1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the best anti anxiety meds?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by evora, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evora

The pharmacist gave me one that's entirely herbal & natural... It seems to be working so far but I've only taken one and its effect might get weaker... So if that happens, I'd like to know which one I should get that actually works. I can get very anxious, very unreasonably most of the time, so much that it can prevent me from meeting people or going to places.. The reason is always my lack of self worth. It always happens when I feel inadequate or scared, but it's really bad and I need to take something for it.:confused:
    What are the ones that are effective and don't have any side effects? But they can have side effects if they're very good, then I wouldn't mind. I don't actually care if they're harmful, I just want them to work...

2. Ohhai

If the ones you are taking work after just one, they must be good. Most take a while to get into your system.
    Maybe see your doctor for some beta blockers. They help me.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am not sure, but I think that some of the SSRIs for depression also help for anxiety. They are all different. Some are now available as generics, and still others are coming onto the market.

I think most anxiety and depression medication isn't really harmful. I think that there are warnings about use with alcohol and for women who are pregnant.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Usual disclaimer to say... see your doctor about what is right for you !!

Short term meds to help with anxiety might be Betablockers.
    Or Diazepam. Doctors only give you a short spell of it because it can be addictive.
    Longer term there are some antidepressants that act on depression and anxiety together e.g.: Effexor

Anxiety is horrible... but can be managed. I would stick with herbals if they are proving helpful.

Some would say avoid meds altogether... and focus on healthy diet and exercise too.

Some therapies e.g. CBT will focus on the problem if your anxiety is triggered by certain thoughts/ fears

5. Retrospect

Some natural remedies are Valerian Root and Passionflower...I personally had no luck with these but everyone is different.

Some SSRIs have proven to be helpful with anxiety - Zoloft for example. However these do not have an immediate effect. Talk therapy can be extremely helpful, since te anxiety will never truly go away unless you get to the bottom of what's causing it.

And there's always Xanax. It is a controlled substance and can be addictive. My uncles are hopelessly addicted to it (along with other prescription medicines) so definitely do some research before you consider this. Usually you need to see a psychiatrist to be prescribed this (my doctor's office has a huge sign in all the rooms saying no doctor in this practice will prescribe Xanax).

Good luck! :slight_smile:

6. Mitchell

I was on Xanax, but it made me too sleepy... I take Ativan

7. scruffy_guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I took Diazepam (valium) and then klonopin (a similar drug) on and off for three and a half years, starting before I came out and for a while afterwards. they are extremely addictive drugs, but I kept myself under control, even though I didn't have a prescription, I bought them online from a pakistani pharmacy (which I do not recommend!!! always consult a doctor!). Eventually, I weaned myself off the drugs over the course of six months, taking a smaller and smaller dose every couple weeks. it helped me through a difficult time in my life and I am much stronger now for having done it. I doubt I would have been able to come out when I did without taking these pills.

8. evora

Thanks..:slight_smile: I don't know what I'm going to do yet.:icon_sad: (I'll probably try different types because I've no idea which one would be the best for me.)

9. Lewis

I have pretty severe anxiety and due to that, I haven't seen a doctor about it.

Right now I'm trying exposure therapy. I've got myself a job (in which I have to communicate with people all day long) and I'm getting myself out there more. Sometimes medication can mask the true cause of some peoples anxiety, which is more often than not difficult experiences in the past (bullying, abuse etc.)

It's not for the lighthearted of us anxiety sufferers, but it does help if done correctly. Put yourself in situations that you would normally avoid. Baby steps are key too. Don't put yourself in a situation that would freak you out and make you even more anxious in the future.

I hope you work things out. This is my last 'natural' therapy until I will have to go see a doctor and try medication. It's helping, but I still have pretty full-on anxiety. Good luck!

10. scruffy_guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, forgot to mention, since being off the drugs for over two years now - how I control any residual anxiety - yoga and meditation.

May sound like new age woo hoo, but they really work. seriously.. there's science behind it.

11. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Xanax works. But it's addictive and makes you a bit slow.

12. pokerface87

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone reacts differently but I have had good luck with an SSRI called Cipralex. No side effects that I noticed. Exercise also helps immensely.

13. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something you need to speak to your doctor about. EC's a peer support forum, and not a place where you can safely seek information about prescription medication. That's a doctor's domain, not ours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.