1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would You Date a Gun Owner?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by andrew812, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guns make me extremely uncomfortable but who knows? I own swords I guess...

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Yes if I knew them well and trusted them and they've proved to be responsible gun owners.
    Where I live it's pretty common, I mean not for people my age but a lot of households do just because there are a lot of hunters around here, so I guess I'm used to it. Especially since my dad's an avid hunter and owns many guns (he keeps them locked away safely and is very responsible with them.) I think it also helps to be comfortable with and understand how guns work. I've shot some handguns before under instruction and it was pretty fun. I think that made me feel more comfortable, just knowing how to be safe around guns myself.

#182 bubbles123, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  3. guitar

I am pro-gun ownership and have served as references for several of my friends to obtain firearms in Canada. With that said, I do not like using guns personally and wouldn't own/use one myself, unless I were being shot at. But I'd be fine dating a gun owner, provided they're mentally stable, and most gun owners I know are. If that's their hobby, cool. Just not for me. They can go shooting, I'll rock out to some Slayer. :slight_smile:

4. Lipstick Leuger

Yes. But if they were some cra cra NRA activist, I would kick her to the curb.

5. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As a vegan animal-activist crazy person who values his rats over his friends, I'd never date a hunter. Ever. I would never even be friends with a hunter, and while I know that sounds harsh, understand that to me hunting is murder.

I would never date a gun owner in general. There are WAY too many shootings, and frankly I'm already terrified of someday being on the wrong end of a gun- I don't need one in my house.

---------- Post added 10th Oct 2015 at 06:28 PM ----------

Okay, I'm moving to Berlin.

#185 RavenTheRat, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  6. Psaurus918

A gun for home protection, sure. But only if it was used in a dire situation, I mean someone's only intent is to harm us. If someone wants to steal our car, let em. If someone broke in the front door with a weapon then yes shoot.

7. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends why they have the gun.

8. DeadheadPride

It really depends on the person. Guns do bother me with the side-effects of death and killing and all, but if the person seems stable and unlikely/unwilling to do that, then of course.

9. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a proud gun owner, and would probably not date someone who was vehemently anti-guns.

#189 Kodo, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  10. TheMopPetal2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bingo! Back when the second amendment was written, if you didn't hunt you didn't eat. They put the 2nd amendment in the constitution not for hunting necessarily but so that the people can defend themselves against an oppressive government weather it be a foreign government or our own government or a coup d'etat and also so that you can defend yourself against a mugger or a highway man.

11. AlamoCity

Yes, provided they weren't prone to violence or had any issues that would question their competency with firearms (not that I would even date someone who would make me feel unsafe, regardless of whether they owned a firearm (or sword, or whatnot)).

I feel that gun ownership is a right, but not an unfettered right. Same as speech or anything else. I do feel that some/many gun owners or activists feel at some primal level that firearm ownership equates masculinity/maleness, power, and use it as a substitute for their insecurities.

Now, the one thing that does piss me off are those who put Browning stickers on the back of their trucks. Worst still, those who bastardize it and put this monstrosity :lol:.

[​IMG]

Worst still, those who have such a sticker and don't have a fuckin' clue what Browning is.

I swear if I ever get married I'll put this sticker on the back of my truck (minus the Confederate flag, though, on second thought :lol:slight_smile:, just to piss people off.

[​IMG]

#191 AlamoCity, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  12. Van

Van

Most likely no. I mean... no. Just no.

13. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm extremely timid and paranoid, and I'm terrified unarmed people are going to kill me, well, because they still have their fists. So no.

Heck, somebody could be a brain in a jar and I'd still think they could kill me. The fact that someone really could makes it much worse.

14. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  15. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dated a police officer for a while back in the day, but short of something like that I doubt it. It's not so much that it is an automatic veto as that it seems unlikely to me that someone that I would otherwise date would be a gun owner.

16. Beebop

Beebop Guest

I wouldn't care about anyone's gun collection or lack thereof. People who own guns shouldn't automatically be labeled as dangerous, mentally unstable, or otherwise undesirable. A lot of gun owners like to shoot for sport.
    I've encountered people who collect knives, swords, Chinese stars--none of whom I considered even remotely normal. I wouldn't have considered them as dateable for a number of reasons, the least of which was their fascination with sharp objects that can kill.
    There are people who collect and hold conventions for My Little Pony, an inanimate object not considered dangerous in the slightest. I wouldn't consider them as dateable for a number of reasons, the least of which was their fascination with an old pony-like doll from the 80's.

17. Ryu

Ryu

In America it's statistically hard not to, so yes, so long as it isn't an illegal weapon. In England, it's practically impossible to get a gun license, so yes as they must have an actual reason for having it (most common ones being sport and farming), but as before, only of the weapon is legal.

18. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If the person is nice and psychologically stable, yes. Their political opinions might also pose an obstacle though.

19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really? Do that many Americans own guns? That's a scary thought! O.O

20. Lipstick Leuger

To be honest, I DID date a gun owner. She was in the Army and would come home from weekend training still wearing her guns in her harness under her clothing. Man, I would always 'welcome' her and even convinced her to wear them a few times during. She would make sure they were unloaded and locked before we did anything, but man, what a turn on!

What can I say? I'm a bad bad girl......lol