1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queer of Folk or The L Word

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Cap’nSerious, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I’m approaching the end of Charmed (half-way through season eight), really sad to see it end :frowning2:, I need a new series to watch, I was thinking about The L Word or Queer of Folk. I haven’t seen any episodes of either. I do want to watch/buy both series, but which one should I start with? I hear both series are great…

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try Queer as Folk series first, it was a first for this kind of drama and was revolutionary at the time. There are the British and then American versions, the British one was first.

3. srslywtf

Havent seen the l word, queer as folk was good though, although a little dated now.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. LinkLarkin

I've never watched the l word. However, for the first ever time I watched an episode of QAF last night (coincidentally) and it was amazing. Highly recommend it.

5. Deaderpool2

the british version is really good, written by the guy who brought doctor who back which youll be able to tell since the main character is a massive fan, though this was obviously long before he became the director for doctor who.
    I've only seen a few random episodes of the american version and it looks interesting and is far more heavier on the sex scenes, which of course is not a negative :icon_wink . it also covers more gay related issues than the uk version did, including one character getting into a relationship with someone who he knows has HIV which actually made me want to watch it more to follow that storyline since ive never known any series to do that with straight couples. id buy the whole series from hmv but its around £54.
    only thing i know about the L word is that it had eric mabius in it. unfortunatly hes not a main character. god i miss ugly betty. i should buy the last two series of that too at some point.

6. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course it isn’t :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, I would get the Showtime one. Actually both QoF and TLW are both Showtime. Which means that they can put more violence and sex in it than non-premium channels. I will start on QoF. I’m going splurge and buy the entire series, I’m more than sure I will love it, and it is far cheaper to buy it in a pack than individual seasons.

7. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have yet to give Queer as Folk a try. I really should. The L Word tho I LOOOOVE OMG. I was so sad when I finished it XD

Actually, I think I'ma try to find QaF on YouTube, I've really been wanting to try it. Aaand it's set in my native Pittsburgh :grin:

8. Linguistic_Geek

I loved QaF (the american version). Hated TLW. I have never seen a more catty group of women in one place before or since.

9. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Just watched The L Word, season 2, episode 5, and couldn't stop laughing at the cop:
    "That's why this country's homosexuals are so dangerous. You got two people they got the same equipment and they both know how to treat it, how can anybody of the opposite sex compete with that?"
    :lol::roflmao::badgrin::eusa_clap

10. bethpurple

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've never watched Queer as Folk, I'll probably try it at some point. I've watched the first 3-4 seasons of The L Word, and I like most of the characters, but I have to say, I love Shane. She is easily my favorite character from anything I've ever watched. :love:

11. BelleLey

BelleLey Guest

Start with the L word (may not be very objective considering my avatar)

12. leer

UK version of Queer as folk The original & the best it helped me realize am not alone I picked up a second hand DVD box set from a market stall was still in the closest at the time
    was so nervous buying it .

13. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The L Word holds no interest to a gay man. QAF is the only gay (male) focused show ever made for tv. We've had plenty of lesbian shows. I'd say that makes QAF more special and worth watching.

14. LinkLarkin

Don't forget Will and Grace :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But yeah, if you want something about gay people that's more gritty and deep then QAF is the way to go.

15. starfish

Well I disagree. I watched the L Word and thoroughly enjoyed it.

As soon as queer as folk show up on Netflix I'll watch it too.