Coming Out update/need more advice.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by deadmau5ftw, Sep 28, 2013.

1. deadmau5ftw

So, I just hung out with my best friend, and luckily we started talking about the gov., religion, and sexuality. I found out, he is really accepting of gay people! This was a really awesome feeling but I still didn't come out to him. I really want to come out but I am just scared. I have very few friends and I don't want to change our relationship. I don't want him to think I am attracted to him. (which i'm not since I love bears) Any advice?

My first family member I am going to tell is my mom. She is currently in Australia with my dad. I am going to come out to her on National Coming Out Day. Wish me luck:slight_smile:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! From what you have written in your post, it sounds like that you do have an accepting friend, and that if you do come out to him, it should not change your friendship with him. In many respects, coming out to someone, and being open about yourself with them, show how much you trust them. Coming out to your friend, will show just that.

When you come out to him, you could say "I wanted to let you know because I want to be able to be myself around you and not have the feeling of hiding anything." That should also help to address your fear that he might think you are attracted to him.

Good luck! It sounds like you are ready to be out to your friends and parents! :slight_smile:

3. Silver Sparrow

If it feels right, you can write a letter or set up a deadline. It can be a way to sort of get the nerves over with. If you text and call ahead and tell your friend you have something to say, it can help because it adds a little bit of pressure.
    Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

4. bscott92

So it's a scary thing, but having a friend, your best friend know, is a HUGE relief. I literally had seven drinks before I told my best friend, and his response was, "And?" I mean, I sweated it ALL day and had to get up a lot of liquid courage to get it out of my mouth. And then I had to ask myself why? It was the greatest feeling. Trust me, you will feel so much better if you tell him. Say something like, "I have something to tell you." Then your'e kind of stuck. He'll ask you what....and then you just tell him. Just blurt it out any way you can. You'll be happy you did.

5. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's really difficult isn't it? Your friend sounds really open-minded though, I think you should go for it. I did it by text the first time to make it easier for myself, but I've also told my best (female) friend in person and it felt fucking amazing to have her accepting reaction. Good luck :slight_smile: