1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a used video game console - worth it?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by pandaboy2000, Sep 5, 2013.

1. pandaboy2000

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey there,

Been a long time PC gamer, had started with NES a million years back when Ninja Turtles was mainstream. Wanting to get myself an XboxOne or PS4 but I loved GTA5 a lot (and the other console-specific game like Red Dead Redemption) so I'm thinking of getting the XBox360.

Thing is, I try to save a bit more by getting a 2nd hand XBox360 which is like 1/2 price of the new one. Is it worth it? I heard that those old-gen XBox360 are prone to dying and such things. :rolle:

2. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know about the 360 but I'm currently on a ps3 I bought used 2 years ago. And haven't had any trouble out of it

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got a used xbox 360 and it works fine. I only got the RRoD once; however, after it got fixed I never got it again.

4. pandaboy2000

Out Status:
    Some people
    I might get the new Xbox360 - the repair costs for these units are not cheap. :slight_smile:

5. James

I've had my current xBox 360 since late 2008 and I haven't had a single issue with it. We also bought a used one from eBay for a mere $40, the ad stated it needed a new DVD drive, but when it arrived it worked fine, and still is to this day.

6. JessicaWolfess

I bought 3 ps3's used, first one was banned so couldnt go online, second one had a broken disk drive and third one didnt boot on at all

7. pandaboy2000

Out Status:
    Some people
    Lucky you have a used one in eBay for $40. Here in my country, a used Xbox360 is as expensive as a new one. I have seen a $135 one, but the manufacture date was "August 2006" and without an HDMI port.

I'll keep hunting for good deals, or wait for the XBox1 to come out. Just keep hoping that console price will be pulled a bit down by then. :slight_smile:

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Got my ps3 used. works fine since 4 years ago or so

9. lukeluvznicki13

I enjoy my xbox360 a lot.
    It plays all my games well and I haven't had a problem with it at all unless thinking that to play online games cost you money.
    Still it is a great machine, very clever and a good alternative to just playing on your PC.

10. James

Keep searching, I'm sure you will be able to find a good deal. :slight_smile:

11. pandaboy2000

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the support. I'm just patiently waiting for the prices to drop, or bumped into a cheap good Xbox360 (manuf. date after 2007) I should have gotten myself an XBox1 or PS4, but I prefer playing with something which is already tried and tested. :slight_smile:

12. WindMelody

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Had a xbox 360 that broke 2 months later...brand new too! bought a ps3, and man, that thing has survived sooo long with hardly any problems :slight_smile:

13. pandaboy2000

Out Status:
    Some people
    Just got that console yesterday. A brand new one, was quite a good deal. Hopefully it lasts long for me to play some more good games on it. :slight_smile:

However, I sucked at the controls. The aiming was real hard considering that I been using it on the mouse for a very long time. :slight_smile:

14. bethpurple

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think that buying a used Xbox 360 is definitely a gamble. It might be fine, and last a long time, or it might not. I know someone who bought one that was refurbished, and it was ok for 4 years or so, but then the disc drive started acting up, it wouldn't play some games - and now it doesn't even start up. I bought mine new, and it's been much better. I have problems with the hard drive sometimes, but that's something that can be easily replaced if needed.

15. ScatteredEarth

I think it's a hell of alot harder to break a PS3, plus, I'm not too sure about current gen 360's but they had this annoying issue where if you tilt the console whatsoever (Like from vertical to horizontal from a fall maybe) it would scratch the fuck out of your disk. It happened to my friend's copy of World at War, so now every time I bring my PS3 over to his house I turn the console on and tilt the console around just to fuck with him xD

I'd get the PS3, but that's just my Sony fan talking, it depends on what games you think you would like to play more than others, such as Uncharted, or Halo :3

16. GayNerd

Yes. Definitely. It may not be in the best condition, but it would be nice. Getting a used console is basically how I got my Nintendo 64. :slight_smile:

17. ScatteredEarth

Yea, while we can all say that the Nintendo 64 was a great console, it definitely isn't the same as getting a used current gen console. There are multiple variables that can ruin your experience such as a banned console, jtags and little things people put in there just to fuck up the console after you've bought it :/ It's happened before

18. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Yes. I agree, and It's Happened before. *rolls eyes*

19. ScatteredEarth

Was that supposed to be sarcasm?

20. justjade

I got pretty used to the Play Station playing Phantasy Star Universe, which is one of my favorite games, so for me it was. Just depends.