1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rhinoplasty

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by etiggy, Sep 3, 2013.

1. etiggy

In the middle of moving to London.That's the plan.
    Just got back from the doc, bandages removed!

So, let's take small steps here. They call this correction surgery not replacement surgery, so the nose still looks like it used to, but several errors I hated have been removed. It went something like this:
    Frist look: OMG FRAKING GOD THIS IS AWESOME I LOOK AWESOME!
    Second: I'm sexy, bitches. :grin:
    Third: Good, really good. :slight_smile:))
    Fourth: I like it. :slight_smile:
    Fifth: I'm not sure if anything really changed... but it looks alright, at least not worse than it used to be.
    Ok, one thing you must know about me, I'm overly critical, especially about myself. :slight_smile:
    All in all I'm happy I took the surgery, I'm quite convinced that it worth it, my nose looks much better now than it did before.

Nose: If you touch it, first it feels numb, then it hurts. So don't touch it. Just don't. But since you gonna do it anyways be gentle. It is still swelled up, but at this point I have a good general idea how it gonna look like in next september.

Pores: Ok, this was the worst part in the whole thing. Expect nothing good. If you got an oily skin like me your pores will look horrible. Just awfully, horribly disgustingly ewww! And you cannot do a thing about it!!! My tips are: turn off the the bathroom cabinet lamp and don't touch it for a week. Now that I can wash my face carefully I'm sure the problem will solve itself in a few days.

Bruises: removal of the bandages revealed some extra bruises under my eyes, while above these patches of blue my skin is almost completely healed, so topical heparin definitelly helped me in this part of the recovery, maybe it could help you as well.

My opinion seven days after the surgery: undoubtedly not healed, but after a days rest definitelly ready for the street and for public places.

Guys, I'm happyyyyyyy (!)(!)(!)

#21 etiggy, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. lukeluvznicki13

idk why but when I read the title of this, I thought it had to do with attaching rhino horns to your face o.o

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's great !!! (No sneezing BTW!!) :eusa_liar

4. Diego89

Pictures!!! No? Ok. Congrats anyway! :slight_smile:

5. lostman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats!!! Happy for ya!

6. etiggy

Thank you all, guy! Your support means a lot and helped me through some tough times during my recovery. (*hug*)

I intend to continue posting updates, but not daily as I used to since things don't change anymore that much. Since monday the bruises faded yet again, now they are nearly perfectly gone. I just got back from my pal, we had a little - khm, eleven hours - party, when he saw me he was amazed how normal my face looked like. I tell you guys, nobody could tell I had a face correction surgery only eight days ago (it was eight days yesterday evening when I arrived to his place :slight_smile:))
    The nose is still swelled a bit, more preciselly the left side is swelled and numb to touch, but the right side is fine. I still can't blow my nose, still carefull with sneezing and touching it, still need to do the saline washes at least twice a day, my pores still need some attention, so it's high maintenance mode for probably another week, but my face is perfectly presentable and party-friendly.

#26 etiggy, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ha! No pictures, I guess. I can't say I blame him. But he's not chiming in, so I guess everything is cool.

So I went through this. During the first year of college, I was walking across the quad like space and ran into a girl I knew who had a few bandages on her nose. I asked her what happened, as if she had gotten hurt or something. Being that she was a bubbly open book, she said "I got a nose job." I thought about her old nose. It wasn't big, but slightly bird-like. Her new nose had a nicer shape. She seemed real happy. I then thought about how many kids I knew, of both genders, who had one done. In an urban area with a lot of ethnic types, nose jobs sell like hot cakes. Also, most kids have them done between high school and the beginning of college or beginning of going off to a job. I asked her for her doctor's name. I then got another recommendation.

My parents were against it, and my dad was livid. He even made a scene with the doctor's office. This was one of our big fights and it lasted for months. First of all, I came to learn that the nose had been fractured, and I remember when and where it happened. Then, both doctors were able to show me I had a deviated septum. True enough: I slept with my mouth open at night and drooled onto my pillow. The old nose was a combination of my the higher bridged nose that runs on dad's side and the nose with a fleshier base which runs on mom's side. It wanted it gone by the end of the year, so I took on an extra part-time job to pay for it, since one had to pay up front. I was partially rebated that amount through my insurance. I told all my friends I was going to do it. In fact, the weekend before, a couple of my friends took me out one night to give the old nose a going away party.

All right, so I didn't pick my friend's doctor, but picked the other doctor. The operation went fine and lasted slightly less than an hour. I went under a local and was deeply sedated. In about 20 seconds, I was out, but I do remember the doctor breaking the nose. I got home. My dog was freaked out for about an hour from the smells of the hospital being brought home, but then stayed next to my bed when I was laying around the house for a week. All my friends came over to visit. You are not to be exposed to the sun. There was no pain or anything weird. I just remember that I couldn't blow my nose and that my hair got greasy from not being washed for 1 or 2 weeks until the bandages came off. When they came off, I was not happy. There was a lot of swelling, particularly around the tip, so I was in the 3% that had a complication, which was minimal scar tissue. I personally think it probably should have been splinted and more firmly held down. After about 6 months, I started getting a few intralesional injections of Aristocort, diluted with saline, into the area. They didn't hurt. It seemed to get it to slim up some. I then got busy and stopped going for the shots. Fast forward: it took about 2 years to see the final result, and I'm happy I did it.

