1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adoption Is Not An Alternative To Abortion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AmityRanch, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not so sure that there are actually "many" such families, but in any case there are also many children currently in orphanages and state care would that they could adopt. So from that perspective the demand for adoption can be met and thus there is no need to carry every child to term to meet it.

I'm wondering why a woman cannot take responsibility by making an informed decision about how to proceed based on the welfare of the potential child. If the child cannot have a good quality of life under the conditions the mother can provide, and if there are already so many more children up for adoption than there are people looking to adopt (and note that being up for adoption is no walk in the park socially), then why is abortion not a viable choice? Why should the mother be barred from preventing needless suffering on her part and the part of the potential child?

Why is it not your choice to make in the case of rape? I'm just wondering how you can be consistent there, because it seems that it would have to be because it is traumatic and the quality of life of both the mother and child would be adversely affected by it, but if that's so I don't see how you can deny the option of abortion in most other cases, either.

2. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Fucking agreed.

3. flymetothemoon

Not true. If it is that important to chart, you must learn to chart other symptoms and not just the length of your cycle. The length of your cycle may vary, but the symptoms of ovulation, such as basal body temperature and cervical mucus would certainly help you know when you ovulate even if your cycles aren't regular.

4. Sarcastic Luck

...I didn't have a period for almost four months this year.

5. flymetothemoon

You probably weren't ovulating then, which would mean you couldn't get pregnant. Or if you are ovulating you will get symptoms of ovulation even if you didn't have a cycle.

#25 flymetothemoon, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  6. Sarcastic Luck

Except, you know. Not all women will display symptoms.

Signs of Ovulation | American Pregnancy on Ovulation Symptoms

Looked at the signs and I've never had any of those. Most of the secondary symptoms I only have when I'm on my damn period.

Except sex drive. Mine's always high.

7. flymetothemoon

I think this is likely one of those issues on which it is often best to just agree to disagree. I certainly understand where the pro-choice opinion comes from, and I respect that other people will have that opinion. I'm never going to be the person to picket abortion clinics or tell a women that they are a bad person for making the choice they do, because I don't think it's that easy. Personally I value all life and believe that life begins at conception, and so I feel that I fall more on the pro-life side of things, but I also understand that this is a really tricky situation with a lot of various factors that could go into it, and so it's hard to give a hard and fast answer about what is always right.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The OP and the site they linked to, which focuses heavily on those who say that adoption is the only alternative to adoption, which is IMO a straw man argument.

9. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreeing to disagree is merely a social convention. It doesn't mean that all positions at the point when people agree to drop the discussion are sound; contrary and contradictory positions cannot all be correct. I'm glad that you will not picket clinics and demoralise women who have abortions, but that's not quite what I want to discuss. What I do want to discuss are the problems with your position which I outlined in my post coming onto the end of the previous page. I think that my objections are pretty serious, and if your goal is to have a secure position on this issue, they need to be taken into consideration. You're right that it is a tricky situation, and part of what my post addressed was that your position does not account for the complexity of the situation. It's fine and dandy to value all life, but that's incredibly vague and general. What do you mean when you say that? There are a lot of answers to that question which constitute untenable positions.

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And the folks at Personhood USA are running around North Dakota saying that forcing women to have their rapists' babies is a feature of the law, not a byproduct!

11. MerBear

I feel kind of bad, that i made that poll thread now :/

12. AmityRanch

How come?
    I enjoyed the discussion!

13. MerBear

I dont know, i feel...i just pissed, a bunch of people off :/

14. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i agree with you, if you took the steps to make sure it doesnt happen, birth controll, condom, morning after pill, and you still get pregnant then i say go for it and of course of rap, but for people that dont do anything to protect themselves and then are like oh let me kill this baby its my choice and my body , then i dont have much respect for them.

15. AmityRanch

To hell with 'em.

They'll get over it. ;-)

16. bazinga91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am pro-choice... personally I don't believe that it is my business or place to tell anyone what choices to make.. its their body, their life, their choice.. my feelings, and beliefs are different then others and I don't expect other ppl to see the world exactly how I do, I wouldn't like someone telling me how to live my life so I have no right to tell others... If someone does not want to have a child, it is there decision, not mine

17. MerBear

thanks

18. flymetothemoon

Steve712, as requested, I will address your points. They are addressed below in red.