1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you/have you travelled alone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JackAttack, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha. So true. And there are a lot of fellow travelers on trains, ferries, subways, etc. so one is never alone. And solo travelers make for kindred spirits. On occasion, I've struck up conversations with them, found we had things in common, and we decided to have dinner that night. Nothing involved or heavy-duty. Totally platonic, which made it nice.

The one that stands out on my mind was my first solo trip to Paris. I was standing on the upper platform of the Eiffel Tower and 3 girls with accents from my general area were talking, so I struck up a conversation. They lived within 30 miles of me. So, we walked over to the Champs d'Elysees for sidewalk coffee and I then helped an attempt to get replacement contacts she had lost on the Eiffel Tower at an eye boutique without much luck. Fortunately, she had glasses. There are so many jerks in the world and then, out of nowhere, we meet nice people.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it must have been the time of year (autumn) when I travelled for about 3 months alone in Europe, but I just met a ton of Australians with whom I got along famously (and drunkenly). One Ozzy I met in Holland, I had dinner with, then I met him again in Florence entirely by accident (in the Boboli Gardens). I'm glad I kept of diary of my travels, precious for names of people met and places seen.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Originally I was going to go to Florida alone when I was 16, but we ended up deciding that my boyfriend was going to go with me, and so my aunt and her wife got to meet my significant other. We spent two weeks down there that summer.

4. robotman

I haven't traveled but I think that is what I should do with myself... My life is a totally mess right now...

5. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Wow, it sounds like solo travel is quite a common thing then, judging by this thread. I remember this guy who was biking from South Africa to the north of Africa alone who was on the news once. I guess I just need to "man up" and just do it haha.

6. Harve

Almaty is awesome! (and I'd love to visit Romania too actually)

Starting a conversation on public transport in the south of England, or to a lesser extent elsewhere in the UK, is the biggest faux pas ever. Ever. :grin:

7. leer

I have relatives in Sheffield & Doncaster That I drive to am quite used to traveling alone .

8. TorreyGlory

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I've travelled extensively by myself. I think you have to be a certain type of person to do it... unfortunately, I'm not sure that's me.

Side note: I see the "drunken Aussie tourist" stereotype is still alive and well! Some things never change. :grin:

9. Hrantou

I've gone to the beach alone many times. During a family vacation to Hawaii, I spend most of it on my own. I was always laying on a beach or walking around. (Tip: If you look Hawaiian, its easier and cheaper to go places. They scam or charge more for tourists)

If I had more money I would travel by myself more. I like being alone with my thoughts and just adventuring around. Don't get me wrong, I love company. It's just rare to find someone who gets me and can actually travel with me.

10. iHateThinking

Does being an unaccompanied minor on a plane, but going to visit family count? Now that I'm older I usually take the plane down by myself to Florida to visit my father.

I think the farthest I've been locally on my own is the mall, which is about half an hour away by train... The city it's in is 8 miles long, and is on the border going into the next one. I went by myself last week, actually. :lol: was fun, quiet. No people nagging me to go into this store or that. I'd go to NYC but my mom would freak out, and I'd probably get lost.

11. Strathclyder

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have, to numerous places all over Glasgow and beyond.

12. Donnerschlag

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If I had the money and time, I would preferably travel alone. Also as long as I have my laptop/phone money/credit with me, it'll be fine. I'm planning to go alone to Hongkong next year for my birthday then saving for Europe by 2015. I just find travelling alone more enjoyable than with someone; well for me, since I don't have friends.

13. stephenstills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have travelled abroad by myself quite a lot and I just love the experience. It makes me feel free and independent. Plus, surprisingly, even though I'm not the most talkative person I've met several of my best friends this way.

The 1st time I travelled alone I did it because I was going to study abroad and I was scared to heck because I was 19 years old and I had never travelled locally before in my life, let alone flown by plane :lol:. I also didn't think my English was up to the challenge (I studied abroad in Western Canada). I felt super independent and proud of myself when I made it to my dorm room though and I was very happy all throughout the semester. I have since done my share of travelling and backpacking alone or with friends.

14. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Frequently I've traveled on my own to Sydney, since I have family there, so plane trips from Melbourne to NSW and back once every three-four months. But, that's the extent of it.

I'd love to travel independently once I'm older and have enough funds as well as an actual plan. I've highly considered going abroad to Canada for international study.... or tour around (South) America as well as Northern and Eastern Europe. Japan, too, one day.

15. tulman

How times change. When I was a kid hitchhiking was common. Now it's illegal. I never hitchhiked cross country but knew a few guys who did, some every summer. I did hitchhike to and from neighboring states a few times. There were no buses when after school activities ended so hitchhiking home was an accepted practice. Even girls sometimes hitchhiked alone, not as often as guys but it wasn't uncommon. A fiend's daughter and her boyfriend hitchhiked from IL to TX in the mid 70s when she was 16. Now I prefer my Harley. One of life and freedom's best experiences is the American West from the saddle of a Harley on a beautiful day with a Harley engine singing to you, alone or with a loved one perched behind you.

16. ScatteredEarth

Seems like alot of people are going to Florida.. Why am I never notified of this ahead of time? :tantrum:

lol But I'm really excited for the winter. I plan on visiting my S/O, so you can see why I hate how long days are.

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh man! That is number one on my bucket list: to do as soon as possible! (maybe get some motorcycle maintenance training beforehand)...

18. tulman

Oh man! That is number one on my bucket list: to do as soon as possible! (maybe get some motorcycle maintenance training beforehand)...[/QUOTE]

If you're a new rider take a rider training course. They can't be recommended strongly enough. The things you will learn can literally help you stay alive. I wish you nothing but pleasant adventures and happiness. I've been riding for decades and clocked well over 200K miles. It never gets old. And there are many others who ride more than me. Most modern motorcycles are well built and reliable. They'll give you years of service if you do regular maintenance similar to your car.

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're a new rider take a rider training course. They can't be recommended strongly enough. The things you will learn can literally help you stay alive. I wish you nothing but pleasant adventures and happiness. I've been riding for decades and clocked well over 200K miles. It never gets old. And there are many others who ride more than me. Most modern motorcycles are well built and reliable. They'll give you years of service if you do regular maintenance similar to your car.[/QUOTE]

Yeah rider training is not even a question, just because you can ride a bicycle doesn't mean you can ride a motorcycle, two entirely different forms of transportation. 200K you say? Awesome!

20. RocketMoose27

I'd love to travel alone! To be blunt about it: I just can't put up with other people, and I like my privacy.