1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RATE THIS MATERIAL: I have lost all faith in the American choice of music

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AwesomGaytheist, Oct 6, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I do stand-up, one of the main things I make fun of is pop music, and last night, I lost all faith in American music.

One song came on the radio where it describes all of the sounds that each animal makes. "Dog goes woof, cat goes meow/bird goes tweet, and mouse goes squeak."

You don't think I didn't fucking know this shit already? I didn't sleep through fucking preschool! So as I'm getting a remedial lesson in animal noises, the song then hits the chorus and I damn near change the station.

"What does the fox say?
    Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
    Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
    Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
    What the fox say?"

And then they show that they really didn't have a good filler for the song because the song then talks about a fucking fox talking to a fucking horse in fucking Morse code. And the video shows a fox typing on a telegraph.

So this morning I get up and I figure I'll google the song because hey, I might need to make fun of it. And then I see that it's #8 on the charts. WHAT!?!?! Why the fuck does anybody like this shit?

Then I watch the music video. The video should have a big caption in it that says, "DON'T EAT THOSE MUSHROOMS." Maybe during the chorus with the white stain on his lip in his little fox costume it should say, "GOT MILK?" And then they've got Santa Claus dressed in some button down shirt making saying all the same gibberish to a child while reading out of a book.

"I know you're hiding in the woods. What is your sound? Will always be a mystery, what do you say?"

And then he says a fox is his "guardian angel." Man are these guys smoking something or what? Put down the crack pipe guys.

Wikipedia says the song is being compared to "Gangnam Style." Because the two are equally bad? I never got why so many people liked that song. Nobody knows what the fuck it means. A song in Korean being blasted over the airwaves in America and everybody loves it when they have no idea what they're saying.

I have officially lost all hope in Americans' taste in music. (takes bow)

2. Ticklish Fish

I thought the fox song is a parody of American music, and the artist is from Europe actually?

Or was it satire again?

and I remember reading somewhere that Gangnam Style actually comments on the life/face-pretending culture in one korean city whose name I forget

3. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seoul: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangnam_District

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Whatever, the rest of us will be over here laughing along with the song/video and enjoying ourselves.

A little thing called "Not taking everything so seriously," with a dash of "Not taking everything at face value."

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This isn't serious, it's my humor. :slight_smile:

6. Miss Loopy

I'm sorry, but I fricking love that song, because it's taking the mick out of American music? It's just like a catchy beat with rubbish lyrics, which is pretty much the entirety of their taste!

7. Ticklish Fish

actually, the fox has the cleanest music I know. No drugs, no sex, no drinking, no partying, just animals.

8. DarkAthena

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wait, wait.......wait. Please. Pleeeeeaaaase. I don't know what happened to good taste in music. I was riding up to Walmart with my brother last month when he told me about the same song and my initial thought was, "Why do I feel like I'm about to waste a chunk of my life?" And it turns out that I did. The song literally has no meaning. And I feel sorry for the thousands, maybe millions of people here in the states who are slowly killing their neurons listening to that junk.

9. BudderMC

Guys. It was a song made by comedians. I severely doubt it was intended to be a legitimate piece of art, so don't judge it on those criteria.

10. Projectfabulous

Gangnam Style wasn't bad, it was just way overrated and over played and became annoying. (I'm a fan of Psy so). Otherwise, I thought it was funny!:slight_smile:

11. LiquidSwords

Yeah, this. Don't really like the song but it's pretty obvious it's not supposed to be taken seriously.

I don't think modern taste in music (as if it's something you could judge objectively anyway) is any worse than at any other point since the birth of popular music. There's always been a lot of shitty music in the charts just that history filters out the bad stuff.

Saying that, most top 40 stuff doesn't offend me at all I've always got time for Rihanna or Kesha or whatever.

12. Night

Night Guest

It was a purposeful joke, as stated.

But overall I still don't think your piece was very humorous.

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I agree, throw that one in the trash. I didn't really feel it writing that. Sometimes you hit a home run, sometimes you hit a foul ball, and sometimes you strike out. Fouled away, 0-1.

14. Ticklish Fish

which post you're agreeing with? XD

but one man's trash is another treasure? idk

15. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

Personally I let Pop Music Slide, there are worse things to worry about; Norwegian Death Metal and ICP to top the list. Though, What's the Fox Say is more of a parody that anything can become a hit; if enough people buy into it. Such as Gangnam Style, which was a catchy tune; that was liked because 95% of the people didn't know exactly what it was about which is 100% of the non-American Music that somehow leaks its way into America's Ears. Basically, we like strange things that make us ask "What are they actually saying"; in which the people who made it are laughing themselves to the bank.

16. Foxface

You know...I am will be honest...forgetting this parody and talking about typical music choices. I think 'artists' like Bieber and One Direction are total crap-filled vending machine music where you put your quarter in and a song that sounds like every other piece of crap pops out and BAM...million of dollars. The same thing with so-called rap music which seems to fit into two categories: songs about objectifying women and songs talking about why this particular rapper is better than everyone else despite the fact that this is literally their first hit song

Now with all that said...

I am more than understanding of the fact that my childhood music, the glamorous pop tunes of the 1980's was looked at exactly the same as I see these now. Those who had their childhood in the 70's and 60's and so forth looked at my pop music and power ballads as the same cookie cutter crap and said the same thing "my music was real"

So yeah...this same argument spins around every decade

Foxface

17. LILuke

My reaction to most "music" these days is "KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!"

18. Formality

I don't want to start a war here. But isn't it very ignorant to reject any music that isn't in english. There are other countries than America in the world. A fifth of the world population speaks mandarin (chinese), that does make america look kinda small. (and yes I know the song (gangnam style)is in korean, I was just making a comparison).

Also 'The Fox' was not made with the intention to make it big in the music industry. Neither do I think anyone actually think the lyrics are very "good". The beat isn't that bad which is probably why people stay for the chorus. The song is not my cup of tea, the irony however makes me lol.

#18 Formality, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  19. Pearcheese

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    'The Fox' Is Here! - YouTube

It's a song by norwegian variety show hosts that went viral. Check the clip fron the ellen degeneres show above if you want more info. Imho, it's still really funny.

When it comes to the american charts, I'm not a big fan. Most of the songs recently seem to be pop or hiphop with a dance tune to back it. I don't mean to sound snobby but it sounds like the UK top 40 in 2002.

New Zealand has a couple of awesome artists recently though. Lorde and Kimbra sound great.

#19 Pearcheese, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  20. Moodlighter

Moodlighter Guest

What I don't get is.....I have heard foxes frequently throughout my life, always at night time, right outside my window, screaming, keeping me awake because I know exactly what noise it makes and it's horrible...I used to think it was a woman being raped.