1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok - Let's do this.....so proud of my son!

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Nothin but love, Sep 3, 2013.

1. srslywtf

Just want to say, what's more commendable than the way you handled this, is the fact that you have managed to build a relationship with your son where he talks to you like this and turns to you in these times :slight_smile:

I am really jealous. My mum cares dearly, but she doesn't actually think about how she does that.. she just does what she thinks she would want/what she thinks is right, rather than treating me like a person and asking me. - giving me what I need, rather than what she thinks I want.

2. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

congrads soo proud of him all of us on EC are wish i had the courage to come out when I was his age !

---------- Post added 4th Sep 2013 at 03:51 PM ----------

thats a big step

3. scaredtocomeout

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm currently feeling lots of anxiety whenever I think about coming out to my family members...I hope I have this type of reaction when I choose to come out...which might be awhile...

4. RoyalRed

RoyalRed Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    :thumbsup: I believe you did one of the best thing possible and supported him and did it so well i could cry :grin: i love how you said that. you sound like a good mom no need to worry!

5. Macabremelody

lol if i was a few years younger i would ask her to adopt me she is understanding and my family is anti gay and make me feel ashamed so i would be proud her son is so lucky to have her for a mom :slight_smile:

6. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Simply beautiful~<3

7. CupcakeKisses

Wow! I really like reading stories like yours. Way to go mom! You're going a great job! Honestly, I want to reach through my computer to give you and your son a huge hug. Him for being so grown up and doing the right thing and to you for just being awesome!

8. ChloeAllison

O.O! Mom's can react like that???
    You are an amazing mom and this whole thread is making me tear up :slight_smile: I am still in the closet so I have no advice. But I do wish the very best to you and your brave son. I think you will be perfectly fine though...after all it seems like you always have each other!

9. lseiesrbroa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish my mom would have reacted like that your son is so lucky to have you to go to and talk with when he needs someone.

10. lovingmum

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm so amazed at how similar your story is to mine. My 14 year old son recently approached me (via a text message at 9.15pm from his bedroom to mine) that he was gay. Like you, it really didn't come as a huge surprise and I did my best to reassure him that I will always love and support him no matter what. I am a single mum and we have an extremely close relationship which is why I think it meant so much for him to be able to tell me. He has told a few close friends at school, and has allowed me to advise his school Adviser as well as his Aunt and Grandmother. I have an 11 year old daughter who we both decided not to tell at this point in time as we both feel that she wouldn't understand and/or could potentially use it against him when they are quarreling.

He's a bit worried about telling his father, but as he rarely if ever has contact with him, I've told him not to worry. I'm not sure how his father will react, but I have reassured my son that no matter what his reaction, he needs to be honest with himself and feel good about who he is. He's a beautiful soul... I couldn't tell you how many people have always commented on what a beautiful person he is.

I know exactly what you're going through and it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one. I'm sure you are just like me... we love our children with every fibre of our bodies. We would never wish to see them in pain, or face a lifetime of lies and deception. I told my son that the one thing I couldn't bear would be to lose him or his sister and that if things get rough he had to promise me that he would tell me so that I could do what ever I could to help. I am so proud of my son for being honest not only with himself but with me and his close friends. I know that his life will be complicated and he has opened himself up to ridicule, harassment, and discrimination. No mother would ever wish that for their child. However, all I want if for him to be happy and I will do everything in my power to help him in every way.

I was going to say good luck to you and your son, but I think Congratulations is more fitting.

All the Best from one mum to another.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome, Lovingmum,

It is such a wonderful and gratifying thing to see more and more parents posting here, and see so many parents offering unconditional support to their kids. I hope you will stick around. :slight_smile:

12. Zg115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Couldn't have put it better myself!!!

13. elwood123

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You are a fabulous person, I wish my mother would be as excepting as you! Well done :slight_smile:

14. ice444

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's fantastic to see a good parent.

I wish my parents were as accepting - different generations I guess.

It's easier being out of the closet - if someone makes a disparaging remark it's easier to put back on to them.

As for his father - If he takes it badly, he doesn't have to see him all that often.

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    AGREE!!! Good job Mama, from another mama with a gay son! (!)

16. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with everyone here, you were fantastic!

My only worry is that I've been in her position before, and I would have been hurt more if my boyfriend at the time had told me an unauthentic reason for the breakup. It's not like I wouldn't have known that he was hiding something from me. Depending on how mature she is, and whether he can trust her to keep a secret, it really would be better for him to be honest. And depending on how the situation goes, she could be one of his greatest allies! I certainly tried to be for my ex, though after supporting him through the rest of his coming out process, we really don't talk much anymore. She'll be hurt either way, but at least if he's honest it will be less confusing, so she'll be able to cope better.

17. AKMom123

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My story is very similar to both of yours. This excites me because I no longer feel alone and isolated. I cannot talk to my family because it is my son's story to tell (unless he wants me to). My son is 13 and just told me he thinks he might be gay a few days ago. It has consumed my every free thought. I worry. I love him no matter what and told him this. I am honored that he told me (no we don't have a great relationship, but often I hope that it is just because he is a teenager and not because he has been dealing with being a gay teenager?).
    Either way, I am happy to have found this site so I can validate my own feelings without upsetting his.