1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you defend yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by swifter, Sep 8, 2013.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aww, yeah.
    But if I went to an LGBT-intolerant country, I'd bring a tank. And a flamethrower.

---------- Post added 23rd Sep 2013 at 05:16 PM ----------

All jokes aside, I do have decent strength, so I think I'd be able to defend myself from mooks and stuff, but I'd need weapons to fight off the really strong.

#61 An Gentleman, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. SurprisingDanny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hopefully won't ever have to. I live in a pretty safe area, but I'm not terribly strong.

I want a gun.

3. Belle

I think I would be able to defend myself if it were just one person. If it were two, maybe, but if it were three or more then it would be difficult. I'm kind of a petite person, and not that strong either, so three or more people against just me would be awful. I'll probably just run until I am out of their sight.

4. Colours

I don't remember ever being in a serious fight. Even though I'm pretty strong, have done judo and boxing, I think 4 guys is a lot to take on for a single person.

5. ChibiXio

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would most likely not be able to. I am a generally small and short person. Most of my friends make fun of how small my hands are so using fists are out of the question. I could possibly get a good kick here and there, but nothing much :l

6. Caracol

Caracol Guest

You bet i can.

7. Klutz

I have some. I'm not afraid for my safety. I hope I'm never in a position where I ever need to use any of them against someone, but I don't fear.

8. Northern

I would honestly say no, because looking at me one can tell that I wouldnt be able to put up much of a fight againt a slight breeze :lol:

However if I were pissed off that would be different, I kind of become enraged, plus if I were to be fighting back (self defense) I would not play nice, I would most definitely play dirty by kneeing them where they really do not want to be kneed :lol:

9. swifter

swifter Guest

what if they kneed you right before you can move? i know from experience i would be expecting them to attack there first

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've thought about self-defense a lot, and I would probably go berserk if someone really tried to attack me. However, that has never happened and even though I was a nerdy kid, I can count on one hand the number of real bullying episodes I experienced. I was one of those "nice guys" who never made enemies and treated everyone with respect. However, I can also look fairly threatening with my eyes even though I'm small; people can tell when I'm dead serious.

I know my weight and height make me not much of a threat to someone who really wanted to do some harm. I want to learn aikido, but there's just not enough time. I do study iaido and kendo, so if I found some stick-like object, I could do some damage.

11. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm surprisingly quick and agile in a fist fight. I have been in a few - never started one. I have lost a couple, but the others I won.

The problem with the scenrio of being physically bashed is that these bashers tend to go around in packs. Its no one man beating up on a gay, its a group of men beating up a gay.

There is really no winning if its you against 4. there is even little self defense tactics that would actually even the score without dedicating yourself to martial arts classes for a longish period of time. Even then unlike movies the attackers don't come one at a time and in a line to take their beating, they are all ganged up at you at the same time.

I don't know how prevalent it is now, but bashers in the past would take tools to work, baseball bats, chains, metal pipes - they never appear to fight fair.

I knew a few LGBT who ended up on the wrong end of a pack of thugs and ended up in hospital, I know two who died from the injuries. this was back in the bad old days where the police didn't actually give a crap and often sided with the bashers and only pursued the matter if family members had a bit of power and could make a big enough problem.

When my 2nd partner beat the crap out of me the police were very non-helpful, even told me that as a faggot I deserved what I got.

Times have changed, this attitude isn't as prevailing.... I hope.

12. Chels

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can defend myself, have 7-8 years of martial arts under my belt. Can't say I'd take down 4 opponents, and before it comes to physical violence I'd most likely talk my way out of it, but I'd definitely drag a couple down with me.

Never really had to use martial arts out of the gym yet, and I hope it stays that way.

13. SouthernPangun

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It kinda depends on who I'm about to go up against more than how many there are. If it's people I went to high school with I could probably hold my own and beat them just because most of them would never try to fight me to start with. That is probably the only perk of having a reputation as a crazy chic with anger issues....that make her able to kill you without a second thought.

Anyways, I don't know if I'd actually be able to take on four girls [or boys cause that one could happen] by myself. I'm fairly sure I could hold my own and if they made me angry enough [cause seriously just beating up on me doesn't actually anger me] then I could probably win or take them down with me.