There is still some miniscule scar tissue underneath and the tip is slightly asymmetrical. It bothers me a little, though no one notices it. I've gotten opinions years later, and they range from "leave it alone" to them wanting to do a minor revision to take out a minor amount of additional cartilage. They said that the bridge and the base, meaning the nostrils, were handled very well. I would gladly go the route of more injections of Aristocort into the tip, which a highly respected doctor I talked to when I was in grad school was willing to do, but I had my plate full.

I've read a lot about the process, both physically and psychologically. One thing is that males make worse candidates than females for this operation. They are less likely to be happy with the result. I don't know why that is. Here's another thing: more men can carry a larger or less than perfect nose better than a woman can. That's why more women have nose jobs and more plastic surgeons will take them on as viable candidates. I think that some men might be turned down for the operation, but they can always find a surgeon who will do it. Another thing is that a face grows, and acquires more definition, until 25 or 26. That's why they want for teens to at least finish puberty until making this decision. I met the kids of some relatives for the first time. They were in the 28 to 30 age range and, with slightly larger noses, were real good looking guys. Their grandmother had a picture around the house and I learned it was those kids at about 15. At that age, and with odd looking hair, it was hard to believe that those 30-ish guys looked like they did as kids. However, nothing could help the older of these two guys, who was an attorney and had a very combative personality. So, some guys develop a different facial structure that offsets the nose and don't even need the operation. Women tend to wear this operation better. Finally, the artistry of this procedure has changed. They have moved away from the more chiseled look to a more natural look, and will endeavor not to have the nostrils look so pinched like they did decades ago.

It's an adventure and a rite of passage that's hard to forget.

8. etiggy

Thanks for the great story, Tightrope. I think I just joined you in that 3% the last few days.
    The weeks word is "Dehiscence".
    In the left nostril the stiches came out prematurely. Docs sais he cannot do anything to it, just leave it alone, it probably won't cause a problem in the long term. I beg to differ.
    The swelling don't seem to go away on that side and on the tip. The right side on the other hand heals as expected. All this right now causes my nose to bend to the right and the swollen tip jumps out of the whole picture, as a big bump.
    I liked my nose much-much better all-swollen up, just after the bandages came off. Now, I think I will get back to pretty much where I started from. All right, not where I started from, but you know what I mean. I already looked up some info about second correction surgeries, it seems those are much more trickier and problematic than the first ones, so I guess whatever my nose turns out to become it will stay that way.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Give it time. It should get more symmetrical. The thicker parts of the nose, like the tip, take the longest time to heal. The nasal passages were narrower for months because of the swelling, and after a year or so, they were much larger, partly because the septum was now centrally placed and because almost all the swelling had subsided. Also, keep in mind that the goal is improvement, and not perfection. Very few people get a score of 99% on their nose surgery and less than 99% are fully happy with the result. For me, the clarity of my voice improved and I have since slept with my mouth closed.

10. etiggy

Thanks, I know the swelling will take time, my problem is I went ahead with the surgery because of two reasons: my nose was sharp and pointy. Right now, two weeks later I can see that it got smaller, but as time goes by it's getting more and more sharp and pointy. :bang:

11. etiggy

Update: Three weeks after surgery update
    Ny nose is still swelled just like it was a week before, although the sensitivity to touch is greatly reduced. The open wound in my left nostril healed to the extent so that it does not bleed anymore, nor does it hurt but it still bulges out of my skin. I can blow my nose again, sneese normally, but frowning, yawning and smiling feels uncomfortable. The stiches came out somewhere in the middle of the week, they just practically fell out. Time goes by extremely slooooooooooooooooooowly, it feels like i had the procedure months ago. Sitting home doing nothing probably does not help either, every day feels like a weekend. I have another seven days until my next check-up and eight until my flight.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, so this open wound was the one that undid itself inside a nostril, right? Meaning the bulging is inside the nostril? That's not a big deal. It will shrink, or the surgeon would have proposed something. It doesn't sound like it's showing outside the nostril.

Yeah, the stitches sort of do that. I barely remember their removal. There was definitely no pain there.

Also, keep in mind that a rhinoplasty where they are seeking to build up the nose is much harder to do than one where the are seeking to make the nose smaller. If you got a nicely proportioned nose and it's somewhat pointy because your nose was slim to begin with, be happy. I bet it looks fine, but that you're hard on yourself. While some results take a LONG time, some are finalized in about 1 to 3 months. Good stuff. Enjoy.

13. etiggy

Yes, it is the same wound and it's inside my left nostril and as you say it is hidden, but the healing would probably take months and the swelling of that side would also take longer because of this. I expect some deformity might remain even after a year, but we will see.
    Truth to be told I'm a bit jumpy nowadays as the date of my moving comes closer, probably much of my annoyance comes from this fact and not caused by my rhinoplasty.

14. etiggy

Hi guys!

Three months and a week later:
    Nose is fine. A bit still swelled, but I think that was to be expected with my high caffeine intake. Probably gonna take at least six months to get it straighten out. Because it's still not there.
    It has it's moments, somtimes in the mornings, when it almost looks perfect, but as soon as I start doing something the swelling skewes it to the right. At least I know as soon as the swelling is gone my nose gonna be straight as a hugh jackman in the vatican.
    Other than that merry xmas or what the hell is comming, happy holidays and stuff, I guess I'm gonna get drunk and stay that way until january.