1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If someone says "thats so gay" is it bad?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grizzleybear33, Sep 6, 2013.

1. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    That's not right they are treating lgbt... people as if they are lesser simply because of who they are. Speak up, you are not the only one they are hurting!

2. ScatteredEarth

They aren't hurting me.. I smirk at their ignorance because it's not like they go around pushing gay people's faces into the pavement..

3. LinkLarkin

I never understand why people don't understand that "that's so gay" is completely dissociated from "that's so homosexual". Homosexual is the original word for us, and the one that has always carried its modern meaning, so misusing that is offensive. Gay is not the original word for us, it is a word that has evolved through time and is continuing to evolve - the fact that it has stuck with us for a temporary period of time (a few decades at most) is not indicative of any rampant homophobia behind the new meaning of the word.

Saying "that's so gay" is homophobic because gay means bad is like saying "that dyke blocks the floodwater" is calling all lesbians fat because dyke means large embankment. Words have different meanings. That does not mean that people intend their use to be related in any way.

4. cmarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Although I do find it a bit ridiculous that people still use this regularly, I don't really take offence to it because I think generally people don't say it in a malicious way, I think a lot of times people don't really think about it and consider how wrong it is to use "gay" as an equivalent word to "lame" or "dumb" or something like that, whatever point they're trying to get across. I think it's just become so standard that people are desensitized to it and don't really grasp the real meaning of what they're saying. I don't think that that is by any means acceptable, but unless the person is saying it deliberately to be cruel I try not to think of it in that way.

5. 2112

I don't like hearing it, but most people don't really mean anything bad when they say it. After I came out to my friend, he stopped saying stuff like that. He said it a lot so now half of his sentences sound like "He's such a faggo- uh..jerk...:icon_redf...sorry". It's actually kind of funny :lol:
    [​IMG]

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2013 at 09:33 PM ----------

But the only other thing gay means is happy. I don't think they're saying "that's so happy"...

6. LinkLarkin

Incorrect... with respect. Gay went from meaning happy to meaning related to inappropriate sex (because inappropriate sex makes people happy). For a long time, promiscuous men were gay men, prostitutes were gay women, and brothels were gay houses. And early in the 20th century, that definition of inappropriate sex was narrowed down to homosexual. Implying that homosexuality is inappropriate. So really, the fact that we call ourselves gay is homophobic in itself, right?

Except that when we use the word gay in its third generation sense, we don't use it to mean happy or to mean inappropriate. We use it to mean homosexual. So why is it that when people use it in its fourth generation sense, to mean annoying/bad, we get so hung up on how homophobic that person must be? The word is continuing to evolve, it is developing a completely new meaning, and that is not targeted at our community in any way!

7. treeofleaves

i think that a lot of people arent really acctually relating to gay people when they say this...they just use the word 'gay' instead of something like 'lame'. it does not necessarily mean that gays are lame or bad or anything liek that..its just a term that somehow arose and is now probabaly overused in modern day society.

8. lukeluvznicki13

This happens to me a lot too.
    Especially when my friends are like "oh that is so gay" or things along that line.
    I know how you feel x.x

9. MyBloodIsBlack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh, i fucking hate it when people.do that... but what's even worse is when they do it, realize what they just said, and go "oh, dude im sorry..." im like, yeah fucking right! You just dont wanna look bad!
    .....i need new freinds...

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate when people say that's so gay! It's like are there 2 boys kissing? No. Are there 2 girls kissing? No. So how is it "so gay?"

11. Adam Smith

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Coming out may be the best thing. By calling something "gay" to denote something negative is really that bad. Its not alright.

12. storyofmylife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I seriously hate when people use the word "gay" as a way to say something sucks.

13. ApexxShadow

I hate when people say that. It's completely disrespectful.

14. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It doesn't bother me as much as I think it should. But I don't like it. It makes it awkward for me, like I have no idea how to respond to it when someone says it.

15. candyjiru

I try not to look down on people, because everyone is on their own journey, but when someone uses slurs like "that's so gay" "that's r*tarded" "you're such a Jew" or anything along those lines (omg I feel like a bad person for just typing them as examples @.@) I look down on them as ignorant and disgusting. Just like love is love, hate is hate imho

16. PunkRockKitten

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can't stand it when people use the word gay like that. My mom uses the word gay to mean stupid or ugly. I've told her before that some people could be hurt by that but she just got mad at me and yelled at me.

17. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  18. GayJay

Unless it is said in a derogative way towards someone I really don't see a problem with it.

I think humour on the subjects and being able to laugh at them including yourself takes away a lot of stigma towards the topic.
    Like everyone calls me Gay, instead of Jay. ~Because I act ad have the arse of a 'gay boy' Just think people take things a little too seriously.

19. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It depends in what sense they use it. I know this man who is freaking homophobic who always says things like "that's gay" as an insult, so yeah, I feel offend.
    In the other hand, I have a friend who knows that I'm gay and he always jokes about it, when I say/do something that is stereotypical lesbian he says "you can't be more gay, do you?" or things like that; in this case I think it's a joke and I like it.

20. LiamP

I feel like saying something like that is like joking around using racial comments no part of it would be said in front of a gay person or in the example I used a black person so then therefore its no where near "okay" to use the term 'that's so gay' as a reference to negativity or a way in which someone behaves.

Going on a tangent here but I mean we(the world) got rid of Racism, Prejudice etc but we still live in a Homophobic atmosphere which is simply Not Okay.i:bang::dry::eusa_naug