1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

celebrity crushes

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by HopeFloats, Sep 30, 2013.

1. HopeFloats

Since I have just fully accepted that I'm gay at age 38, I've been looking back and trying to remember my first feelings for women. I can remember thinking about my early high school friends sexually. And I remember experimenting with 2 girls when we were children. But I'm not sure if that was definitive.

Two older lesbians (50+) have mentioned crushed they had on movie or tv stars in the 70s. I've been trying to remember I felt that way about any actresses / characters. I'm drawing a blank. Again, I remember crushes and attraction to real people but not celebrities.

Do any of you later in lifers remember earlier celebrity crushes?

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't want to go there. Where do I start?

3. BiPenguin

Well, I use to find myself looking at the photos of Australian singer, James Reyne when I was a teenager.

4. HopeFloats

I spent a lot of time looking at Vogue and W.

5. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Lynda Carter (Wonder Woman)
    She's still gorgeous!

---------- Post added 30th Sep 2013 at 06:20 PM ----------

Kristy McNichol. Charlie's Angels.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, I'll bite. There were several. Here are a few:

Michael Ontkean (got better looking as he got older):
    http://es.web.img1.acsta.net/cx_160_213/b_1_d6d6d6/medias/nmedia/18/36/01/08/19132198.jpg

Jason Miller (known for "The Exorcist"):
    http://knoji.com/images/user/exorcistjasonmiller.gif

Peter Lupus ("Mission Impossible" - saw his Playgirl spread as an adult):
    http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4916450204583654&pid=15.1

George Lazenby (played James Bond one time only):
    http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7322/2593/1600/George%20Lazenby%2018.jpg

Mike Henry (saw him in a cameo role later on, but he was "Tarzan" here, which I never saw):
    http://pictures2.todocoleccion.net/tc/2009/11/04/15712897.jpg

Probably in this order, for this group. Is it any wonder a couple of my friends could say "Hey, I saw this guy, and I thought of you?" That meant they knew my type.

7. Iowan1976

Mario Lopez. I grew up with him on Save By The Bell. Always liked him. :slight_smile:

8. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Valerie Bertinelli on "One Day at a Time". Didn't even know what a crush was at the time. Phew. Also Ricardo Montalban...bit disparate from Valerie, but very suave and hot.

Now I watch Pirates of the Caribbean and fall head over heels for *both* Johnny Depp and Keira Knightly.

9. geode

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Rose27, I agree! especially Kate Jackson from Charlie's Angels.
    And Lindsay Wagner and Olivia Newton John.

HopeFloats, what a fun thread! Thanks for starting it.

10. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Damn. Well, you got me on the Johnny Depp thing (he displays just enough of his femme side for my needs, plus I love his ink!) but I'm about as attracted to Ricardo Montelban as I am Hervé Villechaize!

Nope, for me, WAY back when, it was probably either Lindsay Wagner or Dorothy Hamill.

Huh, first time I ever noticed that Dorothy Hamill and I share a birth day - although not year. May need to revisit that dating age range thread!

---------- Post added 1st Oct 2013 at 01:01 AM ----------

Wow. This must be a new low, quoting oneself!

But after posting, it occurred to me that my first EVER sexual encounter (and the next few to follow for quite a few years) was with a girl with a Hamill Camel. Never put the two together before tonight! Never actually gave conscious thought to my female ideals of those years before reading this thread.

Good post Hope!

11. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Just looked up Lynda Carter's age :62. Then I saw a newer pic of her wearing western outfit. Think my brain just melted. Definately not careing about how much older a woman is now....

---------- Post added 1st Oct 2013 at 03:43 AM ----------

Did you ever read your own post and say to yourself "I'm so GAY!"?
    "I'm so GAY!!!

12. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

:lol::eusa_clap:badgrin::roflmao::grin::icon_bigg::thumbsup:

13. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh please! Ricardo was strictly a pre-puberty crush! Valerie, too, for that matter, though she lasted a bit longer *smile* (gods, she was just so sweet and cute!).

Mr. Depp and Ms. Knightly are more recent fascinations. :lol:

Funny to note that I don't fantasize about LGBT celebrities...I think fantasizing about celebrities is all about what you definitely cannot have.

14. Femmeme

KD Lang and Tracy Chapman, they both entranced and TERRIFIED me.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As for Depp, I never understood that one, among women and men admirers, but that's just me.

True about "what you ... cannot have." However, when we see people IRL who approximate those looks or people who look like that type, we take notice. Thing is: you can't have them either - hetero, already coupled, out of league issues, etc. I've seen some people and wonder why they don't have a casting agent.

---------- Post added 1st Oct 2013 at 08:27 AM ----------

What terrified you? What terrified me is that I was then a young kid and mesmerized by these guys' good looks, sort of knowing it was forbidden fruit. Scratch the word fruit. LOL.

16. Femmeme

I understood that the things I felt when I looked at them weren't "normal" and that it meant something about me. Where (and I guess when) I was growing up a gay woman was about the lowest thing you could possibly be. Gay men were sort of given a pass as long as they were fashionable and funny, but gay women were just worthless scum.

17. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was crazy for Matthew Broderick, whether it was the nerdy version in WarGames or the cool Ferris Bueller. And seeing him kiss a guy in Torch Song Trilogy--daaayumm..... Once he moved into the more grown-up roles I lost interest, though.

I also remember having some crushes that really weren't. Like, I was convinced I had a thing for teenage Hayley Mills after seeing her play a damsel in distress type in an old Disney movie called "The Moon-Spinners"--but I realized years later that what I REALLY wanted was to BE her in the movie, with the cute male lead rescuing ME!

18. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Sure, I'll be it was all about the accent. I'm guessing you've got a thing for the Dos Equis guy too! :lol:

I run hot and cold on Keira. Keira in Love Actually? Definitely hot. In that cute little paper boy cap? Hot hot hot!

19. HopeFloats

I was obsessed with the CK One ad campaign in the early 1990s. It was like boom androgeny. I felt like those were my people and the women were so incredibly sexy. I didn't want to look like them, but I wanted to be with them.

I still can't really think of any actresses though. I did think the brunette on 90210 was really hot. Shannon Doherty. Now that character's look seems like the prototype for Jenny Schecter on the L Word. But by now, my tastes have changed.

I also was really into Alicia Silverstone in an Aerosmith music video.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting. So it sounds somewhat urban, for fashionable and funny to work. Growing up, it was a little different in my area. If the gay men were in the cool crowd and good looking, they got a pass. If the gay men were artsy, it was "well, you know, they're gay." It was much the same for lesbians, if identifiable, as in "well, you know, they're lesbians." But nobody was scum, because I don't remember any rabid homophobes in the city. At the most, some expressed some mild disapproval. In other areas, even cities, I could definitely see stronger homophobia.