Gay guys: Are you more comfortable around women?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheMailman, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Men so often devote their entire social interaction to trying to prove their "masculinity" and the insecurity, stupidity, and willful stubbornness that comes with that annoys me. Women are still held by stupid ideas that they think they have to follow, but even those women are better than the men who are deliberately pathetic because of masculine ideals in society.

A lot of guys I know think that they shouldn't eat vegetables, not waste food, bother to actually know what they're talking about (which they still pretend they're experts in), because it isn't masculine. Women are more likely to actually be honest about it. And women don't complain about women, but men act as if women are antagonistic and alien.

Not all men and women act like this, but a hell of a lot do, and women are more likely to be reasonable.

2. AmityRanch

I get along with girls just fine.
    I feel more comfortable around them than guys, but that's only by an inch.
    I feel relatively comfortable around both genders.

3. Dans le placard

Before coming out, I definitely felt more comfortable around women and lamented the fact that I never seemed to bond with other guys. In all fairness, though, I think a lot of it was down to forcing myself into pressured situations to try and have male friends for the sake of having them. I've pursued some friendships with guys in the past and now wonder what the point was, as they were either all-round douches, really dull or simply didn't have anything in common with me. Since coming out, however, I have started to feel more comfortable around men, be they straight or gay, more than ever before. I suppose the obsession with conforming isn't there any more, which probably helps me see things in a different light. :slight_smile:

4. Blurred Horizon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have to say that I am more comfortable around girls. I feel like I have nothing in common with them. The girls seem more likely to talk about feelings and whats going on with their days, and I like that. But when I try to talk to any guys at my school, they basically want to talk about sports, chicks, or Modern Warfare. Since I am not into any of that, I just don't communicate with them as much.

5. It really depends... right now I have a lot of male friends and I'm really comfortable around them, but I've always been a little more comfortable around girls because they're generally more open to talk about things that I can't talk about with my straight guy friends. However, it makes me really uncomfortable when some of these girls don't respect my sexuality by saying things like "would you ever have sex with a woman" in a suggestive way. It's like some of them want me more once they find out I'm not available to them, I'm sure most of us have been there on some level.

6. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I relate to girls more,their topics are more elaborated,not just video games and animes... -_-

7. RainyViolinist

I tend to find girls more relatable and interesting to talk to, so normally I do stick with female friends. I do get along with male friends just fine though. Around strangers, I am always intimidated by guys, but I'm more comfortable around girls.

8. I actually have more male friends than female now. I actually don't care, as long as they're friendly. LOL

9. Saint Otaku

I have more straight girls as friends, but I'm sure I could relate to gay guys just as well, if they weren't so rare.

10. Ridiculous

I haven't noticed any significant difference in which I'm more comfortable with.

When they are around my age maybe I'm a little more comfortable around guys, and when they are older than me maybe I'm a little more comfortable around women, although I'm not sure why.

11. Hrantou

I get along better with girls. I don't think its because I'm gay. I think it's because most guys my age just wanna talk about hot girls and be this big, masculine man that doesn't talk about feelings and "oh man I'd bang her hard bro" and just meat heads. Those are the ones I meet though. I'm sure they're not all like that. Just girls my age are generally more goal oriented, like to have fun, aren't afraid to show emotions and just are more enjoyable to be around than the guys I meet.

12. 2112

It depends. Sometimes I feel like they don't judge me as much as most of the guys at my school do, so I feel like I can be myself around them. But there are also some guys who aren't idiots and I feel just as comfortable around them.

13. biggayguy

It's funny you should ask... Ever since coming out as gay a few weeks ago I'm more comfortable around women. I think it's because I'm not trying to impress them any longer and just being myself. One of my nurses noticed I had a pierced ear but no earring. She gave me a few of hers that she doesn't wear. I'll post a new picture soon.

14. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Hmm... Yes, but sorta?

I am more accepted around women for sure, and i actually prefer the company of women over men usually. Don't get me wrong, other than my fashion sense, im pretty campy and flaming so thats a reason we get along. But, im also an intelligent, awkward teenager, - and most guys at my school are ridiculously stupid and not civilized enough for me to talk to them. I'm awkward around cute guys most of the time as well,...like Icant even look them in the eye xD haha...

My humor is a bit more complex and im just a generally awkward person - Guys tend to think "this guys, weird.. ima walk away now" where as girls are like "Psh, be yourself, don't worry about us - we already like you ^_^" and i feel much more welcome there, awkward or not xD

So its partially because im very stereotypically gay, and partially because where I am from, the girls seem to be more socially civilized and accepting than the guys by FAR.

Like, guys i was friends with in Kindergarden.... yeah they cant even hold a conversation with me anymore because of lack of interest, similarities, vocabulary sometimes, and just general social attitude. Also, sexism bothers me, and alot of guys @ my school are pretty sexist lol.

15. mpac21

I dunno...most of my friends are guys actually and my personality tends to get along with them ....though not the super douche-like ones really. On the other hand though, a lot of my coworkers are female and I get along really well with them, as well as my very cherished female friends that I have...I just do have a few more guy friends in general however, like I mentioned earlier

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was young, I was often friends with more girls than guys because I treated them all the same. My mental maturity was usually above my physical maturity, so I couldn't relate to kids my age acting "childish." My longest friend was a girl: my cousin who lived one street away and was only four months older than me. In school, I had some male friends, but not any that were close. Actually my first male best friend from elementary/middle school turned out to be gay. Probably my biggest barrier to having guy friends was that I was never into sports (neither as a participant nor spectator) and gravitated toward visual art and music, which were considered effeminate.

Overall, I think I gravitated to the more mature kids, and girls seem to be more emotionally mature and responsible when in their teens (this is also due to cultural double standards). Later in college, I had both male and female friends because they started to be in similar fields (science/health) and thus more likely to have matching personalities. Now in graduate school, while I still have some girl friends, most of my friends are actually guys. Sometimes I think that's because the guys have matured as much as the girls.

#36 resu, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  17. Exstatic

Im comfortable on either gender... i guess it's how you interact and expect from each gender.

18. ScatteredEarth

I'm a mother's boy so I guess I naturally feel better around women :3

19. panem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i feel like i have more interests with girls so holding conversations with them are easier but majority of my friends are all guys and i'd much rather hang out with them than girls so it's kind of a situation kind of thing