1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do if your partner told you to get rid of a spider

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JessicaWolfess, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Ridiculous

Animals and insects get relocated outside... I don't like killing them, even if they are nasty things like wasps (although I look very silly when I am trying to catch those while avoiding getting stung).

Exception for indoor flies and mosquitoes - they get killed.

2. RapidJoe

RapidJoe Guest

I'd just smash it with a paper towel and toss it in the trash. I'm not a spider guy, if I see it, it dies.

3. LinkLarkin

As a vegetarian, killing spiders is strictly off the menu for me. If it was a small spider, I'd be quite happy to catch it in a cup and piece of paper and drop it outside or out of a window. If it was big... well, I might be able to do that eventually, but it would take a lot of building up and probably crying in a corner first.

But I'll be honest, I want to find a partner who'll take care of me and be fearless enough to take care of that sort of thing without expecting me to. :love: *So needy*

4. Neoteric

Neoteric Guest

Put it in a jar and let it outside...
    Not big on killing them but by no means expect anyone to deal with a spider more than me so would just as easily ask someone to as be fine if they asked me.

5. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Spiders, wasps, and flies I kill, but I'm scared as fuck of wasps, dragonflies, little random lizards, even moths, I try to set free.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually just kill anything. I'd kill it, but not because I'd want to, I usually just stay away from spiders and such.

#86 BryanM, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  7. justjade

I spray them with water to get them to fall and/or slow down to a level where I can squish them. I have a squirt bottle under the sink in the kitchen specifically for that task.

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A spider? Um.. okay.

*gets spider to move outside*

Kinda hoping we'd have someone to take care of the stingy things.

9. I'm scared to death of spiders. But I kinda overcame my fear. It depends on how big the spider is. If it's one of those tiny house spiders, I'll kill it with a spray or I'll step on it (as a last resort). If it's one of those giant spiders, I'll bring it outside. I wouldn't smash it because that crunching sound makes me want to throw up and if I kill it with a spray, I'll get the feeling that I'm transporting a human corpse.

#89 anthonythegamer, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
  10. Gen

Gen

It would probably be more reasonable for him to kill them because killing spiders is a bit frightening when I do it. Not because I am necessarily frightened, but in order to not be frightened I usually have to kill them with something large. People tend to be a bit shaken when they awake to me slamming a 20 pound dictionary into the wall at 3 am.

Some say dramatic, I saw dedicated.

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would catch it in a jar and release it. I've been doing the same thing since I was in elementary school because I was always interested in biology and had read a lot about spiders in the process. That said, I'm still a little nervous with any non-jumping spider (they at least seem to be looking back at you), like one time where I had to catch a 2" wide wolf spider that was a fast runner and was almost strong enough to climb walls. :x

IMO, knowledge is the true answer to fear. When I was working in a large research facility that had multiple buildings, I was surprised to find a baby rattlesnake just inside the door of an outdoor supply building. In my mind, it was totally awesome to see my first rattlesnake, and I started taking some pics at a safe distance, even as it tried to strike (only reaching a few inches, which I thought was adorable, lol). One of my supervisors joked that I showed no fear, and honestly he was right.

12. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    jar and release. i like spiders.

13. Niko

I'd be too scared to go near it...I am absolutely terrified of spiders. ^^; But I guess if I REEAALLY had to, I'd try to capture it and put it outside. It deserves to live it's life.

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is a crane fly, and they can get pretty big, sometimes 2-3" wide. They can't bite and are relatively easy to catch.

15. SouthernPangun

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    First, I would look at it and determine the type of spider it was.

Second, I would gather the needed supplies to finish him/her off [i.e. spider killer, a hammer, a screwdriver, and something flat to scoop it up with...or my hand].

Third, I would proceed to stare at it some more as I devised my plan to get rid of it

Fourth, I would begin spraying it with spider killer until it fell to a point where I could then beat it repeatedly with a hammer and stab it with a screwdriver

Lastly, I would cart it to the nearest toilet [or outside depending on what's closer] and dump it.

The sad part is I actually do that now so being told to do it would just be an extra step since I would probably be telling them to get rid of it instead.

16. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Spider.. simply smash it & get rid of it

Now if it was instead a wasp/yellowjacket/bee/etc it'd still need to die, but I wouldn't get too close to the thing...maybe that wasp spray with the long stream would do

other types of bugs, it'd depend of the type of bug - some would be saved & put outside, others would be sprayed or smashed.

17. MoyashiAlice

^This. Or if it's in the winter, I'll just leave it. :slight_smile:

18. pikachulovable

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Kill the mother fucker right then and there.

19. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fuck that noise. He's on his damn own. I'm a giant pansy. I don't deal with insects or anything. NO.

20. 2112

I've never met a phobia before! :icon_wink