Have your thoughts on having a wedding, starting a family, etc. changed at all

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by greyarea3, Sep 23, 2013.

1. greyarea3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, so I didn't really know where to post this, but if you're reading this, thank you! :slight_smile:

So, I'm really not close to coming out, but I'm slowly getting to "that point" where I'm okay with myself. Something that I've noticed, however, in the past few months, is that I've started day dreaming about having a wedding and a family one day! *shock shock* I mean, I was "that kid" growing up who constantly told her mom and family, "I'm never getting married, and I'm never having human children....just dog children." Haha. But, now that I'm becoming more comfortable with the idea of spending my life with a woman (possibly), I've gotten kind of excited by the idea of a nice wedding and having a family, with actual human children (and of course dog children). :slight_smile:

My question is, have any of y'all experienced this? You start to become more comfortable and confident with your sexuality and you start noticing these changes. Just curious. :slight_smile:

#1 greyarea3, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. Zac

Zac

I used to want children when I was ummmm about 10
    But as soon as I was 15 I knew I didn't want them, and I'm so hoping I never get pregnant

3. InLove

I'm beginning to get used to this idea myself... re-used to it? I'm not sure.

When I was younger I had lots of ideas of how I was going to be married with kids and a lovely normal life, then I fell in love with my best friend and everything flew out the window. It took me too long to come to terms with the fact that I really wasn't going to be "normally" married with kids, and I was too afraid of people finding out my secret to be able to imagine being married to her, so all those ideas were tucked under the rug for a while - as hidden away as impossible. Until very recently, suddenly I know it's what I want. A family of my own, with my love. For the first time I'm realising how much I really, really want it.

My girlfriend is more like you, I tease her about it. Many years ago when we first met, she was a teen feminist and would rant about the pointlessness of marriage. I would nod and humour her and not bother to argue the case for marriage because her ideas were too firmly set. These days she is about as far opposite as it's possible to be, we laugh about her Wedding Fever. She's followed every tiny detail of the new Equal Marriage law (seriously, to the point of reading the transcripts of all the debates and fine tuning of each point), her ears perk when anyone mentions weddings, and when she saw a sign for a local wedding fair the other day her eyes lit up.

Luckily now that I'm realising I want it too we can daydream together!

#3 InLove, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  4. Werbinich

As a kid, am I still one?, I had always dreamt of taking care of children with another person. I've never really dreamt of having a wife or fathering children so I guess now I know why. I consider myself lucky, though, not having to go through the collapse of my dreams.

5. lowkey

lowkey Guest

lol thats like super cute and adorable, her ears perk when she hears marriage..

i think it sucks for guys the most because we can only really Adopt a kid, unless there was some type of mutual parenthood between 2 lesbians and 2 gays - that would be cool as hell. i sure as hell wish i could just have a bloodborn kid i just dont see how its possible. so your lucky!

6. LILuke

Not really, whether it's with a girl or a guy I still wanna get married and have kids some day.

7. Ohhai

I have a child. I don't know if I want more. I used to really really want more. Marriage? I don't know. I was never the kind of girl to day dream about a fairy tale wedding anyway.

8. greyarea3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OP HERE. Thanks so much for all of your responses! :grin:

9. Thewitt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have completely experienced this. I have come to the conclusion I would be perfectly happy being married and having two kids. I have sat down and thought about it. Hopefully by the time I am thirty I will be in a committed relationship on the brink of having kids. I welcome the idea.

10. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was opposite, when I was younger I wanted to get married and have kids, or rather I expected to. Then when I started questioning I realized there is a broader spectrum of ways to live your adult life. However, I still do want kids and marriage :3