1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you react when you realized you were gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wiiluigi1998, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Lerenmika

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was relieved. I'd been out as bi for a while and had a girlfriend before realizing that I exclusively liked women. This explained so much about my previous dating history, and why it had been so unsatisfying. I was so happy to realize I wasn't consigned to a life of unfulfilling relationships!

2. applepie

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well there were a LOT of red flags that went over my head, but
    I finally realized it after waking up from a dream...
    I didn't say anything to anyone all day, just sat there, paralyzed with fear. then, when someone finally asked me what was wrong I burst into tears. I was very confused and upset for a months.

3. I remember the first time I realised I liked someone, I was super nonchalant about it, which is incredibly strange considering my parents religious stance. I think I had the denial thickly spread on me though.

Then like a month later, after spending most of my time watching LGBT advice videos on Youtube, it kinda hit me:
    "Well fuck, I like girls..."
    Yeah, it wasn't good after that either.

4. ItalianBlueEyes

I was so relieved.

Suddenly, my love of Victoria's Secret ads made sense.

5. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was honestly confused at first, because I thought boys just liked girls and that was the way it supposed to be. The confusion shortly ended when I found out what "Gay" meant and how my religion doesn't agree with it at the same time at church during the preacher sermon. I then proceeded to deny and repress my feelings until I was 18 when I started confronting them. It then took me around 5 years to figure it all out and who I really was.

6. swimmertriangle

There was never an exact "moment" when I realized it, but I didn't fully grasp the concept until I was 12 or 13.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose I always knew, but I finally acknowledged it on a long car drive on the third of March 2012. It wasn't a big reaction. I just crossed my legs and shut my eyes.

8. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

That's pretty much how it was for me as well;

9. Maryam

i cried...alot and prayed...alot. i would look up quizzes online to try and figure it out. I tried to convince myself i liked guys. It was really difficult for a long time

10. Belle

I cried and cried and cried. I disliked myself for not being 'normal'.
    I would go online and take quizzes, but they didn't work for me because I kept trying to get results that said I was straight. After trying to convince myself that I was straight, I realized I was forcing myself to do things I did not like. Eventually I accepted that I was not going to change, and that I really did not want to change. This is who I am; it is another piece of me that completes me as a whole.

11. Chrissanth

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I remember I was about 12 years old, and had a friend, she was 14. One day we were talking about something and i told her that i feel strangely attracted to girls, but i haven't thought of being gay or something, i thought it was just normal, but then she grabbed my shoulders and said "You're a lesbian". Haha, it seemed funny to me, i started laughing and told her that it's definitely not true, but she stayed calm and serious. I remember thinking of it all the evening and night (just after our talk), and after some months i finally realized that it's truth. First i wasn't serious about this thing, i thought it was just because of the starting adolescence, but later i jumped into a depression because "I wasn't normal". It was really hard for me to accept myself for who I am, but now everything's alright and i feel happy ^^ (oh, and that girl who told me i was lesbian, she later became my first girlfriend, and helped me fight my depression ^^)

12. biggayguy

Deny, deny, deny, most of my life. Even when I accepted being bisexual it was still a form of denial. I'm finally okay with being gay. How did I feel? It was a big relief to quit pretending. I felt much more at peace with myself.

#72 biggayguy, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  13. Amerigo

14. MaybeJory

I had been in denial for at least 17 years. Then there was this moment when the dam broke. I was all "I am SOOOO gay." I freaked out, called my therapist and he was excited about my break though. He said "I know it's hard but it's a happy day." I said "The fuck it is!"

After that I looked back at my life from this point of view and it's really embarrassing how long it took me to come to this point. Because, really, I'm *so* gay. :icon_wink

15. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I kinda eased into the idea but at each step was a progressively worse freak out :/ i did the quizzes and denied it for a while...I put myself in a pretty bad place. Then one day I said, "well fuck..."

16. arcchi

I got really depressed in the beggining... My family is truly homophobic, and i kind like girls since I was 9, but i had a lot of problem to accept it cuz of my family's orientation. I'm still unprepared to talk about it with them, but now i accept myself, then i'm better now.

17. AsIUsedToBe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went.. Oh I like penis.. Okay :slight_smile:

18. TheStrongestLink

Did you press the Staple's "Easy" button soon after that?

19. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

Cried a little bit. Then told myself that I'm beyond stupid for getting upset over something like that, and I accepted it.

20. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, since in my family there was a choice to come home with a boyfriend or girlfriend, it wasn´t weird to realize that would be a boyfriend.
    However, I did learn that not everybody is cool with gays and I did keep it within the family up to recently.
    But since it didn´t change anything for me in my personal life, it has never been a big deal. Not even a small one. LOL.