1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would You Date a Gun Owner?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by andrew812, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

Columbine, Virginia Tech, Colorado, Sandy Hook, need I go any farther? You are basically using the defense of "Good Guys With Guns could have saved everybody", which with the statistic of Gun Responsibility and Gun Owners that actually know how to use a firearm; is a myth to make yourself feel safe. It's a cultural problem, people Jump The Gun a lot; Guns are not for Protection. Baseball Bats are for Protection, since they have multiple different uses and will not instantly kill; Guns have one purpose to send lethal projectiles at fatal speeds to puncture whatever they are aimed at to Kill. But, as you said; there is no arguing with the Dead.

2. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

The main problem with mass shootings is the lack of mental health care. A lot of criminals do not attack houses with armed homeowners out of fear of getting shot. Sort of like the saying goes "An armed society is a polite society".

3. Aquilo

Now you've put a picture in my head of a country where everyone carries a baseball bat. Only introduce mandatory leopard pattern clothing and the neo-Neolithic picture is complete :slight_smile:

4. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

Never said it wasn't, it can be both; a Culture built on Guns issue and a Mental Health issue. But people who go on the defense of "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, are simple deluding themselves to ignore the problem at hand; sorta like the Media whenever a shooter is wearing a Marilyn Manson T-Shirt. Instead of a Gun Issue, it becomes a "The Goths Did It" issue; typical scapegoating of society.

5. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

The problem is that every time a politician tries to pass reasonable gun control laws, the right wingers go in to attack mode. In my state I can legally buy any gun I want from a private sale without a background check. I have bought half of my guns this way, but honestly I think that has to change. Mental healthcare, economic, addiction to drugs, are all some of the reasons we have a problem with gun violence. We need to fix those problems and pass reasonable gun control. The gun nuts that think the NRA has their best interest in mind can't see that the NRA is just in it to make money for the gun manufacturers.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a really good point. Wayne LaPierre, the President of the NRA at the time of the Sandy Hook shooting, called on Congress to place armed police officers in every school in America. Well for one, only 1 out of 8 bullets actually hits its target. Where do the other 7 go? And saying more guns is going to stop violence is like saying the only way to quit smoking is to smoke more cigarettes.

7. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

Speaking of the NRA isn't funny how every Mass Shooting that Occurs The NRA "Accidentally" already had a meeting planned in that area to "Protect "American Traditions"" and what not... Suspicious.

8. June Cleaver

Truly I don't expect you to understand being you have been brought up in a different country where things are completely different than here. First off you are still a minor and are protected by your parents and have unlikely been attacked with intent to kill or raped. I on the other hand am a 41 year old trans-woman who has experienced both. The first experience at 20 years old is what made me realize I needed one and the second event happened at 36 years old in my own living room answering the door to a police officer and my gun was locked away safely as I was taught to do, where it did not help me not that I had more than five seconds once the door was cracked. At 15 I had no need for a gun either nor did I want one or even understand what violence is out there in this world as I was safe in my parents mansion under lock and key or at school.

I do think there should be safeguards in place where all owners should have to go through psychological screening, and take classes on how to use it safely and accurately.

I hope none of you out there who think you are indestructible or should use things like baseball bats to defend yourself, never find out how easy a grown man can overpower you and hurt or kill you without the use of any weapon. Until it happens to you, you won't believe it can happen. It is just that simple! June

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On the surface I agree that the NRA is often off-base in saying everybody needs more guns. But in the instance that somebody brings a pressure-cooker bomb or crossbow into a densely-packed area of campus and not enough people resist, you could still get quite the number of deaths. Maybe not as many as with an AR-15, but the point the right-wing will hang onto for dear life is that the people who have to face him are now hamstrung in how they can fight back. It's the idea of giving up independence and hoping you're safe that they can't stomach. Not that having everyone strutting around with a gun is really a better option if one or more choose to go GTA-mode, but I like the philosophy that an armed populace are independent citizens; disarmed they are subjects, at the mercy of the government (mostly paranoia) and common thugs (realistic).

And as for NRA meetings on the sites of school shootings, I haven't heard about that. But they're usually not the ones I think of to capitalize on tragedy.

#129 Argentwing, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And all that will happen to you even with a gun. Guns aren't an automatic escape from danger. Violence will often occur well before you're able to draw a weapon. But those who wish to attack you also will have the freedom to weapons, and the attacker has the massive benefit of knowing when the attack will occur, whereas you won't.

11. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Exactly. The point is, if someone wants to attack you, that person is ready. You are not. And the person is not going to wait until you get your gun.

Also, who do you think an attacker will shoot first: an armed person or an unarmed person? And who is the attacker going to want dead?

The shooter might not even be in sight. They can shoot you from a distance. From any angle.

A gun doesn´t protect. It might give the owner a feeling of security, but that is not the same.

#131 Boyfriend, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  12. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

You might want to research the amount of times Bombs & Cross-Bows/Knives/Anything other then Guns have been used to kill massive amounts of people, it's a rather low list. Specially with the amount of people who can't even use Fireworks right without blowing their own fingers off...

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And common thugs armed to the teeth, too.

14. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

95% of these are all social driven issues, that could be solved before hand without the use of lethal firearms; also what about Tasers. Misfortune as these events are, there are other ways to defeat them without outright manslaughter.

15. ScatteredEarth

I plan on owning a gun eventually as well, so why should I mind? It's his choice. So long as he doesn't plan on killing me in my sleep.

16. Gallatin

Remember guys, the question that was asked was "Would You Date a Gun Owner?". Saying whether you would or wouldn't, and why, is fine. But try not to let it stray too far into an outright debate over whether guns and gun laws are good/bad/whatever.

17. blueberrymuffin

Guns in the house don't make me feel safer, especially given the possibility of domestic dispute. I would not date a gun owner, because if we moved in together, i wouldn't be able to tolerate that. Locking the door is quite enough safety for me from the outside world.

18. justjade

I would. I'm pretty OK with being in a house of a friend who owns a gun. I'd definitely date one. I've even thought about becoming one myself. I really don't see the problem with a responsible, level-headed person owning a gun, and I tend to stay away from people who aren't.

19. TheMopPetal2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a gun owner myself and I would totally date another fellow gun owner although owning a gun takes a lot of responsibility and not everyone is that responsible so although I am totally 100% pro 2nd amendment, there are some people out there who have no business even touching a gun. I keep my rifle locked up and out of sight with the ammo in a totally different place in the house at all times unless I'm getting ready to shoot it at a gun range or I'm cleaning it. I also grew up with a family that enjoys hunting so I'm pretty desensitized when it comes to guns.

20. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Too broad a question

I would date a prudent rural resident, trap shooting enthusiast or an Olympic biathlete

I would not date a paranoid anti-government survivalist nut, a gun enthusiast, or even a recreational hunter.