1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Lesbian Sex Real Sex?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DrkRayne, Oct 4, 2013.

1. DrkRayne

So I read this excerpt from a book and decided to post it here for others to give their opinions on.

The link to the original text can be found on Slate

Whats your opinion on what constitutes sex?

#1 DrkRayne, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2013
  2. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The passage was too long, so I didn't read it. But, from my opinion and from what I was taught in a number of my sexuality studies classes in college, sex is however you want to define it. It's subjective. Some people actually consider kissing sex, while others may only consider it sex if it's penile-vaginal sex. There's a whole spectrum of acts that can constitute as sex, and not everyone will agree on what is or is not technically a sexual act. Basically, it's up for personal interpretation.

Btw, I love your profile pic, DrkRayne. Go Rizzles!

3. If you are consensually touching anyone's genitals (including your own) to achieve pleasure, congratulations, you're having sex!

Any more specific definition will not only offend people (by denying that any sex they have is not 'real') it's also silly.

A lot of this debate, I find, is around what constitutes virginity and purity especially in women. Which is an awful, shaming, misogynistic concept that should be left in the past.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not gonna lie; I didn't read that tower of text. But I can say with certainty that lesbian sex is real enough to be respected as such. The problem of mostly incompatible equipment doesn't mean enjoying sexual stimulation with somebody else isn't real.

5. Of course it is. Some people only consider an intimate act to be sex if it involves penetration, but I generally find that most of those people feel inferior on some level and therefore feel the need to glorify the idea that they're comfortable doing penetrative stuff because that's one of the only things they have going for them. So, in my opinion, yes, lesbian sex is still sex :slight_smile:

6. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    what I always wonder when this comes up is why does it really matter? as long as I enjoy it I don't care whether or not it is considered sex

7. treeofleaves

according to google sex is Sexual contact between individuals involving penetration, esp. the insertion of a man's erect penis into a woman's vagina.

8. purplekitty

That was a really interesting article. Thanks for posting it, DrkRayne!

I think that lesbian sex is real sex. I agree with thedreamwatch, sex is consensual pleasure found by touching genitals. I find this "hierarchy" of sex to be outdated. I think it was created as an excuse to let someone still feel like a virgin if they didn't have penetrative sex. Then that person could feel like they still had value. Which is a twisted thing to make someone feel. People are valuable no matter what "level" of sex they've had.

9. BiPenguin

All sex is sex, right? :grin:

10. Aussir

that wall is tl,dr... :/

Like others said... as long as two (or more... depending on tastes) people are touching each other to achieve sexual pleasure, you're having sex.

11. pokerface87

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually read the whole post ha. Interesting and honestly I hadn't considered the reasons behind the question other than people being nosey or ignorant. I agree with it. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that question.

12. Hexagon

Anything involving more than one person with intent to create sexual pleasure.

13. yidnah87

To me, 'real sex' doesn't just consist of penile-vaginal intercourse. I also consider oral and mutual masturbation to be forms of sex. The goal of each of these acts is to sexually stimulate a partner.

For male-male couples, it is thought that anal sex is 'real sex' for them. Contrary to popular belief, there are many male-male couples that seldom or never have anal sex. This doesn't mean that they never have 'sex'. There are plenty of other ways that they can sexually express themselves (frot, oral, mutual masturbation).

While female-female couples can't physically penetrate one another (unless with a toy), they can have 'real sex' in the same ways male couples can listed above.

14. We have hands.

15. biggayguy

I gave my ex girlfriend multiple orgasms using just my fingers. I assume lesbians can do the same.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, lesbian sex is just a figment of your imagination.

17. Winter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Sex" is just a word humans made up and can have different definitions for different people. If heterosexuals want to define sex as "penis in vagina," then that's fine by me. To me, "penis in vagina" is just breeding, but that is not what I want to do. That is not my kind of sex.

18. Foxface

to me sex is intimacy and touching. penetration to me is penetration of the soul and heart. That is where sex becomes sex to me...when you combine that with sexual touch

Foxface

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, it's all in your head.

On a more serious note, I find it scary that a lot of people tend to think of two women having sex as not sex, but still consider male-on-female rape as sex. It's a really common mindset, and a lot of people have it subconsciously.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really says something about how profoundly misogynist society is when this is a serious question to get asked.