are LGBT in my area are out because we have the I don't give a crap attitude.

That reminds me, I'm though I should let everyone know on emptyclosets that i'm Bisexual. Peww I fell better not being in the closet. xD. On a related note, my friends are the kind of people who check my about section. Now out to 20 people. 5 of which are gay or bi and the rest are really close friends who I know won't care. It's weird like it's almost easier to be out to someone you don't know compared to your best friend even if you know they're supportive. I almost feel embarrassed when people i'm outted to online say "you're bi" and I don't know why I feel like denying it like it's some kind of bad thing even though it's not.

It'd be interesting to see some celebrities come out today. (Maybe 1D?) I think next year i'll just update my bio to include more people knowing. No need to make a dramatic facebook post. It's not like if someone asks me if i'm gay or bi i'm going to tell them that i'm not.

16. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel as though it is less of a day to come out than just a day to celebrate coming out. It is really hard to do, and deserves some praise.

17. biggayguy

I think it's a good way to get people to think about coming out. It probably gives motivation for people to plan coming out. However, you should come out when you're ready. Whenever you get sick of being in fear of being outed you should come out. I can't think of anything that will make you feel more free.

18. biggayguy

I've been trying not to think about this but I need to come out to my dad as gay. I already came out to him as bi' but that was when I was engaged to a bi' woman. Now that I'm sure about being gay it seems like I should be honest with him. Should I be concerned about his age when telling him something like this? He is seventy-two.

19. Saint Otaku

Just about all week leading up to Coming Out Day I had been thinking, "Gonna do this, gonna do this!" And so I did it.

I sent the following crappy, on-the-spot poem to my friend, telling her it was a puzzle:

Ill thought and ill despised
    Aurorous light stretches through sky --
    Many musical colors proclaim:
    "Grim has been my lonely soul
    Amidst monotony,
    Yet on this day my soul say strange truth to set me free!"

I am waiting for a reply, and I hope my cowardly move isn't too complicated ^.^

20. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to a select few people last year as gay on NCOD. This year, I wrote that I was transgender in a status. It was already pretty obvious, since I had changed my name on pronouns. I had just never said it in clear terms on facebook. So, I use NCOD as more of a motivation than anything. If I have something to come out about, then I will, but if not, then I won't.