1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I stop being tempted to self harm?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Beware Of You, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

I haven't harmed in months, I am out of therapy and this were going well until recently when I suffered a barrage of homophobic hate online and in person today and Monday and its hurt me inside.

I am feeling awful , does anyone have an idea on how I can get over this ?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why did the homophobic hate hurt you?

^^That is the heart of the matter. It's one thing to be disgusted and insulted by primitive specimens of humanity like those who would attack you, but you shouldn't let it get under your skin. Being gay isn't bad, and you should be able to say you like guys and hold your head up high.

The problem is not with you in this case; it's with them, and the best thing to do would be forgive them and continue living your life. :slight_smile:

3. LinkLarkin

Various medical professionals have suggested to me to do non-harmful painful things, like holding an ice cube or snapping an elastic band against my arm. I snapped out of the self harming phase before I needed to try anything like that so I'm afraid I can't speak for its effectiveness, but it is something that I've heard about frequently. One thing that I did do that I found helped me temporarily was to draw lines over my arms/hands. Like, all over them, wherever I could find a space. Yes, it looked ridiculous and was difficult to wash off, but it really did calm me down enough in the short term that I could try to get a handle on things. Good luck! (*hug*)

4. DrWhoFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Drawing helps me a lot. I scratch letters and shapes into my legs, and have found pen works instead sometimes. Otherwise, I try and make sure I am out of the house when I start feeling like I need to. Doesn't always work, but could be worth a try.

Long term its been about understanding the state I get into that makes me want to do it, and resolving the pain bit by bit. Some of that is about hardening myself to what others say, and realising there are two sides to every story.

5. June Cleaver

Tell us more about this hate. That seems like the root of the problem. What steps can you take to avoid these haters? Is it people at work/ school or random people you meet? I think it might be a good idea to avoid these people. When I have anxiety I take a pill. You might see your Dr. and ask for a prescription that might help. Maybe with more info I could suggest something better. June

6. Oxelotl

well my form of doing that type of activity (and this will sound stupid) but I'll write on myself. On my arms mainly, all over, and I'll just write messages to myself. I say messages I mean insult. I'll vent my anger at myself onto my arm. And then hide it and deny to anyone that I was writing on my arm. I doubt that'll help but that stops me from pulling out a pair of scissors, which leaves very inconspicuous marks.

7. Ohhai

Tried the elastic band technique? That saved me from myself in my teenage years...

8. Beware Of You

They just treat me like I am less of a person, I have had stuff thrown at me, Once in university they decided to out me by putting a load of LGBT posters on my door and then covering it in sex lube.

9. LinkLarkin

That's awful :frowning2: Is there an RA or something that you can tell about this? It's bullying, plain and simple, and people should seriously have grown out of that by university. Honestly, as many short term techniques as there are for coping with self harm, there's nothing better than getting to the root of the problem.